02 Focus, heater does not work at all - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
snivijamie
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94628
What I Drive: 02, gray

FF Reputation: 1 snivijamie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Angry 02 Focus, heater does not work at all

Hi all,

I came across this site a few days ago when I decided to tackle the task of getting my wife's heater to work again. I followed the steps to replace the blower motor resistor, thinking that would likely be the cause...but alas, I was wrong!

In the beginning the fan/heat would only work on the number 4 setting but over time it has stopped working completely. I replaced the resistor this morning with no luck of getting it back on. I then took out the radio unit and unplugged the harness from the back of the dial switch to test if it was getting power. No power at all. Everything else in the cluster seems to be getting power fine except the switch that actually turns the heat/fan on and off. From there I went under the hood to check the fuse which is fine, no signs of being blown or faulty.

So now I'm wondering what to do next. Could there be a short in the wires or might it be something else? I'm not much of a car guy and can only accomplish these fixes with nice detailed instructions as you have all provided in the past. Can someone try to take a stab at pointing me in the right direction? It's getting awfully cold to be driving in New England without any heat...the temp this morning was 20 degrees...much too cold to have our kids in the car and take them to/from school.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!!

-Jamie

Old 02-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
m626er
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 89766
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Focus 2.0l I4 ATX

FF Reputation: 1 m626er Good Standing Member
what you may have to do is follow the wires to the blower motor, with that if there is no short you may have to replace the whole blower motor.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:08 AM   #3
MattB488
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101149
What I Drive: 2000 Dark Green Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 MattB488 Good Standing Member
This is really old I see, but your switch will not have power since it is on the ground side of the circuit.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:28 AM   #4
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
MattB488 - Not sure how you dug up this old one, but your answer is exactly what I was thinking when I started to read it....
Old 01-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
MattB488
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101149
What I Drive: 2000 Dark Green Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 MattB488 Good Standing Member
I was having problems with my heater and stumbled upon the solution and then I searched and posted to try and save others frustration in the future. I spent hours on end trying to figure it out.

Bookmarks & Social Networks