Magnaflow is on! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
VH5150
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97424
What I Drive: '14 PB ST2, '12 TB Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 VH5150 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Magnaflow is on!

Disclaimer time: Modify your vehicle at your own risk--don't blame me, Magnaflow, or focufanatics.com if anything goes awry before, during, or after this modification is performed. Before attempting this mod, be sure to read thoroughly and understand completely the manufacturer's installation instructions. Whenever working underneath a vehicle, be sure to support it on a set of quality jackstands--NEVER work underneath a vehicle supported by only a floor jack.
I bought Meattooth's Magnaflow from him last week; it's the one that he had for sale on here that he bought to use as a pattern for his 2-1/2" system. When it arrived, I sprayed the muffler with some flat black BBQ paint to "hide" it better; kind of a shame to paint over polished stainless steel.
Yesterday after work, I pulled it into my dad's workshop (since his floor is a lot flatter than mine), drove the front up onto ramps, and jacked up the rear and put it on jackstands.

Next, I crawled underneath to give everything a quick survey and get the layout straight in my head.
First, I cut the over axle pipe right in front of the rear suspension, using this tool that I bought from AutoZone (IIRC) like 15 years ago. It's a lifesaver for doing exhaust work in tight places because you only need to turn it about 90 degrees to cut through a pipe.

There wasn't quite enough room to remove the muffler assembly with just the one cut, so I grabbed the Sawzall and hacked the pipe off right before the muffler, and pulled the muffler off. I found it easier to remove the muffler hangers from the unibody, then pull the rubber hangers off--it was only 2 easily accessible bolts per side.
Next, I removed the crossmember in the middle of the car by removing 2 bolts. I used a Sharpie marker to mark the orientation of the crossmember for reinstallation later. Lastly, I used the exhaust cutter to cut the pipe 3" behind the cat, per Magnaflow's instructions.

Here is the OE carnage:

I mocked-up the muffler to see how the tips were going to fit with the lower valence; no trimming necessary, though I wish it tucked better-- I personally wouldn't mind trimming a bit of plastic if it meant the tips didn't hang so low.
The only real issue that I had with the install was fitting the "over axle" pipe. Had I been using a lift, it probably wouldn't have been an issue, but I just didin't have room to snake the pipe into place. I was finally able to gain enough clearance by removing a plastic shroud beneath the rear door that is covering up brake lines and what-not. Removed 3 screws, dropped the panel, and voila, the necessary clearance.

Once the over axle pipe was secured in the rubber hangers, I slipped a clamp over each end of the resonator pipe, slipped one end onto the stub behind the cat, and the other onto the over axle pipe. Also reinstalled the plastic shroud.

I slipped the third clamp onto the muffler pipe, then made the final connection with the over axle pipe.

Once I was certain that there was plenty of clearance (at least 1/2") around all of the pipes, I tightened the clamps, starting at the cat and working my way toward the muffler. Lastly, I reinstalled the crossmember.
Once I was sure everything was out from under the car, I jacked up the rear, and removed the jackstands.
Moment of truth: "Push to Start" VROOOOM,VROOOOMMMMAAA, VROOOOMMMMAAA!!!
Held a rag tightly over the tips to listen for exhaust leaks, picked up all of my tools, then had some fun on the 30 mile trip home!

Sound clip from Magnaflow's website:
http://www.magnaflow.com/04sound/spo...FordFocus.html
Overall, a very well-made system, and aside from the one hiccup, a very straight-forward installation. If you have access to a vehicle lift, use one, but it can be installed farly easilly with ramps and jackstands. From start to finish, the install took me about 2 hours to complete, including several Gatorade breaks. I would whole-heartedly recommend this system to anybody who doesn't want an overly loud or agressive exhaust. To me and my 46 year old ears, it sounds about perfect--it has a nice, tuned tone to it, not at all "ricey", when you get it up around 5K, it sounds really nice, and absolutely no drone at all.

2014 Focus ST2-9/9/13 Build Date-Performance Blue-Charcoal/Blue Recaros-Moonroof-Cobb Intake w/AIRPORTAL-Magnaflow-Breedt QuickShift Arm & Knob-QuickLifts-Garageline 20/25 Spacers-UK "Ford Power" Ignition Button-WeatherTech Visors-Rally Armors
Old 08-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
meattooth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97031
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, se hatchback

FF Reputation: 5 meattooth Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Thumbs up Awesome!

Thanks for the write up! I really like magnaflows systems they've always had the deep vrooom without the drone that I love.........okay why did I sell this one ? I'm kinda kicking myself now. lol It looks great.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
TurdFerguson
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 92177
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Sport 5mt

FF Reputation: 1 TurdFerguson Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Pics of entire car with the Magnaflow installed?

Sent from my SCH-R530U
Old 08-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
VH5150
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97424
What I Drive: '14 PB ST2, '12 TB Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 VH5150 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Thanks guys--once it's clean, I'll get some updated pics. It was pretty filthy when I did the install.
2014 Focus ST2-9/9/13 Build Date-Performance Blue-Charcoal/Blue Recaros-Moonroof-Cobb Intake w/AIRPORTAL-Magnaflow-Breedt QuickShift Arm & Knob-QuickLifts-Garageline 20/25 Spacers-UK "Ford Power" Ignition Button-WeatherTech Visors-Rally Armors
Old 08-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Is it just me or does that look like the op's car is a PZEV model? I see that there is a catalyst in the location aft of the one integrated into manifold but upstream of the muffler which is where they cut off the o.e. piping.

Here is what the ford parts catalog says the exhaust layout should be for a PZEV model.

Here is an image of what the car should look like O.E. without the second catalyst.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
whimsicalpouch2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87978
What I Drive: 2002, black SVT focus

FF Reputation: 4 whimsicalpouch2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
should have gotten rid of the lunch box

#586 of #4788
Old 08-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Additional cats are not nearly as big a deal nowadays as they used to be. That being said, if I found out that I had the second cat I would have probably lopped it off...

Good write-up and pics The Magnaflow is 2.25", correct?
2014 FiST-
Old 08-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
MotorcityJAX
Sonic's MK3 Crew #14

Fan#: 90253
What I Drive: 2012, White Platinum, 5 Door SEL

FF Reputation: 6 MotorcityJAX Good Standing Member
Very nice, good work
Hatch Nation #169
Sonic Crew #14 Metal Tails
Rally Rev #16
Old 08-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
BaconZombie
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98205
What I Drive: 2013 VW GTi, United Grey

FF Reputation: 3 BaconZombie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Congrats! And great write-up. Welcome to the aftermarket exhaust family, too.

The dual tip is really growing on my. Starting to make me rethink my single tip...
Old 08-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
ChrisRyan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97815
What I Drive: '12 SE Sterling Grey(5door) 5M 203A

FF Reputation: 2 ChrisRyan Good Standing Member
Video would be awesome. I have this exhaust on my list of potential options.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->