ST+center exhaust=no hitch? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
Superd
Focus Enthusiast
 
Superd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 87917
Location: Aurora, Ontario, Canada
What I Drive: '12 candy red titanium hatch

Posts: 232
FF Reputation: 1 Superd Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
ST+center exhaust=no hitch?

Hi folks, I would consider trading up my 2012 FF for a ST when they come out but only if I can get a hitch for my bike rack. Putting a muddy mtb on a roof mounted rack is not appealing to me!
Anybody ever seen a car with a center exhaust with a trailer hitch?


Superd is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast
 
Focus YBTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 97107
Location: Southeast, MI
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

Posts: 529
Points 653, Level 13
Points: 653, Level: 13 Points: 653, Level: 13 Points: 653, Level: 13
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superd View Post
Hi folks, I would consider trading up my 2012 FF for a ST when they come out but only if I can get a hitch for my bike rack. Putting a muddy mtb on a roof mounted rack is not appealing to me!
Anybody ever seen a car with a center exhaust with a trailer hitch?
It's my biggest gripe about the ST too. Looks great but makes the car unusable for someone wanting to carry bikes unless you get an MPG reducing, paint scratching, wind noisy, garage door and bike bashing roof rack. Any possible hitch that could work with the center exhaust would probably be completely heinous looking too.
Focus YBTC is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 02:20 AM   #3
wilsonfocus86
Focus Addict
 
wilsonfocus86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Fan#: 23099
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

Posts: 1,156
FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus YBTC View Post
It's my biggest gripe about the ST too. Looks great but makes the car unusable for someone wanting to carry bikes unless you get an MPG reducing, paint scratching, wind noisy, garage door and bike bashing roof rack. Any possible hitch that could work with the center exhaust would probably be completely heinous looking too.
Whoa calm down bro MPG reducing (not really at all unless you are driving well over 100 miles where you see a 1-3 reduction ouuuuuu), paint scratching (all the contact points are rubber, no scratches on my car), wind noisy (well, I'vvve got the AeroBlades, so no noise at all my good friend), garage door (what about it, I've got one) and bike bashing (nope, all my bikes are still pristine) roof rack (which is awesome as hell )!

Sorry, just had to. It's not like you are going to be buying the ST and wanting to put a hitch mounted rack on. Oh boy. You made my night though!
__________________
"If in doubt.. Flat out." - Colin McRae
wilsonfocus86 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast
 
Focus YBTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 97107
Location: Southeast, MI
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

Posts: 529
Points 653, Level 13
Points: 653, Level: 13 Points: 653, Level: 13 Points: 653, Level: 13
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonfocus86 View Post
Whoa calm down bro MPG reducing (not really at all unless you are driving well over 100 miles where you see a 1-3 reduction ouuuuuu), paint scratching (all the contact points are rubber, no scratches on my car), wind noisy (well, I'vvve got the AeroBlades, so no noise at all my good friend), garage door (what about it, I've got one) and bike bashing (nope, all my bikes are still pristine) roof rack (which is awesome as hell )!

Sorry, just had to. It's not like you are going to be buying the ST and wanting to put a hitch mounted rack on. Oh boy. You made my night though!
I've heard it all before and I don't believe any of it. In my experience the only advantage a roof rack has is that it displays your "lifestyle" way up high for all those folks that like to make a statement about themselves more than they like to ride a bike. That roof racks are a much larger detriment to fuel economy over hitch racks can't be disputed by any serious person. You could probably get around the paint scratches with a little ingenuity but the amount of people that should know better that drive their expensive bikes into their garages or other overhangs thereby ruining their bikes, racks, car roof and garage doors is staggering. All it takes is once after a hard ride when you're pretty fatigued and inattentive. I've seen many people I know do it that I never dreamed would. As for "aeroblades" you got me there, never heard of that and don't care to Google it at the moment but most roof racks with bikes on them are noisy.

That said, the ST clearly chose looks over usability for me at least. I'm not going to buy multiple vehicles just to have a special one to transport bikes and will never use a roof rack. An optional rear exhaust setup that allowed the use of a trailer hitch for a rack would have been nice. It could have even been a dealer installed option. If you look at the back of the ST you can imagine a hitch will be possible but I can't imagine it being as hidden as a regular Focus hitch, it would negatively impact ground clearance on the lowered ST going up and down driveways and it would probably look terrible.

