Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Oil Question - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-08-2003, 12:53 AM   #1
EuroZX3Focus
Black Magik

Fan#: 135
What I Drive: '00 Focus ZX3, '00 Civic EX Coupe

FF Reputation: 1 EuroZX3Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Question Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Oil Question

Does anyone know if Mobil 1 Fully synthetic oils with SuperSyn anti-wear technology contain teflon? Im pondering switching back to Motorcraft dealer oil and Ive been using Mobil one full synthetic. Will I have any performance or damage by switching back from this synthetic to a non synthetic? What do I do?!

Old 11-08-2003, 01:18 AM   #2
vanace
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I don't believe it does. It should say on the bottle if it does. That is the claim to fame of synthetics is that they don't need the additives. motorcraft oil is semi synthetic, and that is all I will use. Besides, at walmart, motorcraft semi synthetic is cheaper than valvoline dino oil lol.
ST crew #18
Old 11-08-2003, 01:27 AM   #3
EuroZX3Focus
Black Magik

I never knew the dealer oil was semi-synthetic, anyone think Ill have any long term problems?
Old 11-08-2003, 01:43 AM   #4
Jake
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 535
What I Drive: MMIII ZTW, 5 spd.

FF Reputation: 1 Jake Good Standing Member
I don't think so but we'll never know exactly what it contains as the additive packages of motor oils are closely guarded secrets.

Mobil 1 does use polyalphaolefins (PAOs), and as I say a proprietary system of additives.

Why are you switching back?

However you won't harm your engine by switching from a syn to dino ( except some of us believe that syn will do a better job protecting your engine from wear and tear.)

BTW, I heard today from a Ford service tech that you do your engine and wallet a favor by sticking to the 5w(or 0w)-20w rather than a 5w-30w oil. The less viscous oil actually increases the life of the engine because it need not work as hard pushing through it.
Also, the less viscous oil gets better mpg and produces less harmful emissions.

-Homer Simpson

Last edited by Jake; 11-08-2003 at 01:58 AM.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:44 AM   #5
EuroZX3Focus
Black Magik

Im switching back because I dont think the car is running very well with the Mobil one. It seems noisier and like it runs rougher with this oil, especially at a cold start so Im worried its causing damage, I used to always use the ford oil and now Im kinda sorry i switched
Old 11-08-2003, 11:17 AM   #6
Jake
Focus Enthusiast

I can't imagine using Mobil 1 w/ super syn is doing damage to your engine. Mobil 1 comes as standard equipment, "factory fill" in Chevrolet Corvette, all Porsches, Mercedes-Benz AMG models, Dodge Viper, Ford Mustang Cobra R and all Aston Martin cars. It provides better cold and hot temp lubrication and the oil viscosity stays put, unlike natural oils.
That said, I'm also of the opinion that if one operates their car under normal conditions, that is no towing or consistently high revs, and changes their oil every 3K, there is probably no advantage to using sythetic.

BTW, what weight Mobil 1 are you using?

Also, is the noise you are hearing kind of a knocking as the car warms? Because, this is probably a clutch noise which is normal.

Bottom line, if it gives you peace of mind, I'd switch back. Regular oil changes are the key imo.

-Homer Simpson
Old 11-08-2003, 12:18 PM   #7
vanace
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
I really don't think your rough running is because of the oil. There are so many things that can cause that. Like any one of the numerous sensors, or even dirty fuel injectors. a gummed up MAF will do that too
ST crew #18
Old 11-08-2003, 11:40 PM   #8
Jake
Focus Enthusiast

I spoke with a guy today who ran engines for the Navy on air craft carriers. He knew a great deal about lubricants and of course synthetics. According to him if you are not using 5w (or 0W)-20w on newer engines, which spec that viscosity, you may be doing some damage at start-up; which is when the majority of wear happens in an engine.

Even though Mobil 1 is a superior oil, the right viscosity is necessary for these newer, tighter engines.

So, what visc Mobil 1 were you using!

Now even though a 5w-20 and 5w30 have the same low number, indicating they should provide the same lubrication when cold, this is apparently not the case. It actually takes longer for the 5w-30 to start lubing the top of your engine.

By using Mobil 1 5w-30w I thought I was providing better lubrication at the high temps as well, but the 20w is sufficient and at a lower viscosity lengthens the life of the engine, provides better mpg and lower emissions.

So here is the kicker. I switched to a 5w-20 organic oil today ( I can't locate the 0w-20 Mobil 1 in my area and neither Castrol, Penzoil or Valvoline make a sny in 5w-20-yet, though they are in development) and guess what?-I think my engine runs quieter! This may be all in my mind, but you know, I think it is quieter!

So, if you were using Mobil 1 5w-30, I think you are making the right decision going back to OEM specs.

BTW, if you were using the Mobil 1 oil filter, that could be a problem as well. Apparently it does not have an anti-drain back valve and the position of the filter on the Zetec definately requies one. This fact alone would cause more wear at start up than the wrong visc oil.

So, I'll probably run a syn in the future but will be sticking with a 5w-20 weight oil.

-Homer Simpson
Old 11-09-2003, 01:01 AM   #9
EuroZX3Focus
Black Magik

Im using a 5w-30, but the owners manual says to use a 5w-30 not a 5w-20?
Old 11-09-2003, 02:15 AM   #10
hendu33
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 659
What I Drive: 2000 Focus SE/Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 hendu33 Good Standing Member
Yeah, my owners manual for my 2k se also says to use 5w-30. I think the specs were changed at some point for foci after 2000.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->