Ford Focus ST vs WRX vs GTi vs Volvo C30 vs Civic SI vs Veloster Turbo vs Mazdaspeed 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
MacAttack
Focus Addict

Fan#: 79365
What I Drive: 2000 Dark Green SE

FF Reputation: 5 MacAttack Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ford Focus ST vs WRX vs GTi vs Volvo C30 vs Civic SI vs Veloster Turbo vs Mazdaspeed 3

This chart is still a work in progress, but here's what I have so far.
Note how much torque and hp the Focus ST has across the rpm range!
With these performance stats, along with the fact that it has 5 usable seats and great utility? I think the Focus ST will be THE car to have in this price range!

Old 05-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
WiscoGTI
Turböner

Fan#: 70225
What I Drive: 2002 VW GTI

FF Reputation: 32 WiscoGTI Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
I feel like I'd still rather have the WRX.. given all those numbers. But I'm just one person.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
RedComet
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99232
What I Drive: TB '14 Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 7 RedComet Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoZx3 View Post
I feel like I'd still rather have the WRX.. given all those numbers. But I'm just one person.
+1. I'll take an all-wheel drive car with a mechanical limited slip diff all day over FWD cars, at that price. I'm surprised to see the absence of the GT-86 on this chart too, given the random inclusion of the Civic Si, which is...kind of a different car compared to the rest, being a two-door coupe.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
VTwin60
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99432
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 VTwin60 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoZx3 View Post
hopefully the new ST proves to be a reliable powerplant, something that Subaru does not have. Yes they're fast and yes you can modify them for great power, but they have more than just a few engine problems. They have had issues with both the standard WRX and STI with piston ring failures at an alarmingly high level bone stock from the factory related to insufficient cooling (oil flow) and poor materials. The misfiring and detonation issue is another concern leading to this problem and its an issue that Subaru has had since the last generation of WRX's. Its enough of a problem that several tuner mags make quick mention of it, while saying its the greatest thing since sliced bread in the same breath. Take look at several of the WRX forums around and you may come to a similar conclusion, also keep in mind that relatively very few WRX's are sold nation wide.

I for one am looking forward to the ST in a big way. I would like to know more information on the possible RS Focus as well. Either one of those would make a fine addition to my garage.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
mjd4277
King of all blacks!!

Fan#: 64900
What I Drive: 2013 Fusion SE,2012 Fiat 500 Abarth

FF Reputation: 7 mjd4277 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTwin60 View Post
hopefully the new ST proves to be a reliable powerplant, something that Subaru does not have. Yes they're fast and yes you can modify them for great power, but they have more than just a few engine problems. They have had issues with both the standard WRX and STI with piston ring failures at an alarmingly high level bone stock from the factory related to insufficient cooling (oil flow) and poor materials. The misfiring and detonation issue is another concern leading to this problem and its an issue that Subaru has had since the last generation of WRX's. Its enough of a problem that several tuner mags make quick mention of it, while saying its the greatest thing since sliced bread in the same breath. Take look at several of the WRX forums around and you may come to a similar conclusion, also keep in mind that relatively very few WRX's are sold nation wide.
Actually the WRX(both the regular and the STi version)have been very popular ever since the first ones hit our shore back in 2001. No car is perfect(I can recall a few Fords that have major issues just as bad-or worse) and the ST has yet to prove it's durability and long term reliability.
2003 Nissan Frontier SVE "Trailbreaker"
Team Duratec #241-Bailout Money?!?! WTF is that??
Old 05-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
RedComet
Focus Addict

Quote:
I think this is a misrepresentation of the situation as far as the EJ25 motor goes. Yes, there is a known issue with it, in which some people experience piston ringland failure and detonation, (in cyls 1 and 4, iirc). Most of the community has isolated this issue to being due to a poor factory tune, and mostly present in 08 and early 09 models. I haven't heard of any '11 or '12 GR WRXs or STIs on IWSTI or NASIOC having that particular problem yet. And, the last statement there should be backed up with facts if you're going to make it at all, as up hee, the WRX and STi are extremely popular cars. I see WRXs here more often than I see the Golf. I live in the same neighborhood as three GD chassis STis alone.

But, the chart and OP honestly doesn't seem to have an unbiased representation in mind, so I guess the thread 'is what it is'.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
VTwin60
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99432
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 VTwin60 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedComet View Post
I think this is a misrepresentation of the situation as far as the EJ25 motor goes. Yes, there is a known issue with it, in which some people experience piston ringland failure and detonation, (in cyls 1 and 4, iirc). Most of the community has isolated this issue to being due to a poor factory tune, and mostly present in 08 and early 09 models. I haven't heard of any '11 or '12 GR WRXs or STIs on IWSTI or NASIOC having that particular problem yet. And, the last statement there should be backed up with facts if you're going to make it at all, as up hee, the WRX and STi are extremely popular cars. I see WRXs here more often than I see the Golf. I live in the same neighborhood as three GD chassis STis alone.

But, the chart and OP honestly doesn't seem to have an unbiased representation in mind, so I guess the thread 'is what it is'.
OK first things first 2011 Impreza for the 2011 year, Impreza was down to 27,391 from 36,072 in 2010. Thats a drop of -24.07%. STIs only made up 13805 of that number. Do yourself a favor and look at the sales numbers for other cars and tell me what you find. Better yet here an insight for you for the 2010 Mustang which "only" sold 66,623, and that is an all time record low.

As for the so called "mis-representation" of the EJ25..... I guess DSport doesn't know what they're talking about then? No they were not talking about the 08 or 09 model problems they were talking about 11 and 12 model problems which continue to persist.

Fans of the Impreza apparently "are what they are" as there is no need to make anything up as the numbers don't lie.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
RedComet
Focus Addict

Quote:
OK first things first 2011 Impreza for the 2011 year, Impreza was down to 27,391 from 36,072 in 2010. Thats a drop of -24.07%. STIs only made up 13805 of that number. Do yourself a favor and look at the sales numbers for other cars and tell me what you find. Better yet here an insight for you for the 2010 Mustang which "only" sold 66,623, and that is an all time record low.
Yes, let's compare salesfigures between one of the world's oldest automakers that's native to the US, that sells the most popular sportscars of all time to a import carmaker that in the U.S., if they sold 1/6th the number of cars as Ford did in any given FY, they'd pat themselves on the back. Really, guy?

As for the problems of the piston ringlands, if they've started cropping up again, then that's truly unfortunate.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
Rockstar92
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88204
What I Drive: 2006 silver zx5 se

FF Reputation: 1 Rockstar92 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Another thing is the WRX ONLY comes in manual no auto. Not many people can drive manual and others are to lazy to drive manual. Like 90% of cars in America are auto. Only a real car enthusiast drive manual. So, point being on the other hand the mustang does come in auto. Which is why they sell so much more than a WRX. That is one major problem I would have buying a mustang because alot girls and wannabes drive auto mustang gt's. Not that I have a problem with girls driving a high powered car but only like 3% of girls really love cars and actually can appreciate a v8 other than that I don't see what a girl needs 400 horsepower for. Also no offense to autos I know they rule the drag strip but it is what it is.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:03 AM   #10
kjohnson1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95352
What I Drive: 2002 SE SPI, 2003 ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 kjohnson1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoGTI View Post
How about after you have the transmission rebuilt 3 times before 100K miles? Figure that into the WRX.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->