2012 oil change message - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
Fumey
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89510
What I Drive: 2012 se hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Fumey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 oil change message

Whats the longest some of you have gone before your change oil message has come on? The owners manual says it may be as long as 10k , depending on driving habits . I'm over that amount , mostly hiway miles , no notice yet , but I'm going to change oil anyway as this amount of time between oil changes makes me nervous . Dipstick says okay , just worried some oil viscosity sensor thingy may be malfunctioning....

Old 11-04-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
mikeeshaq
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72526
What I Drive: 2010 Transit Connect

FF Reputation: 15 mikeeshaq Great Standing Member
I bought a TC [see left panel] new. Oil change interval is 7500 miles [you got to be kidding!]
A Ford mechanic once said to me, if you want that engine to last, change oil at 3000 miles. I need the TC to last to 500,000 miles!
At one point in the literature Ford says the TC can last up to 150,000 miles [at 7500 mile oil change] What do you think the engine is good for if the oil change is at 3000 miles?

Now if one gets a car and will dump it at 100,000 miles, alright go with recommended oil change interval
Old 11-04-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
05focusST91
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83640
What I Drive: 2008 chevy cobalt SS/TC.

FF Reputation: 6 05focusST91 Good Standing Member
yeah but 10k is the cut off, if you saw what your oil looked like when its draining after 10k its not pretty, even in a new car on full syntec i wouldnt go over 5k, my st is almost at 80k now and i change it every 4000 since i do alot of stop and go
Still here!
Old 11-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 64 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Oil is changed a LOT more than needed, EXCEPT for those who NEVER bother to even check the level....

As long as there is oil in the engine, it probably WON'T break because of an oil issue...

On the other hand, I got into the habit of fall & spring changes, just so it doesn't get forgotten - and a little extra TLC keeps the vehicles running indefinitely....

Luck!
Old 11-04-2011, 10:37 PM   #5
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 64 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Oil is changed a LOT more than needed, EXCEPT for those who NEVER bother to even check the level....

As long as there is oil in the engine, it probably WON'T break because of an oil issue...

On the other hand, I got into the habit of fall & spring changes, just so it doesn't get forgotten - and a little extra TLC keeps the vehicles running indefinitely....

Luck!
Old 11-04-2011, 10:53 PM   #6
Chewie12
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88284
What I Drive: 06 Mustang GT Premium, black

FF Reputation: 4 Chewie12 Good Standing Member
Depends what kind of oil your running I just switched to synthetic in my 12 so well see when I get to the 10+ marker.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
We are coming to the conclusion the oil change monitor doesn't work on the 2012 Focus. There are multiple people over 10K miles with no warning, which is the max interval. I have 9400 miles with no warning. Problem is that the interval is so long and according to Ford it's varaible with miles, time elapsed, and use it's hard to diagnose why it's not working.

Last edited by csvt2060; 11-05-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:28 AM   #8
Fumey
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89510
What I Drive: 2012 se hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Fumey Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
we are coming to the conclusion the oil change monitor doesn't work on the 2012 focus. There are multiple people over 10k miles with no warning, which is the max interval. I have 9400 miles with no warning. Problem is that the interval is so long and according to ford it's varaible with miles, time elapsed, and use it's hard to diagnose why it's not working.
arrrgh.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #9
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumey View Post
Whats the longest some of you have gone before your change oil message has come on? The owners manual says it may be as long as 10k , depending on driving habits . I'm over that amount , mostly hiway miles , no notice yet , but I'm going to change oil anyway as this amount of time between oil changes makes me nervous . Dipstick says okay , just worried some oil viscosity sensor thingy may be malfunctioning....
Hi Fumey,

Definitely mention it to your dealer so they can make sure everything is functioning correctly. Also, Please PM me your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
We are coming to the conclusion the oil change monitor doesn't work on the 2012 Focus. There are multiple people over 10K miles with no warning, which is the max interval. I have 9400 miles with no warning.
Hey csvt2060,

I'm only seeing one poster with concerns, so if you notice anyone else, feel free to direct them my way and I'll assist. Since yours isn't quite there yet, there's nothing to worry about, but let me know if it doesn't light on your Focus. Thanks!

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 11-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #10
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hey csvt2060,

I'm only seeing one poster with concerns, so if you notice anyone else, feel free to direct them my way and I'll assist. Since yours isn't quite there yet, there's nothing to worry about, but let me know if it doesn't light on your Focus. Thanks!

~Natasha
Will do.

Bookmarks & Social Networks