2012 Moon roof leaking - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
JohnnyDenver
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86064
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Hatch SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 JohnnyDenver Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 Moon roof leaking

Is "moon roof" 1 or 2 words?

...Anyway -

I notice drips of water leaking in the corners of my moonroof, about one drip every 5 seconds in all 4 corners, only visible when i shine a flashlight into the crevice between the headliner and the edges of the moonroof - I understand most vehicles with these glass roofs have a drainage system, and i am confident the leaks are draining properly, but I still find this concerning. I stopped by a dealer and the service guy said facatory roofs leak frequently and not to worry as it is being drained properly and not entering the cabin.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Is it normal for a moon roof to allow drips in during a steady shower?

Again, I stress that water is not dripping into the passenger compartment at all, but IS leaking past the moon roof seal.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
Maureen
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86082
What I Drive: 2012 Ti Hatch Sterl Grey

FF Reputation: 1 Maureen Good Standing Member
My friend who works at Ford said I should make sure to keep the drains properly cleaned for the moonroof (I think it's 1 word). (And I'm not sure how, but he did mention it.)
Old 07-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #3
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
i've had moon/sun roofs in all my cars for years and NEVER had one leak in any rain or snow, no matter how torrential the rain was... your leak imo, is not normal and ford should fix it. the dealer that told u 'they all leak' is all wet himself
Old 07-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
FF4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33566
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 0 FF4 Newbie
moonroofs are not completely water tight so water can seep between the glass and roof but water goes into the channels and then out through the drains. the water wont get inside the car if the drains are kept clean.

theres a part on water management here

http://www.idealsunroof.com/Power_Moonroof.html

Water management theory.

When the glass is all the way forward and in it's "home position", the rubber gasket's primary function is to eliminate noise, and shed most of the rainwater.

Any water that seeps past the rubber gasket is captured into the drain channels, and funneled into one or more of the 4 drain hoses that are leading through through the bottom of the vehicle.

Last edited by FF4; 07-15-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
i've had moon/sun roofs in all my cars for years and NEVER had one leak in any rain or snow, no matter how torrential the rain was... your leak imo, is not normal and ford should fix it. the dealer that told u 'they all leak' is all wet himself

Right...This isn't correct.

All moonroofs leak. Not one in existence doesn't leak at all. Why don't you notice? Because car manufacturers create channels and drainage spouts so none of that water actually gets into the car.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
JohnnyDenver
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86064
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Hatch SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 JohnnyDenver Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
All moonroofs leak. Not one in existence doesn't leak at all. Why don't you notice? Because car manufacturers create channels and drainage spouts so none of that water actually gets into the car.
I'm going with this guy's opinion - not gonna worry unless water is dripping onto my head.

taking a car to the dealer for every little thing will get you more problems, and the techs have barely even seen these new 2012's for oil changes yet.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
FF4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33566
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 0 FF4 Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
Right...This isn't correct.

Yep, the gasket is for noise and most of the water, the channels are for what seeps thru. no water gets in the car

http://www.idealsunroof.com/Power_Moonroof.html

Water management theory.

When the glass is all the way forward and in it's "home position", the rubber gasket's primary function is to eliminate noise, and shed most of the rainwater.

Any water that seeps past the rubber gasket is captured into the drain channels, and funneled into one or more of the 4 drain hoses that are leading through through the bottom of the vehicle.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #8
me2000
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85106
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 me2000 Good Standing Member
Should not leak!!
Old 07-12-2011, 08:08 AM   #9
eric8784
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86785
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 1 eric8784 Good Standing Member
I took my car in over the weekend because the headliner was rattling. Ford said they would need to order a new one and that I would have to come back when it came in. I picked up my car last night and almost the whole moonroof cover was stained like it was sitting in some sort of water or liquid (we did have a heavy rain over the weekend while they had it). I promptly brought it back to the dealer and they werent sure what caused it but would replace it along with the headliner. I told them that they need to find out what caused it. We will see what happens.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
eric8784
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86785
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 1 eric8784 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric8784 View Post
I took my car in over the weekend because the headliner was rattling. Ford said they would need to order a new one and that I would have to come back when it came in. I picked up my car last night and almost the whole moonroof cover was stained like it was sitting in some sort of water or liquid (we did have a heavy rain over the weekend while they had it). I promptly brought it back to the dealer and they werent sure what caused it but would replace it along with the headliner. I told them that they need to find out what caused it. We will see what happens.
I dropped my car off at the dealer this morning to have the headliner replaced and the mysterious stain on the moonroof shade inspected. I just got a call that the headliner is in but the cause of the stain is still being investigated. Service guy said they think there is a water leak. We'll see what they say tomorrow, thankfully they provide rentals.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.