Google Maps no longer works? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
Revelations
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 101027
Location: ., NJ
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus - sterling gray

Posts: 18
FF Reputation: 1 Revelations Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Google Maps no longer works?

I tried sending a location to my car via Google Maps, and when I clicked on "Send to Car," Ford was not on the drop down. Which is weird because I just used it a few days ago. I searched the Google Help Forums and found this:

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!searchin/maps/ford$20sync/maps/GtdTxd6CDE0/1XH9Eb_JRbQJ


Fortunately, Mapquest still works, but did anyone hear about this? Or know more information about it?


Revelations is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 87742
Location: Rochester, NY
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

Posts: 1,868
Points 1,491, Level 21
Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Some stuff about it here:

http://boards.synccommunity.com/n/pf...yncmb&tid=5752
__________________
.
.......here's a lockpick. It might come in handy if you, the master of unlocking, take it with you.
copernicium112 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
Revelations
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 101027
Location: ., NJ
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus - sterling gray

Posts: 18
FF Reputation: 1 Revelations Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks for the link.

Seems a little weird, I love that feature, it makes using the Nav system that much easier, I'm just glad you can still use MapQuest.

Still curious if it was Ford or Google that discontinued the use, I'm thinking, Google since OnStar also doesn't work anymore.

I wonder if Ford will add Bing Maps to it.
Revelations is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict
 
hotleadsingerguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Fan#: 86687
Location: Cleveland, United States
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

Posts: 882
FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations View Post
Thanks for the link.

Seems a little weird, I love that feature, it makes using the Nav system that much easier, I'm just glad you can still use MapQuest.

Still curious if it was Ford or Google that discontinued the use, I'm thinking, Google since OnStar also doesn't work anymore.

I wonder if Ford will add Bing Maps to it.
I'm not sure I understand your logic...are you saying it's more logical that two separate companies decided, at the same time, to stop supporting Ford than it is for Ford to make a decision on not supporting alternatives from their competitors?

My strong assumption is that Ford decided not to support Google and GM (OnStar) because they see them as competitors. Horrible decision for Ford...a vast majority of our nation uses Google Maps for computer mapping applications. Completely ridiculous to block that functionality.
hotleadsingerguy is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic
 
feta_mgp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88210
Location: Vero Beach, FL
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

Posts: 2,652
Points 3,256, Level 35
Points: 3,256, Level: 35 Points: 3,256, Level: 35 Points: 3,256, Level: 35
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
I'm not sure I understand your logic...are you saying it's more logical that two separate companies decided, at the same time, to stop supporting Ford than it is for Ford to make a decision on not supporting alternatives from their competitors?

My strong assumption is that Ford decided not to support Google and GM (OnStar) because they see them as competitors. Horrible decision for Ford...a vast majority of our nation uses Google Maps for computer mapping applications. Completely ridiculous to block that functionality.
I'm not sure I'm understanding YOUR logic...

Why would Ford be "supporting" GM in the first place? That's ridiculous. I think you read the whole thing backwards. He's saying he thinks Google stopped supporting Ford and GM because now both services no longer work with Google Maps.

Why would Ford stopping supporting Google have anything to do with Google Maps and GM not working as well?

__________________
2012 SGM SEL Sedan Job 1 BD 6/2011
FSWERKS Cool-Flo w/ ITG Filter | FSWERKS Stealth Exhaust | 17x7.5 Axis Sport XMX Graphite wheels | Eibach Sportlines on Ti Handling Pkg bits
Sonic Crew #28
feta_mgp is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
mattphoto
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95657
Location: Rochester, NY
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus SEL

Posts: 213
FF Reputation: 1 mattphoto Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
hope it's temporary because that was a killer feature for me (especially since the POI system on my nav is so slow and freezes)
mattphoto is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
BadCoder
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2012
Fan#: 99331
Location: Dallas, TX
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

Posts: 33
FF Reputation: 1 BadCoder Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I didn't know about this service.. Very nice..
BadCoder is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2012, 03:16 AM   #8
Faygo Focus
Focus Addict
 
Faygo Focus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 85587
Location: Detroit, MI
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Ti with James Bond Pkg

Posts: 573
Points 3,651, Level 38
Points: 3,651, Level: 38 Points: 3,651, Level: 38 Points: 3,651, Level: 38
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Faygo Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
In other news, Apple is expected to release iOS6 next month which drops Googlemaps for their own Map software. It would be neat if they integrated it with SYNC... not to say its necessarily related to the above...

And as a side note, who is Dr Pepper on syncmyride.com? Hits up every single thread with multiple complaints... way past the point of calling wolf.
Faygo Focus is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict
 
hotleadsingerguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Fan#: 86687
Location: Cleveland, United States
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

Posts: 882
FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faygo Focus View Post
In other news, Apple is expected to release iOS6 next month which drops Googlemaps for their own Map software. It would be neat if they integrated it with SYNC... not to say its necessarily related to the above...

And as a side note, who is Dr Pepper on syncmyride.com? Hits up every single thread with multiple complaints... way past the point of calling wolf.
Actually, that won't change anything. the 'Maps' application in iOS has never been Google's production. The only thing that came from Google was the mapping backend (meaning, not the application itself, but the maps that it streamed). Any functionality that existed or was missing was completely because of Apple, and had nothing to do with Google.

That doesn't change the fact that it would be *incredible* if they integrated with SYNC. I'd love the same thing on the Android side...Ford released an app to basically do the same thing, but it's a horrible app and it doesn't work anytime you're moving. Useless if you're walking to your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
I'm not sure I'm understanding YOUR logic...

Why would Ford be "supporting" GM in the first place? That's ridiculous. I think you read the whole thing backwards. He's saying he thinks Google stopped supporting Ford and GM because now both services no longer work with Google Maps.

Why would Ford stopping supporting Google have anything to do with Google Maps and GM not working as well?

Ooooh I see what you're saying. For some reason I thought the meaning was that the OnStar mapping application couldn't send directions to SYNC anymore haha I forgot OnStar is the system that's loaded in the GM cars. Woopsie.
hotleadsingerguy is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 87742
Location: Rochester, NY
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

Posts: 1,868
Points 1,491, Level 21
Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
Actually, that won't change anything. the 'Maps' application in iOS has never been Google's production. The only thing that came from Google was the mapping backend (meaning, not the application itself, but the maps that it streamed). Any functionality that existed or was missing was completely because of Apple, and had nothing to do with Google.
True, Apple's app but they were still throwing cash at Google for use of that backend. Just like the native YouTube app. Apple's app but they were giving cash to Google (and exactly why the YouTube app will not be part of iOS6).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
That doesn't change the fact that it would be *incredible* if they integrated with SYNC. I'd love the same thing on the Android side...Ford released an app to basically do the same thing, but it's a horrible app and it doesn't work anytime you're moving. Useless if you're walking to your car.
Totally agree. I'd love to see the integration but as far as iOS goes I just can't see them going out of their way to make it integrate seamlessly with something called "Sync by Microsoft". Just doesn't seem their style!
__________________
.
.......here's a lockpick. It might come in handy if you, the master of unlocking, take it with you.
copernicium112 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Audi S3, Ford Fusion and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area. Challenger Hellcat - Charger Hellcat