Restoring trim Questions: forever black vs Back to black - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection

Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection Discuss wax, polish, chamois, microfiber towels, simple cloth towel, scratch repair and paint protection. Use this Forum to discuss your cleaning tricks and techniques.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
drcupcake
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100376
What I Drive: 2009 silver focus

FF Reputation: 1 drcupcake Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Restoring trim Questions: forever black vs Back to black

I've considered forever black. But I recently have seen some pictures that show streaks on the trim. I see alot of people on here use Mothers Back to black. But doesn't last long.

If there is a better way to prevent streaks from the dye I would consider it rather than back to black. Any suggestions?

I've got questions about my leather interior. Whats the best conditioner for that? I was thinking meguiars.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
lyonsroar

Fan#: 63166
What I Drive: 2009 Volkswagen GTI

FF Reputation: 31 lyonsroar Great Standing Member
Forever Black is a trim dye. As such it is permanent. It is applied with a foam applicator of minimum thickness, as such, you need multiple applications to eliminate any streakyness that may happen. Just keep applying and letting dry until it's uniform.

As for your leather I'll just say this:
modern automotive leathers (especially a 2009) are plastic coated. As such, no conditioning is necessary. Any conditioner that you apply will merely sit on the surface. It's not possible for it to "soak into" the leather unless you plastic coating is so deteriorated as to be gone. In that case, you have bigger fish to fry.

All that is necessary for your leather is a thourough scrub with a 1:2 ration of woolite to water followed by a clean water rinse wipedown. This will leave your leather matte and new looking like so (keep in mind this is 6 year old leather now in my '06 Fusion so yours will look better than this even)

And the rinse water bucket (formerly clean)

Old 08-23-2012, 04:05 AM   #3
drcupcake
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100376
What I Drive: 2009 silver focus

FF Reputation: 1 drcupcake Good Standing Member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonsroar View Post
Forever Black is a trim dye. As such it is permanent. It is applied with a foam applicator of minimum thickness, as such, you need multiple applications to eliminate any streakyness that may happen. Just keep applying and letting dry until it's uniform.

As for your leather I'll just say this:
modern automotive leathers (especially a 2009) are plastic coated. As such, no conditioning is necessary. Any conditioner that you apply will merely sit on the surface. It's not possible for it to "soak into" the leather unless you plastic coating is so deteriorated as to be gone. In that case, you have bigger fish to fry.

All that is necessary for your leather is a thourough scrub with a 1:2 ration of woolite to water followed by a clean water rinse wipedown. This will leave your leather matte and new looking like so (keep in mind this is 6 year old leather now in my '06 Fusion so yours will look better than this even)

And the rinse water bucket (formerly clean)

Thanks for the tips. Sounds cheaper too. My leather interior looks pretty good. Is the same color as your fusion leather.There are some slightly noticeable creases on mine. I was just worried about the wear and tear in the future. There is no real damage now. I see you used a bristled brush. I'm hoping that won't scratch it up. I'll test it out in a small area.

About the exterior trim. That sounds good but I was just told that black shoe polish paste (dye) is good. I'm willing to try it but I'm worried about sun damage as shoe polish is meant for shoes not cars. Whats your opinion on that? If thats a really bad idea I will definitely try the forever black.

A tip for anyone.
The magic eraser helps remove paint scuffs on your exterior paint pretty well. But obviously it won't fix if there is a scratch but removing the paint marks is awesome.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
I did not like meg's leather cleaner, it made it turn white and I had to scrub it off. I tried chemical guys leather cleaner and it had no bad effects, but like lyonsroar said the leather is coated, and doesn't do anything other than make it smell like leather. I am using mine to clean my couch and other leather products.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
lyonsroar

Fan#: 63166
What I Drive: 2009 Volkswagen GTI

FF Reputation: 31 lyonsroar Great Standing Member
I wouldn't even bother with the shoe polish honestly. I can't see it lasting very long at all. Just do it right. Do it once.

I was concerned with scratching also with the brush however it didnt hurt anything.

The creases are just part of aging leather. Keep it clean with the Woolite mix and you should be fine.

Bookmarks & Social Networks