ATX trans gasket - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
JET DH
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 24263
What I Drive: 01 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 JET DH Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
ATX trans gasket

So I changed my transfilter with the Fram kit a while back and since I've had a leak coming from somewhere. I can't find the leak itself, but I'm going to try the simple stuff first.

My question is what is the best way to make sure it is sealed completely?

I'm kind of thinking that if I just use the gasket, it may get a tear or something and I'll be back where I started. If I use some RTV as backup, I am thinking about putting it on the pan then putting the gasket on the RTV, and installing the pan creating a sandwich kind of seal. Or I could put the RTV on both sides of the gasket, but I think that may be overkill.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
md2009
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93649
What I Drive: 09 S Sedan - Black

FF Reputation: 2 md2009 Good Standing Member
I've seen a product that you spray on the gasket which is supposed to help with sealing. It comes out red, and is a very tacky substance.

The #1 mistake folks make when installing a pan gasket is OVER tightening the bolts. If you go too tight, you will split the gasket and it will leak like civ. The correct torque is probably measured in inch pounds, although I don't have the specs in front of me. If you take the pan off, I would choose to either use the gasket or use gasket maker, but not both. Personally, the gasket has always worked fine for me.. just make sure you get the right torque specs!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
JET DH
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 24263
What I Drive: 01 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 JET DH Good Standing Member
I know the tourqe is pretty low, like 10 whatever pounds.

15nm - google
Old 01-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
emsvitil
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50210
What I Drive: 2000 SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 9 emsvitil Good Standing Member
Glue the gasket to the pan with RTV.

Put some plastic wrap down on floor.

Put gasket and pan on plastic wrap.

Add some weight to pan (stacks of old newspaper work)

Let sit overnight.

Install pan with RTV smeared on gasket to tranny.

No leaks.

If you don't let the gasket and RTV dry onto the pan, when you tighten the bolts the gasket tends to be pushed out from between the pan and tranny........(RTV makes a great lubricant if it isn't dry).
Old 11-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
I'd use a minimum of 30 pounds weight. The RTV will dry lumpy otherwise and lumpy leaks very easy.

I've put on hundreds of gaskets dry and no leak for years. Clean and DRY surface is the key, 99% of time when I view others' errored work the surface is still dirty or oily. Oil and uncured RTV absolutely do not mix. ANY RTV and ATX do not mix, the little BBs come loose and if get in valve body problem city.

The gasket can easily be overtightened to leak too. The pan must be prepped by knocking pull in back out at all the bolt holes. The pulled in area at holes relieves the rest of flat between holes to leak.

I'll take a gasket and no RTV any day, although I have no trouble either way making it work.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->