alternator changed = still problems - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34077
What I Drive: Gen Coupe Rspec

FF Reputation: 4 FLYLOW Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
alternator replaced = still problems

so i finally had my alt replaced a few hours ago. dash/cluster bat light still comes on then goes away after a while. Now my instrument cluster is going crazy... it shuts off while driving then starts back on. It goes on like when you turn the ignition on = all the gauges go to the max then settle down, like a reset. Car is not struggling, bogging or showing any physical problems at all.

WTF is going on with my fofo? :(

anyone got any recommendations or troubleshooting ideas? a fuse? wires? grounds? the cluster wasn't doing this after the alt. change

Last edited by FLYLOW; 08-28-2012 at 01:09 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
z28forlife
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 67288
What I Drive: 2003 Silver EAP SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 z28forlife Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You mean before the salt change right? Bad cluster maybe, if your battery isn't dieing and no loss of power that's all I can think of. If It was a fuse it wouldn't work at all.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

Points 130,105, Level 100
Points: 130,105, Level: 100 Points: 130,105, Level: 100 Points: 130,105, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 86%
Activity: 86% Activity: 86% Activity: 86%
FF Reputation: 48 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Check you power wires. I had similar if not the same exact problems in Ole' Yeller' turned out to be the power wires coming from the alternator to the starter, then to the battery. Replaced that and never had any problems since. Also did you check the alternator pigtail? The middle wire tends to come out and causes problems too.

You should post this in the Technical Chat area so you can get some more help.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 08-28-2012, 12:24 AM   #4
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyboy View Post
Check you power wires. I had similar if not the same exact problems in Ole' Yeller' turned out to be the power wires coming from the alternator to the starter, then to the battery. Replaced that and never had any problems since. Also did you check the alternator pigtail? The middle wire tends to come out and causes problems too.

You should post this in the Technical Chat area so you can get some more help.
copy that! will check tom then. is it a mess of wires? or just simple wires all tied up together? I hate wire work and harnesses and all that crap!
Old 08-27-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
flaurencelle
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 35294
What I Drive: Ford Focus 06 ZX4 SE GFX + 2002 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 flaurencelle Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Are your lights pulsing? Monitor the voltage at the battery. Most likely a bad pigtail connector at the alt. Very common on the focus.

Good luck, alternators and electrical problems can be a pain in the ass..
Old 08-28-2012, 12:23 AM   #6
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaurencelle View Post
Are your lights pulsing? Monitor the voltage at the battery. Most likely a bad pigtail connector at the alt. Very common on the focus.

Good luck, alternators and electrical problems can be a pain in the ass..
no sir, everything runs perfect! with a/c and radio on, no pulsing at all! idle is smooth, all lights inside and out work. traction control still works too! that light comes on and off even when the cluster appears to be off, seat belt warning light also works fine when cluster shuts off
Old 08-28-2012, 04:42 AM   #7
MEJY1988
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101883
What I Drive: 2006 Burgandy ZX5

Points 159, Level 3
Points: 159, Level: 3 Points: 159, Level: 3 Points: 159, Level: 3
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 MEJY1988 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Flylow, Look for a small black box, located around your alternator, should have two wires coming off of it. One of the wires, ground, should be grounded to the right strut mount, and the other is a hot wire. If the hot wire is grounding out intermittently it can cause some of your problems.

Good Luck.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:23 AM   #8
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

Points 130,105, Level 100
Points: 130,105, Level: 100 Points: 130,105, Level: 100 Points: 130,105, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 86%
Activity: 86% Activity: 86% Activity: 86%
FF Reputation: 48 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Let me know how it goes. You can get the pigtail for the alternator from the dealership or maybe even a local autoparts store since it's a ford alternator pigtail harness. The power wire isn't a mess of wires. It's just one wire that has a terminal in the middle of it to connect to the starter. I just bought a couple of 4g battery wire with the terminals on the ends. Also if you do replace the power wires be very careful not to strip the brass terminal on the starter where the wire bolts onto. I've stripped that darn thing and had to swap the starter out. If you want I can take a look at it too or help you replace the wires. I work tonight but I am off Wednesday and Thursday just let me know.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 08-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyboy View Post
Let me know how it goes. You can get the pigtail for the alternator from the dealership or maybe even a local autoparts store since it's a ford alternator pigtail harness. The power wire isn't a mess of wires. It's just one wire that has a terminal in the middle of it to connect to the starter. I just bought a couple of 4g battery wire with the terminals on the ends. Also if you do replace the power wires be very careful not to strip the brass terminal on the starter where the wire bolts onto. I've stripped that darn thing and had to swap the starter out. If you want I can take a look at it too or help you replace the wires. I work tonight but I am off Wednesday and Thursday just let me know.
since im working today im off tom. where in HOU are you located? you prob told me once but i forgot :( I live right next to reliant staduim
Old 08-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #10
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

woke up this morn, had breakfast and was getting ready to start dealing with the car... got a call from work "we need you here asap" FML!!!!!!! my off day, great. Got the remot key = nothing, open the door, ignition on = nothing, car is dead. Good excuse to ride my bike to work i guess.

thanks guys for all the help and tips, will work with this tonight and ill let you guys know how it went

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.