2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
Mistofoleez
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86059
What I Drive: None

FF Reputation: 1 Mistofoleez Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle)

My 2012 Titanium has an annoying low speed strut rattle. When it was new it wasn't there. It took a few weeks to materialize. It's only heard at low speeds. While turning or braking it is super noticeable. The service department freely acknowledged the sound was there. I must give them credit for not denying it.
We took the car to the dealer ship, and found nothing "technically" wrong. They greased the front strut bushings and the sounds went away for about two weeks. Yes. It really wasn't there anymore. I was thrilled.
However, it returned at the same exact rate and loudness as when I first bought it.
Now that it's been a couple months the sound is back full and loud.
The sound IS strut related. I know enough about automotive mechanics not to to be fooled by other sounds and noises. Since the grease made the sound go away for a short time the issue is clearly a strut issue.

Does anyone else have this problem?
The solution so far is only very temporary. I'd like to know if others are getting this noise.
Will Ford or the strut manufacturer make right on this? That remains to be seen.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Faygo Focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85587
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Ti with James Bond Pkg

Points 3,523, Level 37
Points: 3,523, Level: 37 Points: 3,523, Level: 37 Points: 3,523, Level: 37
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 Faygo Focus Good Standing Member
No such sound on mine at 7500 miles.

Did you take it back to the dealer when the sound returned?
Old 09-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faygo Focus View Post
No such sound on mine at 7500 miles.

Did you take it back to the dealer when the sound returned?
Same here. Just broke 7500 today and don't have anything like that.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
SassySandra
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113853
What I Drive: 2012 SE - Sport Package - Silver

FF Reputation: 1 SassySandra Good Standing Member
So Disappointed - clunking, slipping, shaking, rattling

Well, here goes, mine has had that clunking noise too, at first it wasn't so noticable, and they did change some bearings and strut; but now, it's when I start it up and drive slow or over bumps, sounds like the car is falling apart. Every time, (many, many times) I take it in, they can't find it - of course not - but they are supposed to be replacing the clutch to see if that's it, I don't think so; well that was supposed to happen 3 weeks ago, I'm 3rd on the list to get the new clutch, and they have yet call me, ugh; the Sync will disconnect my phone automatically, and last week I had a full tank of gas, but all of a sudden the dash red light came on and dinged and my gas guage went to E and said I needed to fuel; about 10 secs then it went back to Full; I'm so disappointed in FORD and their product, I've had nothing but issues, the shaking, the slipping, the rattling, the Sync; my car is not even 2 years old, but acts like it's 20 years; I should have NEVER traded my HONDA, 6 years and no major problems. I'm actually going to contact a lawyer who deals with LEMON LAW, I truly believe I have a case. I will NEVER EVER buy FORD again!!!!! :-(
Old 09-04-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
G. Jay
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89558
What I Drive: 2012, Kona Blue Sedan SEL w/leather

FF Reputation: 1 G. Jay Good Standing Member
This is very interesting. I searched the net and found this forum because my car clunks or rattles a bit over bumps and it is driving me crazy but I haven't been able to find the cause. A strut or sway bar link would be vaguely consistent with the sound I'm hearing. I now also notice it sometimes when I start the engine. Like you mention it wasn't there new but has been getting steadily worse. It is bad enough now that I think a service technician would likely acknowledge it.

If the best they could do was grease, well that's just not good enough. The car is great in many ways but I can think of at least a dozen details that are sort of half-baked and maybe this is one of them.

I've got the car up on ramps now because I was going to go look again for something loose. Do you know which bushing they greased? I can't imagine anyone actually thinking that could be a permanent correction to this problem but it is an important data point.

Last edited by G. Jay; 09-04-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
flygry1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86605
What I Drive: 2012 se sedan sterling grey

Points 591, Level 11
Points: 591, Level: 11 Points: 591, Level: 11 Points: 591, Level: 11
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 flygry1 Good Standing Member
Have them check the motor mount. Mine was doing the same exact thing. It had everybody fooled until a rep from Detroit found a bad right front motor mount which solved the problem. The rattle on startup was a clue that it wasn't strut related
Old 09-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #7
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 3,772, Level 38
Points: 3,772, Level: 38 Points: 3,772, Level: 38 Points: 3,772, Level: 38
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by flygry1 View Post
Have them check the motor mount. Mine was doing the same exact thing. It had everybody fooled until a rep from Detroit found a bad right front motor mount which solved the problem. The rattle on startup was a clue that it wasn't strut related
Was the mount replaced or did something just need to be tightened or ???
Old 04-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83605
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Ingot Silver HB

FF Reputation: 1 sirhawkeye Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by flygry1 View Post
Mine did the same thing, but it ended up being a motor mount. The key was when I would turn the engine off in cold weather, there would sometimes be a clunk (or a few of them) as the engine slowed down. This was while the car was sitting still, obviously.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:42 PM   #9
davewhitten
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92108
What I Drive: 2012, dark gray, SE Hatchback

Points 5, Level 1
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 davewhitten Good Standing Member
I have 55,000 miles on my hatchback and the swaybar links were described by the dealer as "loose", so I said why are they Loose and they said they didn't know, but the need to be replaced, no. I t tightened. Interesting...
Old 09-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #10
ssn666hawkbill
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12657
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium Blue candy

FF Reputation: 0 ssn666hawkbill Newbie
only issues I have had so far is jerkiness of the suspension, but i only got 600 miles on mine, guess i will keep an ear out for mine.... is it a rattle or like a metal on metal clunking sound....

Bookmarks & Social Networks