Took the car in for rattling headliner... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
herbz
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 84909
Location: Boston, MA
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch 5MT Sterling Grey

Posts: 220
FF Reputation: 1 herbz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Took the car in for rattling headliner...

So I took my car yesterday in for this problem, where the headliner "glue" seemed to be coming loose and was rattling/vibrating at basically any speed from > 5 mph. I thought they would just remove it and reglue it and call it a day.

Dealer called me today and told me that there's a service notice out that affects my car in which the front springs cause the entire car to vibrate. They told me the part had been ordered and it would be done by tomorrow.

My gut feeling is the springs have nothing to do with it since the vehicle is not actually vibrating. It's just the headliner. I tried to express this to the guy but they are going to replace the front springs either way.

Either way I'll pick up the car tomorrow night and we will see about the headliner. If it's rattling I am not taking my car back, they will have to remove it and reglue it, just as I originally suspected.

I tried to search for this service bulletin but found nothing.


herbz is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
Rogerschro
Focus Addict
 
Rogerschro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90661
Location: Bellbrook, OH
What I Drive: '12 frosted glass SEL '67 Gal vert.

Posts: 763
FF Reputation: 3 Rogerschro Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
So I took my car yesterday in for this problem, where the headliner "glue" seemed to be coming loose and was rattling/vibrating at basically any speed from > 5 mph. I thought they would just remove it and reglue it and call it a day.

Dealer called me today and told me that there's a service notice out that affects my car in which the front springs cause the entire car to vibrate. They told me the part had been ordered and it would be done by tomorrow.

My gut feeling is the springs have nothing to do with it since the vehicle is not actually vibrating. It's just the headliner. I tried to express this to the guy but they are going to replace the front springs either way.

Either way I'll pick up the car tomorrow night and we will see about the headliner. If it's rattling I am not taking my car back, they will have to remove it and reglue it, just as I originally suspected.

I tried to search for this service bulletin but found nothing.
If the headliner is vibrating that means the car is or it wouldn't be vibrating. BUT, if it still does after the fix, that would mean the vibration has loosened the headliner and it needs repaired too. Be glad they didn't just try to glue the headliner and send you on your way. I think they went to extra lengths to be sure your car was up to spec. and properly repaired rather than a band aide repair.
Rogerschro is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
herbz
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 84909
Location: Boston, MA
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch 5MT Sterling Grey

Posts: 220
FF Reputation: 1 herbz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerschro View Post
If the headliner is vibrating that means the car is or it wouldn't be vibrating. BUT, if it still does after the fix, that would mean the vibration has loosened the headliner and it needs repaired too. Be glad they didn't just try to glue the headliner and send you on your way. I think they went to extra lengths to be sure your car was up to spec. and properly repaired rather than a band aide repair.
Oh, trust me I'm not upset about it. I am glad they are doing the repair since I quote "it affects your model car". But, I'm just confused since I thought it was just the headliner glue loosened and vibrating due to the natural vibrations of the engine and driving around/road imperfections.

Either way, for anyone with this problem, perhaps this thread will help them out.
herbz is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast
 
noahsfocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90974
Location: buena park, CA
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

Posts: 311
FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I would bet that you are correct ... the springs are not making your headliner rattle and more work on the headliner will have to be done. Everyone else who posted here about the rattles in headliner getting fixed never mentioned the springs getting replaced. Since you don't feel any abnormal vibrations then the springs are probably fine.

Whatever they want to do to isolate the problem can't hurt though I guess. Goodluck and post back your results! Thanks ... I also had a few rattles in the headliner especially around the moonroof but fixed them myself for now.
noahsfocus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
herbz
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 84909
Location: Boston, MA
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch 5MT Sterling Grey

Posts: 220
FF Reputation: 1 herbz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
UPDATE: GOT MY CAR BACK. The problem was indeed the front springs causing the rattling headliner! Anyone that has this problem (I'm sure there are quite a few of you) this may solve your problem instead of having the headliner "re-glued". Bring it up to the dealer, Ford has a bulletin out about the issue!

I love my dealer.
herbz is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
dan50
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Fan#: 91789
Location: Too much info, IL
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Posts: 1,162
FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
UPDATE: GOT MY CAR BACK. The problem was indeed the front springs causing the rattling headliner! Anyone that has this problem (I'm sure there are quite a few of you) this may solve your problem instead of having the headliner "re-glued". Bring it up to the dealer, Ford has a bulletin out about the issue!

I love my dealer.
What is your car's build date? Thanks.
dan50 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
Ghost71
Focus Enthusiast
 
Ghost71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Fan#: 91701
Location: Tampa, FL
What I Drive: 2012 black Ti hatch

Posts: 446
FF Reputation: 1 Ghost71 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
UPDATE: GOT MY CAR BACK. The problem was indeed the front springs causing the rattling headliner! Anyone that has this problem (I'm sure there are quite a few of you) this may solve your problem instead of having the headliner "re-glued". Bring it up to the dealer, Ford has a bulletin out about the issue!

I love my dealer.
What was wrong with the springs to cause that?
Ghost71 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
TitaniumGero
Focus Enthusiast
 
TitaniumGero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Fan#: 88508
Location: Whitehorse, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Titanium Focus

Posts: 368
FF Reputation: 3 TitaniumGero Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
UPDATE: GOT MY CAR BACK. The problem was indeed the front springs causing the rattling headliner! Anyone that has this problem (I'm sure there are quite a few of you) this may solve your problem instead of having the headliner "re-glued". Bring it up to the dealer, Ford has a bulletin out about the issue!

I love my dealer.
Would you mind posting the link to the bulletin here?
TitaniumGero is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast
 
noahsfocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90974
Location: buena park, CA
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

Posts: 311
FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeroSportSE View Post
Would you mind posting the link to the bulletin here?
Yes please ...give us the tsb# on your work order reciept.

Probably a lot of affected vehicles that need this done according to all the complaints about rattles. I will be looking into this as well to fix my occasional rattling.
noahsfocus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
wilsonfocus86
Focus Addict
 
wilsonfocus86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Fan#: 23099
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

Posts: 1,156
FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsfocus View Post
Yes please ...give us the tsb# on your work order reciept.

Probably a lot of affected vehicles that need this done according to all the complaints about rattles. I will be looking into this as well to fix my occasional rattling.
x2 please
__________________
"If in doubt.. Flat out." - Colin McRae
wilsonfocus86 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.