Warning about K&N Intake - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
wantz12
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89237
What I Drive: 2012 White FF Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 wantz12 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Warning about K&N Intake

Let me preface by saying this is what I think caused the problem.

So I was traveling down the road and looked to the side just as my car went over a huge pothole. The car seemed fine and I wasn't worried. But when I got in the car later I noticed what seemed like loss in power at lower RPMs. I pulled over and found that the filter had come off the MAF housing...no biggie. But, as I was putting the filter back on, I noticed that there was a crack straight through the housing. It seems like the weight of the filter being banged around cracked the housing. Anyways, I'm gonna patch the crack with some duct tape until I get a new housing.

Moral of the story: pay attention to where you're driving!
I'll post pics in a bit when I go out to patch the crack.

Any of you Steeda Intake folks willing to part with your MAF housing? I'm willing to pay of course!

HN #167
Old 06-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
That sucks.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 06-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantz12 View Post
Any of you Steeda Intake folks willing to part with your MAF housing? I'm willing to pay of course!
Not sure it will fit, it is a lot longer than the stock one
Old 06-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
I have the part # for the MAF housing at home if you need it. It will only be $7 from your Ford dealer. I cracked the filter flange on mine from overtightening, but I think I may have weakened or cracked it when I was forcing the tight "hump" hose onto the housing.

Was the crack through the flange that the filter attaches to, or through the center of the housing? If it was through the center of the housing, I would blame that fact that the hole in the heat shield isn't centered properly for the MAF housing, and the housing makes constant contact with it. This is an issue that K&N is aware of, but I have no reason to believe it's been fixed yet. I have modified mine to eliminate that problem.

I mentioned this in the K&N CAI thread, but I will mention it again. It is very important that you don't overtighten the filter to the MAF housing. Tighten the clamp until the filter no longer "slips" on the housing as you try to rotate it, then turn the screw on the clamp just a bit more.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
wantz12
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
I have the part # for the MAF housing at home if you need it. It will only be $7 from your Ford dealer. I cracked the filter flange on mine from overtightening, but I think I may have weakened or cracked it when I was forcing the tight "hump" hose onto the housing.

Was the crack through the flange that the filter attaches to, or through the center of the housing? If it was through the center of the housing, I would blame that fact that the hole in the heat shield isn't centered properly for the MAF housing, and the housing makes constant contact with it. This is an issue that K&N is aware of, but I have no reason to believe it's been fixed yet. I have modified mine to eliminate that problem.

I mentioned this in the K&N CAI thread, but I will mention it again. It is very important that you don't overtighten the filter to the MAF housing. Tighten the clamp until the filter no longer "slips" on the housing as you try to rotate it, then turn the screw on the clamp just a bit more.
Lesson learned hahaha. Glad to hear it's only $7. I was thinking far more than that...
HN #167
Old 06-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Lesson learned hahaha. Glad to hear it's only $7. I was thinking far more than that...
The Ford part# for the MAF housing is BV6Z 9B642 A
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
wantz12
Focus Addict

Quote:
The Ford part# for the MAF housing is BV6Z 9B642 A
Thanks for everything dude. The filter is no longer seating properly. Gonna have to drive mad carefully for a few days until I can get this part.
HN #167
Old 06-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Thanks for everything dude. The filter is no longer seating properly. Gonna have to drive mad carefully for a few days until I can get this part.
That sucks. I remember when mine fell off. There was a serious loss of power. Be careful, I felt like mine was just dumping fuel into the engine. I guess us K&N people are gonna have to keep an eye on our intakes.

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
wantz12
Focus Addict

Quote:

Sorry TBone, didn't see your question. It's through the center of the housing. I'll post pics when it stops raining here. You can tell that it was stress from the filter flexing back and forth. As you said, the housing really doesn't sit well with the hole in the heat shield.

Were you the one that PM'd K&N about the heat shield issue? Someone did and K&N sent them a fixed shield. Either way, Steeda's design seems much more planted to the shield, and that should result in much less flex. O well, live and learn. It's still a great piece of hardware.
HN #167
Old 06-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #10
underbird10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88103
What I Drive: 2014 ST3

FF Reputation: 3 underbird10 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I also cracked my housing by overtightening. Don't do it!!!

My other rides -2006 Performance White Mustang GT Coupe, 2004 40th Anniversary Edition Mustang Coupe, 2013 Edge Limited

Bookmarks & Social Networks