Home Remedy Fix for rattles near moonroof - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90974
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

Points 479, Level 9
Points: 479, Level: 9 Points: 479, Level: 9 Points: 479, Level: 9
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Home Remedy Fix for rattles near moonroof

Just wanted to note how big a difference a simple fix for rattles in the headliner near front and back of moonroof made for me. I had intermittent rattles near the overhead console and in the headliner in the middle of the rear part of the moonroof area that drove me crazy for the first 4 months of driving.

All I did was wedge some small pieces of packing foam into the crevice of the headliner (between the headliner and some plastic shielding) to slightly expand the gap and stop the rattles completely. I did this by opening the sliding moonroof part of the headliner and then gently pulling the headliner down and stuffing the foam in a few strategic places. I only expanded less than a 1/4" and it is not noticeable from looking from any seat. Only if you put your head up into the moonroof when it's open can you see the small pieces of foam. I used 3 small pieces on the front part near the overhead console and 3 more in the back part of moonroof area (1 in the center portion and both sides).

I found these strategic places by opening the sliding headliner part of the moonroof (not the glass) and sticking my finger in there while driving and realizing that it would stop the rattle if I just slightly expanded the headliner away from the defective glue that caused the noise.

After getting used to the annoying little rattles for so long and relentlessly trying to push up on the headliner to locate and quiet the intermittent rattles this fix finally worked great for me and sure glad it wasn't necessary for a headliner replacement to fix this; since mine is cosmetically perfect I figured no reason for changing it and risking other issues, or other rattles!

Now finally it's a pretty quiet and peaceful ride ... at least whenever I turn down the rocking Sony system!

Old 12-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90069
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus titanium

FF Reputation: 1 jimmyt Good Standing Member
Wow, Ford Engineering could use a little of your ingenuity! Good job and thanks for sharing this. My eyeglass holder rattles when going over rough roads and our gas cap cover still pops open.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
Houten
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92118
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Houten Good Standing Member
Nice!

Picts please
Old 12-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Points 479, Level 9
Level Up 58% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houten View Post
Nice!

Picts please
here you go, first i used some packing foam ...

then I inserted it between the cloth part of the headliner and the first plastic shielding ... I used 3 pieces in the front since it has a bigger gap to fill ...

then for the rear part the gap is much smaller and I couldn't get the camera angle to show the foam but by gently pulling down the cloth headliner and wedging a smaller piece of foam between the headliner and plastic shielding I was able to quiet the worst of the rattles ....

the foam in the rear part cannot be seen at any angle, the front pieces are only visable if you stick your head up into the moonroof when it's open.

this fixed my rattling problems in the headliner! a few more slight ones in the door panels i'm still looking into tho but there not even as bad as the headliner ones.

hope this helps ... did the trick for me
Old 01-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #5
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsfocus View Post
here you go, first i used some packing foam ...

then I inserted it between the cloth part of the headliner and the first plastic shielding ... I used 3 pieces in the front since it has a bigger gap to fill ...

then for the rear part the gap is much smaller and I couldn't get the camera angle to show the foam but by gently pulling down the cloth headliner and wedging a smaller piece of foam between the headliner and plastic shielding I was able to quiet the worst of the rattles ....

the foam in the rear part cannot be seen at any angle, the front pieces are only visable if you stick your head up into the moonroof when it's open.

this fixed my rattling problems in the headliner! a few more slight ones in the door panels i'm still looking into tho but there not even as bad as the headliner ones.

hope this helps ... did the trick for me
i did the same thing and it worked like a charm...
Old 01-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Points 479, Level 9
Level Up 58% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
i did the same thing and it worked like a charm...
Good job Cobie .. my fix has still been good after a year of driving and no sagging headliner. Seems it will be a permanent fix for me ...much easier and less risky then replacing it imo. Someday would love to put a custom leather headliner in to match the leather seats. The stock one really sucks, one of the worst parts on the car since it is impossible to clean once it gets dirty .. and they all do in time.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:10 AM   #7
dasilvarsa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89551
What I Drive: 2012 2.0 Gdi Trend

FF Reputation: 2 dasilvarsa Good Standing Member
Agreed,
You got my Vote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:23 AM   #8
TitaniumGero
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88508
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Titanium Focus

FF Reputation: 3 TitaniumGero Good Standing Member
Great work! I had a rattle too, but I had my dealer fix it. They put double sided tape and some glue lol. It stopped it -i think- or im just being paranoid and I can still hear it.

Now if only I can figure out a way to stop the rattling on my front passenger door and center console D:

Btw, since winter hit, I've been hearing rattles pretty much from every part of my car. Is that normal?
Old 12-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90069
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus titanium

FF Reputation: 1 jimmyt Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeroSportSE View Post
Great work! I had a rattle too, but I had my dealer fix it. They put double sided tape and some glue lol. It stopped it -i think- or im just being paranoid and I can still hear it.

Now if only I can figure out a way to stop the rattling on my front passenger door and center console D:

Btw, since winter hit, I've been hearing rattles pretty much from every part of my car. Is that normal?
Should not be, not on a new car.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #10
empowah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91459
What I Drive: Mk3

Points 700, Level 13
Points: 700, Level: 13 Points: 700, Level: 13 Points: 700, Level: 13
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 empowah Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeroSportSE View Post

My November 11 build Focus with 250 miles has intermittent rattles coming from pretty much everywhere as well. Not too pleased, because it's a brand new car and I'm OCD about these things and expect perfection, but at least it drives really well.

Bookmarks & Social Networks