Focus YBTC is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic
 
feta_mgp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88210
Location: Vero Beach, FL
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

Posts: 2,652
Points 3,276, Level 35
Points: 3,276, Level: 35 Points: 3,276, Level: 35 Points: 3,276, Level: 35
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus YBTC View Post
I've heard it all before and I don't believe any of it. In my experience the only advantage a roof rack has is that it displays your "lifestyle" way up high for all those folks that like to make a statement about themselves more than they like to ride a bike. That roof racks are a much larger detriment to fuel economy over hitch racks can't be disputed by any serious person. You could probably get around the paint scratches with a little ingenuity but the amount of people that should know better that drive their expensive bikes into their garages or other overhangs thereby ruining their bikes, racks, car roof and garage doors is staggering. All it takes is once after a hard ride when you're pretty fatigued and inattentive. I've seen many people I know do it that I never dreamed would. As for "aeroblades" you got me there, never heard of that and don't care to Google it at the moment but most roof racks with bikes on them are noisy.

That said, the ST clearly chose looks over usability for me at least. I'm not going to buy multiple vehicles just to have a special one to transport bikes and will never use a roof rack. An optional rear exhaust setup that allowed the use of a trailer hitch for a rack would have been nice. It could have even been a dealer installed option. If you look at the back of the ST you can imagine a hitch will be possible but I can't imagine it being as hidden as a regular Focus hitch, it would negatively impact ground clearance on the lowered ST going up and down driveways and it would probably look terrible.

It is disputable by anyone who knows anything about aerodynamics and how it affects a 3200lb car going 60-70mph... you will NOT see a noticeable dip in fuel economy with a roof rack. Especially the Aeroblade (and I don't even have one!) first of all a roof rack is not a sheet sticking straight up catching wind and producing much more drag... it's a rack, usually now designed with "flat" bars across, and a purposefully (and aesthetically cool/customizable) designed "shield" up in front to deflect the air up and over just like your windshield does. So... you know, it's not going to do a damn thing to your fuel economy.

As for slamming your bikes into your garage door and damaging your car, all I read in that paragraph was that you're telling yourself you're going to be one of those people and apparently you don't know how to handle your bike or pay attention. If you're too fatigued to realize your bike is on your roof rack and drive it into your garage, you shouldn't be driving anyway. And if you know a lot of those people maybe you should tell them what I just said.

Just my .02.

Do some research on the matter before you spit out "indisputable" facts.
__________________
2012 SGM SEL Sedan Job 1 BD 6/2011
FSWERKS Cool-Flo w/ ITG Filter | FSWERKS Stealth Exhaust | 17x7.5 Axis Sport XMX Graphite wheels | Eibach Sportlines on Ti Handling Pkg bits
Sonic Crew #28
feta_mgp is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
kylesvt720
NeedsMoarEverything
 
kylesvt720's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Fan#: 51359
Location: Lake Orion, MI
What I Drive: 2006 Saabaru "The Unicorn"

Posts: 11,127
Points 10,823, Level 68
Points: 10,823, Level: 68 Points: 10,823, Level: 68 Points: 10,823, Level: 68
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 17 kylesvt720 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
It is disputable by anyone who knows anything about aerodynamics and how it affects a 3200lb car going 60-70mph... you will NOT see a noticeable dip in fuel economy with a roof rack. Especially the Aeroblade (and I don't even have one!) first of all a roof rack is not a sheet sticking straight up catching wind and producing much more drag... it's a rack, usually now designed with "flat" bars across, and a purposefully (and aesthetically cool/customizable) designed "shield" up in front to deflect the air up and over just like your windshield does. So... you know, it's not going to do a damn thing to your fuel economy.

Just my .02.

Do some research on the matter before you spit out "indisputable" facts.
He is talking I think more the mileage difference with a rack and a couple bikes on it, versus the bikes being tucked behind the car. I know my friends A4 loses about 2-3mpg highway with either the rack and two bikes, or the rack and a thule box for his skis.
__________________
Jeremy Clarkson on Detroit: “God may have created the world in six days, but while he was resting on the seventh, Beelzebub popped up and did this place.”


ST CREW #107 / TEAM DURATEC #93 / D23 Crew #3
kylesvt720 is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast
 
Focus YBTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 97107
Location: Southeast, MI
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

Posts: 529
Points 653, Level 13
Points: 653, Level: 13 Points: 653, Level: 13 Points: 653, Level: 13
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
It is disputable by anyone who knows anything about aerodynamics and how it affects a 3200lb car going 60-70mph... you will NOT see a noticeable dip in fuel economy with a roof rack. Especially the Aeroblade (and I don't even have one!) first of all a roof rack is not a sheet sticking straight up catching wind and producing much more drag... it's a rack, usually now designed with "flat" bars across, and a purposefully (and aesthetically cool/customizable) designed "shield" up in front to deflect the air up and over just like your windshield does. So... you know, it's not going to do a damn thing to your fuel economy.

As for slamming your bikes into your garage door and damaging your car, all I read in that paragraph was that you're telling yourself you're going to be one of those people and apparently you don't know how to handle your bike or pay attention. If you're too fatigued to realize your bike is on your roof rack and drive it into your garage, you shouldn't be driving anyway. And if you know a lot of those people maybe you should tell them what I just said.

Just my .02.

Do some research on the matter before you spit out "indisputable" facts.
A roof rack without bikes on it will impact fuel economy a significant bit, perhaps a special aerodynamic one will do so less than a conventional one. Put some bikes up there in the air flow over the top of the car and you're talking a major MPG hit. A hitch rack without bikes on it will impact fuel economy a tiny bit at best and a small bit with bikes on it. It's been documented many times and I just don't have time to go around educating you obstinate deniers, look it up yourself.

As far as running your roof racked bikes into an overhang, no one thinks they will do it but I've seen it happen so often that I know it's a very real concern. It's extremely expensive when it happens.

Quote:
he Roof Rack MPG Experiment

He compared the gas mileage of his car at 54.7 mph (88 kph) with 1) no roof racks, 2) an empty roof rack, and 3) a mountain bike on the roof rack.

He found that compared to the baseline of no roof rack, the empty rack reduced his MPG by -12.7% and the roof rack with a bicycle reduced it by a whooping -27.3%. And since air resistance increases exponentially with speed, the difference would have been even bigger at 70 mph (many people drive at that speed).

While the methodology isn't 100% scientific, and every vehicle will be affected differently by a roof rack, it gives a good idea of how big a difference a roof rack (empty and full) can make.

So please, if you're not using it, take the roof rack off your car (and forward this tip to your family & friends)! It's such a simple trick, like inflating your tires properly, that could save millions of gallons of gas.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...ffect-mgp1.htm
Focus YBTC is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #8
BlazedReaper
Focus Enthusiast
 
BlazedReaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Fan#: 92613
Location: Clarksville, TN
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze SE Hatch

Posts: 422
FF Reputation: 1 BlazedReaper Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
not me...

im sure it could be modified to work, but i think itd probably be cheaper to tinker and move the exhaust the use the cut out in the bumper for the hitch...
__________________
Ray Moyer
current:2012 Yellow Blaze SE Hatch
old:2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4
2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac (R.I.P. )
BlazedReaper is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 11:32 PM   #9
bawxcar
Focus Enthusiast
 
bawxcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Fan#: 80841
Location: Shelburne, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Ti HB (401A)

Posts: 542
Points 2,579, Level 30
Points: 2,579, Level: 30 Points: 2,579, Level: 30 Points: 2,579, Level: 30
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 bawxcar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The minis have one that goes underneath the exhaust pipes.. Does it not? I'm talking the Cooper S series. I've seen one with a small street Bike on a small trailer before..

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S2 using FF Mobile. [Android build 4.0.4]
__________________
'12 Focus Ti HB SGM - Maxxis Victra on KMC RockStar 18x8"
bawxcar is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 02:44 AM   #10
djwrg04
Focus Enthusiast
 
djwrg04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Fan#: 78546
Location: Louisville, KY
What I Drive: 2000 Sangria/Torreador Red SE

Posts: 282
Points 823, Level 15
Points: 823, Level: 15 Points: 823, Level: 15 Points: 823, Level: 15
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 djwrg04 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonfocus86 View Post
Whoa calm down bro MPG reducing (not really at all unless you are driving well over 100 miles where you see a 1-3 reduction ouuuuuu), paint scratching (all the contact points are rubber, no scratches on my car), wind noisy (well, I'vvve got the AeroBlades, so no noise at all my good friend), garage door (what about it, I've got one) and bike bashing (nope, all my bikes are still pristine) roof rack (which is awesome as hell )!

Sorry, just had to. It's not like you are going to be buying the ST and wanting to put a hitch mounted rack on. Oh boy. You made my night though!
^^ lol

Sent from my DROID X2 using FF Mobile
__________________
Sedan Revolution #231 || FocusXtreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbridledCarnage View Post
im not paying 124 a night. period. lol bring a gun and bunker down!
djwrg04 is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Audi S3, Ford Fusion and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area. Challenger Hellcat - Charger Hellcat