Fatboy Does Couch to 5K - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Off-Topic Discussions > Fitness Fanatics

Fitness Fanatics The place to discuss information on the latest workout programs, diets, nutrition and weight lifting.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
Joshuasvt
Focus Addict

Fan#: 27135
What I Drive: '03 Black/Red Flake SVT #1218

FF Reputation: 3 Joshuasvt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Fatboy Does Couch to 5K

I am psyched about this new forum!!!

Long story short I was in the ARMY for 10 years 1 month and 17 days before being medically retired. I got blown up one too many times in Iraq. Anyways during my time in I slowly started to enjoy running. So when I got out I stopped and now a year and a half later I have went from 180 to 220. My daughter says my "boobies are getting big like moms!"

So today I started "Couch to 5K". It's in the apple app store. Over a 9 week span the app slowly trains you to run 5k. Today was my first go at it and I learned two things:
1- I have gone way too long without running
2- On Wednesday I am bringing a pack of Twinkies and a Mt. Dew to the gym

Since I don't have anywhere else to "brag" about my accomplishments I hope y'all don't mind me updating here. Also if you guys have gave this a go let me know how it turned out for ya.

Cheers!
DAY 2
Didn't get to go Wednesday, but made up for it today. I am supposed to run on Mon Wed and Fri for 9 weeks. Anyways today seemed to fly by and running and breathing was a lot easier!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
BlueSEsvt
Focus Addict

Fan#: 48460
What I Drive: 2001 Blue Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 BlueSEsvt Good Standing Member
I havent tried this before and im more of a bodybuilding type guy but I have always wanted to try at least a 5k. Maybe i will check this out and I will keep up on your log. good luck
Sedan Revolution #165
Old 02-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
Duffman355
Tasty Red Meat

Fan#: 31282
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SE Sport 5 Spd

FF Reputation: 43 Duffman355 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
haha, 2 things I hate, running and the iphone. Good luck though.
ST Crew #11 / SSR #5
Official Mayo Hater #1
Randomie's Lover #8
Old 02-07-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
Joshuasvt
Focus Addict

@ blueboi-Thanks. The app is fairly easy on you. I have looked through the first 2 weeks and they make it really easy to start out.

@ duffman-I don't like the iPhone either. I rock the Android OS. The VA gave me a 4th gen iPod Touch because my brain don't work and I forget things thanks to our friendly neighborhood dirka dirka speaking friends who tried to blow me up. I used to HATE to run but by my 3rd year in the ARMY it kind of grew on me. GREAT STRESS RELIEVER. I now rate it right below sex and Effexor!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
eazyrider_tim
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7011
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SES Gloss Black

FF Reputation: 2 eazyrider_tim Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Glad you made it back and I will keep checking on this.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
ElectricAL
Focus Addict

Fan#: 71376
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ST

FF Reputation: 2 ElectricAL Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Do it, man!

I used to LOVE runnin' but I kind of hung it up... right now (in winter) I go X-C skiing. In the summer, I mostly bike and blade.

Do yourself a favor though, ditch the Twinkies and Mt. Dew. In the end, junk food is just counter-productive to ANY fitness goals. Feed yourself the right foods and you'll bounce back from workouts (and see better results) a whole lot faster.

Good luck!
Old 02-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #7
edingeek
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1152
What I Drive: 03 SVTf & 00 Xploder AWD 5.0

FF Reputation: 4 edingeek Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Good luck. I hate running :D I only ran my first few years in the military, and then I was a proud 3 mile club member... I ran a total of 3 miles per year, lol.

Good you made it back though! I was on a carrier (JFK) in 2004 for the onslaught and relatively safe, and then in the desert in 08-09 as a contractor and most of the action was over by then.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #8
Joshuasvt
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazyrider_tim View Post
Glad you made it back and I will keep checking on this.
Thanks man. BTW I grew up in Lancaster...Just south of Dallas. Actually I will be driving down there to visit the family next month!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricAL View Post
Do it, man!

I used to LOVE runnin' but I kind of hung it up... right now (in winter) I go X-C skiing. In the summer, I mostly bike and blade.

Do yourself a favor though, ditch the Twinkies and Mt. Dew. In the end, junk food is just counter-productive to ANY fitness goals. Feed yourself the right foods and you'll bounce back from workouts (and see better results) a whole lot faster.

Good luck!
I know how you feel. I loved it. The docs told me I wouldn't be able to run again but screw that I got tired of watching my gut grow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edingeek View Post
Good luck. I hate running :D I only ran my first few years in the military, and then I was a proud 3 mile club member... I ran a total of 3 miles per year, lol.

Good you made it back though! I was on a carrier (JFK) in 2004 for the onslaught and relatively safe, and then in the desert in 08-09 as a contractor and most of the action was over by then.
3-Mile club...love it!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #9
norcalfocus01
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Membernorcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
I ran cross country in High School and loved it. But now 11 years later, I can't stand running. I prefer a bike.

Bookmarks & Social Networks