Hot, burning kind of smell - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-09-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
dtecPwr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54622
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange SVT 3 door #2176

FF Reputation: 2 dtecPwr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hot, burning kind of smell

So I'm looking for some help/opinions on what this smell could be before I have to take it to the stealership...

So this is what happens after a drive I park in the garage and i can smell this what I can only describe as a hot burning melting smell. First off I don't think its the clutch because the smell is coming from the right front of the car (the opposite side of where the tranny is). Its possible it could be a dragging brake pad but I don't think it is, smells more rubber like and the car would pull if it had a dragging brake pad. I had a coolant hose that was touching the exhaust header but I resecured that and I still have the smell.
Is it possible the serpentine belt is slipping or a pully ceasing??? Or is it just a hot exhaust/catalytic converter im smelling?

I've been able to smell this for the past couple months but I turned the heater on last week and the smell was being blown into the car. It's not overly strong but its noticable.

Thanks for the help.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
dtecPwr
Focus Enthusiast

bump.
Anyone have any experience with this? its hard to tell but the smell may be gradually getting worse. What ever it is, its wearing out or burning up.

would an alternator make this smell?

help please
Old 10-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
Useful-idiot_mike
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89820
What I Drive: 03 infra red svt#1537

FF Reputation: 4 Useful-idiot_mike Good Standing Member
does it smell like brake/clutch, oil, antifreeze, plastic? they are all pretty distinguishable! for brakes sticking, after you park car go and touch each wheel see if ones alot hotter then others (be careful could be very hot!) i know mines got a bit of a antifreeze smell cause the plug on my thermo housing is leaking a tad! for plastic or maybe rubber check your belts and timing belt/cover! could be rubbing!
2003 infra red svt #1537/ 00 honda cbr929rr/ 05 c230 kompressor
Old 10-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
Chas
Licensed Shrink

Fan#: 49800
What I Drive: 2014 Mocha Bronze Chevy Sonic 1.4T

FF Reputation: 1 Chas Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
probably break issue, ive had that happen without any symptoms other than the smell
Old 10-14-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
dtecPwr
Focus Enthusiast

I will check the belts again, and look into it possibly being the brakes. The work history from the previous owner shows new rotors and pads were installed not to long before I bought it. The next work history states the vehicle was brought back for dragging brake and it says the greased the caliper slide to fix it.....hmm
Old 10-15-2011, 01:11 AM   #6
djo90
because race car

Fan#: 60957
What I Drive: 2007 ms3

FF Reputation: 6 djo90 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
when does it happen? all the time? all speeds? or highway?
Old 10-15-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
dtecPwr
Focus Enthusiast

I can smell it after the car is warmed up and driven a little bit. You can smell it when the car is sitting still wheter at a stop light or in the garage, that is the only time it is noticable.
I popped the hood today and it is definetly coming from the right side of the engine by the belts and coolant reservoir.

If I can make it into November I will be happy because I plan on replacing a lot of parts over the winter.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #8
vaboom123
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73667
What I Drive: 2003 Euro Highlighter

FF Reputation: 1 vaboom123 Good Standing Member
I'd probably pop the belt off and make sure all everything is free (tensioner, idler, and accessories). I'd hate to have something seize up completely when going down the road.

Also, it's nice to have a temp gun for looking at a possible hanging caliper. Just shoot each one and see what the temp differences are. Then you don't have to touch anything, and you get a quick reading. A cheap harbor freight one would do the job.

Also, has the timing belt been serviced? I'd also take a peek in there and make sure everything is kosher.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
vaboom123
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73667
What I Drive: 2003 Euro Highlighter

FF Reputation: 1 vaboom123 Good Standing Member
I'd probably pop the belt off and make sure all everything is free (tensioner, idler, and accessories). I'd hate to have something seize up completely when going down the road.

Also, it's nice to have a temp gun for looking at a possible hanging caliper. Just shoot each one and see what the temp differences are. Then you don't have to touch anything, and you get a quick reading. A cheap harbor freight one would do the job.

Also, has the timing belt been serviced? I'd also take a peek in there and make sure everything is kosher.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #10
dirtbrown
what it be like

Fan#: 40563
What I Drive: ganjabus

FF Reputation: 27 dirtbrown Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
pop the cover off your timing belt to make sure its not rubbing against that plastic piece or something....probally unlikely but just a guess...also make sure you dont have any coolant running down your tranny causing that burning smell

Bookmarks & Social Networks