The hunt to get a Nav MyFord Touch... - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The hunt to get a Nav MyFord Touch...

Good morning, board.

When I ordered my car, it was a few months before the model released. As such, it was a bit tough to get exactly what I wanted. I needed a new car, and I waited for about 6 weeks to get the one that was only missing a single feature I wanted: the Navigation system. If I wanted it, I'd have had to wait another 6 months or so, which I could not have done. At the time, dealerships and salesmen were telling customers that we'd be able to upgrade to it later down the line, so it wasn't a huge deal.

But they lied.

Right now, the only way to get a replacement APIM with navigation is to have a VIN # and part serial number (not part number...the serial number of the actual module currently installed). That means, the only way to get the nav system now is to currently *have* a nav system in need of replacement. From what we've already seen, the modules are completely interchangeable: Just unplug one and plug the other in and it does all of the rest. This means I just have to find the nav system module!

fordparts.com sells the one we need for the 2012 Focus Titanium for $1062, but the actual purchase has to be done through a dealership...which hits the same dilemma. Trolling eBay isn't easy because very few people are parting out their new cars...one forum member was lucky enough to grab the module for $500, but that's not likely to happen again anytime soon.

So we need to come up with a plan! Anyone have any contacts or thoughts on how to accomplish this feat? I know there was some interest in doing this exact thing over the course of the past year...I know a few people were very unhappy with how Sync Navigation was built up in their minds and then crushed when they received the cars and realized how utterly useless it was. Here's the info on the APIM we need, and keep in mind the thing that matters is the "Ice Feature Pack 25":

Part #18806 - Audio Chassis
Sync II Sync II With Navigation ; Sgl Tun/Sgl CD W/Sdars/HD LXF, Ice Feature Pack 24, ICE Feature Pack 25; Order From Audio/Multimedia Center Online Ordering System Using The Online 1878 Form, Audio Control Module (ACM)

Old 08-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Not sure if this will help but I heard through the grapevine that one of the upcoming patches might include the ability to display Google maps from a connected cell phone to the MFT display. I've also heard that there will be an update in September.

This comes from a fairly reliable source; however, I cannot confirm it's validity so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
jcarlilesiu
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89689
What I Drive: 2012 Dark Grey Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 jcarlilesiu Good Standing Member
Following along.

I want this too.. but I offer nothing in the way of making it happen.

To whomever helps in the effort.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94835
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by oritpro View Post
Not sure if this will help but I heard through the grapevine that one of the upcoming patches might include the ability to display Google maps from a connected cell phone to the MFT display. I've also heard that there will be an update in September.

This comes from a fairly reliable source; however, I cannot confirm it's validity so take it with a grain of salt.
Actually, that ties in VERY closely to the info I shared in this post here:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...46#post4262646

I just want some of the basic options back again... and better stability. LOL
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)
Old 08-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pozi240 View Post
Actually, that ties in VERY closely to the info I shared in this post here:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...46#post4262646

I just want some of the basic options back again... and better stability. LOL
Yeah stability would be a nice bonus. I just did a master reset a few weeks ago and the system already acts like it needs another. That's pretty typical for a Microsoft product and it's starting to wear thin on me.

Like you suggested in your link, they need to dump MS Automotive. I'd be in favor of something along the lines of Android that would support Google maps, Voice, and Gmail right on the MFT.

I ran into a web site called OpenXC the other day. It is an open source API that supports modular software/hardware add-ons for vehicles and it appears that Ford is 100% behind it. I am very excited about this because it will take automotive infotainment to a whole new level!
Old 08-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
I Bleed Ford Blue
Focus Addict

Fan#: 94113
What I Drive: 2013 F150 FX4

FF Reputation: 8 I Bleed Ford Blue Good Standing Member
I'm not too far from you, and mine has nav. So if you need part #'s or vin # let me know.
14 Dark Side Fusion SE 200A
L-CCC #18/HOIA #37
Old 08-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
xanotos
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 5977
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Oxford White Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 xanotos Good Standing Member
I didn't get my SE with MFT and wish I had (want back-up camera now)
I didn't think much of it and knew that I could use my iphone as a map, but man does that Service feature with My Ford Sync sucks!
I mean, if I just drive an extra block past the route it gives me, I have to redownload the route again!
But other then that, I still love me focus!!!
Hopefully soon I can get it upgraded to MFT (once all of the glitches are ironed out) and get all of the extras I didn't get with my SE.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Ford Blue View Post
I'm not too far from you, and mine has nav. So if you need part #'s or vin # let me know.
That's not a half-bad idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayGlow View Post
Will the dealership own up and admit their mistake? If so have them pay the difference from what the spec sheet says nav cost.
They admitted to their mistake...but there's no real "monetary" value to the mistake. I didn't actually *pay* for the navigation. They tricked me into believing I had it when I bought the car, but the only navigation I received was the Sync navigation which is horrific.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
DayGlow
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102589
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 DayGlow Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
That's not a half-bad idea

They admitted to their mistake...but there's no real "monetary" value to the mistake. I didn't actually *pay* for the navigation. They tricked me into believing I had it when I bought the car, but the only navigation I received was the Sync navigation which is horrific.
Well if they said you could upgrade to nav after the fact, then hold them to that. You pay for the list price for the SD card and they swap out the head unit to one that is nav ready.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #10
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayGlow View Post
Well if they said you could upgrade to nav after the fact, then hold them to that. You pay for the list price for the SD card and they swap out the head unit to one that is nav ready.
I've tried that one. The response was a simple "We were wrong". I called Ford customer support a few times and they basically just said "We're sorry to hear about your experience".

The thing is, the way Ford is responding to *all* of these problems (from the MFT system to the DCT) makes it seem they're only feigning the customer care to improve ratings with magazines. It took them over a year and change to "redesign" the MFT system...to make it look about the same (slightly worse) and be just as unstable (I can list all of the problems I have with it, if you'd like).

I know a single developer at my company that could design an entirely new system in a matter of weeks that would perform better than the entirety of the MFT system in its current state. Over the past year he developed an application that interfaces with our software suite that is now used by over 8,000,000 people daily. Over the past 2 months that it's been released to the public we've received a *TOTAL* of 19 software change requests for it...and 6 were enhancement requests (meaning, asking us to do things it could never do but would make their processes easier). Yes, a lot of that is because we actually put money into the QA of our products, but that should just be *another* strike against Ford.

It's just gotten to the point that the system is a damned embarrassment when people get into my car. At least half the time it seems "hung" for the first 20-30 seconds in the car, and then it usually ends up playing a random song on my USB stick. That and the laughable SYNC Navigation mean the system is about as useful as a 10 year old smartphone.

Bookmarks & Social Networks