Custom exhaust - sneak peak - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
BaconZombie
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98205
What I Drive: 2013 VW GTi, United Grey

FF Reputation: 3 BaconZombie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Custom exhaust - sneak peak

Well, after looking around at some of the cat-back exhausts available for our cars, I decided that it seemed like a fairly simple endeavor. I work at an automotive shop which does exhaust work, so my techs and I decided to see what we could do. At first I started with a simple "lunch box" delete, and replacing the front muffler with a 6" diameter, 18" long Magnaflow. I left all the other tubing the same, and added a Magnaflow tip. I liked the sound, but it was only marginally louder than stock. So I ordered a 10' stick of non-polished stainless steel tubing in 2.5", and we did a full cat-back with resonator delete a la FSWerks. Here are some pics of the work in progress. I'll post a video as soon as it stops raining here and I can get one.

The muffler I chose...

Techs cutting the tubing...

The first set of bends after the muffler...

The bends heading up over the rear suspension...

And coming down into the tip...

The sound is incredible. There is some in-cabin drone at low to mid RPMs, but nothing unbearable. At higher RPMs or when just cruising, it's nice and low, with a deep, throaty sound.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
asting
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98342
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

Points 509, Level 10
Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Loudness was your primary criteria for a quality exhaust?
Old 05-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
BaconZombie
Focus Enthusiast

No, that's not quite what I said. It's just that what we did at first wasn't quite the sound I was looking for. There is nothing close to poor quality in what we built. It's mandrel bent, full stainless steel tubing with a stainless steel Magnaflow muffler and tip, with a lifetime warranty on both. We took a lot of time getting the bends and lines just right so there's no contact between the exhaust and anything else. The only difference being is that this is hand-welded instead of machine welded, but my techs can weld pretty well.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
asting
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98342
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

Points 509, Level 10
Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconZombie View Post
No, that's not quite what I said. It's just that what we did at first wasn't quite the sound I was looking for. There is nothing close to poor quality in what we built. It's mandrel bent, full stainless steel tubing with a stainless steel Magnaflow muffler and tip, with a lifetime warranty on both. We took a lot of time getting the bends and lines just right so there's no contact between the exhaust and anything else. The only difference being is that this is hand-welded instead of machine welded, but my techs can weld pretty well.
I know I'm just giving you crap
I prefer a quieter exhaust on anything with less than 8 cylinders or 250 hp.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
Power Surge
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55878
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE 5-door

FF Reputation: 1 Power Surge Good Standing Member
Quote:
Looks nice. That's not mandrel bent though.
2008 Vista Blue SE (gone)
Old 05-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
BaconZombie
Focus Enthusiast

I understand where you're coming from asting, but I'm actually very surprised by how the exhaust sounds coming out of the this little 2.0.

And Power Surge, it actually is mandrel bent, it's just a fairly old machine, and it actually had to put forth quite a bit of effort to bend the tubing I got. It was fairly thick tubing, much better than the crap I had put on my '11 Sonata, but we won't even get into how bad that thing sounded.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
Power Surge
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
I understand where you're coming from asting, but I'm actually very surprised by how the exhaust sounds coming out of the this little 2.0.

And Power Surge, it actually is mandrel bent, it's just a fairly old machine, and it actually had to put forth quite a bit of effort to bend the tubing I got. It was fairly thick tubing, much better than the crap I had put on my '11 Sonata, but we won't even get into how bad that thing sounded.
A mandrel machine is over 20ft long and it draws, well, a mandrel through the inside of the pipe as it bends it so you have the full ID of the pipe throughout the bend. Your pipe was bent on a typical crimp style exhaust shop bender. Still works fine, but it's not mandrel bent.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

Points 3,695, Level 38
Points: 3,695, Level: 38 Points: 3,695, Level: 38 Points: 3,695, Level: 38
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I was always under the impression that the the term "die" and "mandrel" were interchangeable when it came to tubing benders, but after seeing Power Surges reply and a little research, I can see now that they are two separate components.

Now for the OT part...
Power Surge, is it true that if the tubing to be bent were filled with sand and then welded closed prior to bending that the ID would be maintained even when drawn over the die? I've always heard that, but never tried it myself.

/OT

BaconZombie, I like what you've done there. Any rough costs as compared to FSWerks?
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
Old 05-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
Power Surge
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumStick View Post
Now for the OT part...
Power Surge, is it true that if the tubing to be bent were filled with sand and then welded closed prior to bending that the ID would be maintained even when drawn over the die? I've always heard that, but never tried it myself.
I highly doubt that would work. Even filled with sand, the pipe will bulge out wherever the tubing is weakest. The sand will still compress anyway, so you'd still wind up with a crimped bend.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:28 PM   #10
twoblue
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97624
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy SE Sport/Wint 203A

FF Reputation: 1 twoblue Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
I highly doubt that would work. Even filled with sand, the pipe will bulge out wherever the tubing is weakest. The sand will still compress anyway, so you'd still wind up with a crimped bend.
That's why they have hydroforming.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.