What is a good driver? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-31-2003, 10:18 AM   #1
gthang
NY's Most Wanted

Fan#: 102
What I Drive: DUH!

FF Reputation: 5 gthang Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Lightbulb What is a good driver?

The rules are you post what you believe are qualities of a good driver. and what someone can do to be a good driver. I'll start.

To me, a good driver can have a few close calls. A good driver looks through the windshield of the car ahead of him to spot other cars braking for obstacles. a good driver can handle the high speeds of his chosen vehicle. a good driver can drive fast for 8 months while avoiding cops without the use of radar/laser detectors or jammers. a good driver should also be courteous to others at some point in the day.

Now it's your turn.

Old 10-31-2003, 10:39 AM   #2
Laidman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1425
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus Euro Edition

FF Reputation: 1 Laidman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
A good driver is someone who can drive in any weather condition without being nervous or afraid to keep going. A good driver can spin thier car without loosing control. A good drive can see things comming before it happens.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:47 AM   #3
Fabster82
Focus Addict

Fan#: 437
What I Drive: 2003 Focus zts

FF Reputation: 1 Fabster82 Good Standing Member
a good driver is someone like laidman said can drive in any weather condition without being nervous or afraid. a good driver should be someone that when driving is always aware of whats going on around them. a good driver does not get distracted easily while driving

Mods: clear corners, interior under seat neons, MAC short ram, a bosal exhaust or fs exhaust to come
Old 10-31-2003, 10:48 AM   #4
Infra3sv
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 745
What I Drive: '03 hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Infra3sv Good Standing Member
A good driver can double the speed limit anywhere, uses his/her blinker all the time, and can maneuver through bad situations. I think it is hard to know if someone is a good driver unless you've been in a near death situation.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:25 AM   #5
viney266
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Memberviney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
A good driver is rarely surprised by any situation, because he or she has practiced in advance, things like above sliding in snow etc. Also, a good driver may be fast , but BUT he keeps safe following distances so as to have room for others errors.. people follow WAY to close these days, I am very close to other racers on the roadrace course, but we all know what we are doing ( most of the time ..lol), I do not get that close on the road, because you don't know how good, OR BAD, the person next to you is..Higher speeds are safe as long as there is time to react to a situation!...Most importantly..A good driver has faith in his own ability to handle a given situation..
Old 10-31-2003, 11:28 AM   #6
soffiler

Fan#: 372
What I Drive: '03 ZX3 PZEV 5-spd Twilight Blue; '97 F-250 4x4 w/ 351 V8 & AT

FF Reputation: 1 soffiler Good Standing Member
Hey, how about a slightly different approach. A good driver is one who is NOT a bad driver. So what is a bad driver?

A bad driver is putting too much of his attention on something other than the road. Fiddling with the stereo, daydreaming, rehashing an argument, talking on a cell phone, looking at the scenery....

A bad driver can't handle the car in emergency avoidance maneuvers.

A bad driver goes faster than he/she can safely handle given their skills.

A bad driver pulls maneuvers that they might get away with, but which might put other drivers (or pedestrians, cyclists, etc) into a bad situation. Example: running a red light, forcing others into emergency-avoidance mode. Generally inconsiderate of others on the road.

A bad driver is not smooth. Jerky acceleration, braking, steering inputs.

A bad driver gets behind the wheel under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

A bad driver lacks a sense for the capabilities of the car. Doesn't really understand where the limits of traction are, for both cornering and braking, and considering the road surface (dry, wet, snow, ice, dirt, pavement, etc).
Old 10-31-2003, 11:37 AM   #7
Katulec
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1497
What I Drive: 2003 French Blue ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 Katulec Good Standing Member
(since i have no racing experience, i'll only say qualities for street driving) i'd say a good driver (in addition to some of the comments already posted) is one who is courteous to others ie. let them merge even though it may slow you down and one who doesn't retaliate when some other driver is agressive towards you ie. cuts you off, rides your bumper, etc.
Suspension :: Strut Tower Brace
Projects on hold for a while until I decide where to go next.

Working at a Ford Dealership.

AIM: Katulec
Old 10-31-2003, 11:39 AM   #8
TORQUERULES
The Professor

Fan#: 1083
What I Drive: '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '87 'Stang

FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
A good driver knows that a performance car, because of its superior brakes, handling, and power, can help him/her get out of an accident. A good driver knows to try to power, steer, whatever, out of a potential accident instead of blindly slamming on the brakes and holding on for dear life.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:39 AM   #9
TORQUERULES
The Professor

Fan#: 1083
What I Drive: '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '87 'Stang

FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
A good driver is not a RICER, and does not believe everything he sees on film/tv!
Old 10-31-2003, 11:42 AM   #10
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
I like soffiler's approach. As my boss always says, just because you've gotten away with speeding without getting a ticket, or close calls without an accident, does not make you a good driver. Maybe you've avoided speeding tickets for 20 years - it doesn't mean you're a good driver, it means you're good at breaking the law and not getting caught. A good driver is CAPABLE of doing some of the things listed in the other posts, but knows that for the safety and well-being of others around him not to engage in those activities. The problem is there are far too many people on the road who think they are good drivers when in fact they are not.

Last edited by SVT4ME; 10-31-2003 at 11:45 AM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks