TC or SC for Autocross? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
shb5007
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Fan#: 58683
Location: USA
What I Drive: 04 SVT Focus

Posts: 209
FF Reputation: 1 shb5007 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
TC or SC for Autocross?

Just what the title says. Which will perform better overall in the average autocross event, a turbocharger or a supercharger? Looking to add some boost to my focus over the next 2 or 3 months.


shb5007 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #2
wrc_fan
slow
 
wrc_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Fan#: 11913
Location: Greenville, SC
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Duratec 08 WRX Hatch

Posts: 1,715
FF Reputation: 23 wrc_fan Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
There are way too many variables to say which would be better, power is a small part of the autox equation.

In my opinion, a turbo will have greater flexability to put down more power, and be tuned for more area under the power curve in your operating RPM range. Issues like turbo lag can be accounted for with techniques like left foot braking.

But, if you were to run at SCCA events, you'll be put in a class where unlimited wheel and tire options, minimum weights, and high dollar suspension setups will trump an extra 150hp everytime.
If you're not concerned about being competitive, just want to make your SVT fast, and let it loose on the autox course once in a while, I still think turbo is the way to go.
__________________
Parking Lot Hero
2008 WRX daily driver
2003 ZX3 23D Autox Car 42 FSP

"Hella Functional - Raced, Not Hard Parked"
wrc_fan is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
Auto-X-ZTS
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Fan#: 54278
Location: East Troy, WI, USA, Earth, WI
What I Drive: 2000 ZX2 S/R

Posts: 265
FF Reputation: 7 Auto-X-ZTS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrc_fan View Post
There are way too many variables to say which would be better, power is a small part of the autox equation.

In my opinion, a turbo will have greater flexability to put down more power, and be tuned for more area under the power curve in your operating RPM range. Issues like turbo lag can be accounted for with techniques like left foot braking.

But, if you were to run at SCCA events, you'll be put in a class where unlimited wheel and tire options, minimum weights, and high dollar suspension setups will trump an extra 150hp everytime.
If you're not concerned about being competitive, just want to make your SVT fast, and let it loose on the autox course once in a while, I still think turbo is the way to go.

Bumped for truth.

Autocross is about getting the power down. ST Civics make 115-120 WHP on a good day...and they are devestatingly fast. The often beat the STX and STU cars that have 300+ HP.

I dont know what you already have or what class you're in...but get down what you already have for power befor you make more...get a LSD and some great tires on some light wheels with some good dampers. *That* will shave more time off than an extra 150 HP.
__________________
Erik B.
(_/\_-Head)
www.waiautox.org
___/\_____/\_____/\_____/\___
Auto-X-ZTS is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
hypnoticracing
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Fan#: 51709
Location: Lewiston, ME
What I Drive: 2003 Focus Sedan Zetec 5 Spd

Posts: 1,858
FF Reputation: 13 hypnoticracing Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
im building a nice small quick spooling turbo setup for mine
__________________
03 SE Liquid Grey zetec 5 spd
07 F150 FX2 Sport, White

Parting out the slammed sedan...
hypnoticracing is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
wrc_fan
slow
 
wrc_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Fan#: 11913
Location: Greenville, SC
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Duratec 08 WRX Hatch

Posts: 1,715
FF Reputation: 23 wrc_fan Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Really, I'm not trying to discourage anyone from autox, and I don't know you're entire build plan. If you've done the research, and are ready to build a dominating SVT, more power to you.

On the other hand, if you were thinking, "man, my SVT handles well, I bet if I made 250whp I would dominate at autox", you're in for a shock when you're classed with a twin charged EG civic with 600lb springs and three way motons, and then get beat by 5 seconds.

...of course, a turbo'd SVT would be a blast to drive, especially at autox or on the track, just not the fastest thing out there.

So... I'll let the OP come back and fill us in on his goals and budget.
__________________
Parking Lot Hero
2008 WRX daily driver
2003 ZX3 23D Autox Car 42 FSP

"Hella Functional - Raced, Not Hard Parked"
wrc_fan is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:44 PM   #6
WUGcatsvt
Obama Can't Gymkhana
 
WUGcatsvt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Fan#: 36697
Location: Pensacola, FL, FL
What I Drive: 02 SVT, 86 BMW E30, 10 VW GTI

Posts: 8,568
FF Reputation: 62 WUGcatsvt Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
I havent read responses yet so this might have already been said. If you planning on Autoxing I would choose, neither. It bumps you to a much more competitive class that you wont be able to compete in and Autox is more about suspension.

If you must FI go with a supercharger. Once the turbo starts to spool you will have to start breaking rendering that power useless. Ive seen this happen to most of the turboed cars out there. The Supercharged ones dont have that boost of power all at once. They have it where they need it.
So I guess I disagree with all that say turbo. I havent seen any proof that turbos are anybetter
__________________
"No, the Focus is SLOW and just kinda stays that way."-Joe GCR SCCA VP
gumpcrew#10
Gulf Coast Region #12 - Me-45 DSP
My Girl-451 DSPL
WUGcatsvt is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #7
pkolator
Focus Enthusiast
 
pkolator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Fan#: 73320
Location: Cary, IL
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-Red ZX3

Posts: 122
FF Reputation: 2 pkolator Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUGcatsvt View Post
Once the turbo starts to spool you will have to start breaking rendering that power useless. Ive seen this happen to most of the turboed cars out there.
I've recently turbo'd my ZX3, that was being built for FSP, with the intent of continuing to autox it and be competitive. It has been my experience so far that you can make a turbo kit that will make the power very useful and do so very effectively.
__________________
Tri-State Sports Car Council/Chicago Region SCCA/Milwaukee Region SCCA
Do better every run.
2002 ZX3 (daily)
1990 CRX Si STS (autox)

Last edited by pkolator; 06-29-2010 at 08:40 AM. Reason: made it easier for people to read/understand
pkolator is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:12 AM   #8
blackoutSVT
Lurking
 
blackoutSVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Fan#: 52102
Location: Rowlett, TX
What I Drive: 86 sportster1100, 12 Focus SE Sedan

Posts: 1,999
FF Reputation: 9 blackoutSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUGcatsvt View Post
I havent read responses yet so this might have already been said. If you planning on Autoxing I would choose, neither. It bumps you to a much more competitive class that you wont be able to compete in and Autox is more about suspension.

If you must FI go with a supercharger. Once the turbo starts to spool you will have to start breaking rendering that power useless. Ive seen this happen to most of the turboed cars out there. The Supercharged ones dont have that boost of power all at once. They have it where they need it.
So I guess I disagree with all that say turbo. I havent seen any proof that turbos are anybetter
im with you on this i think that the gradual power of a SC would be much better than a turbo. now for racing like time attack like the car im building a turbo can be your friend since you have big runs till you get to a turn.. and then you can be building boost in to the turn and then when it hits you'll be where you want it..

but like every one else said build your supention up first then go to FI cause it is not going to do you any good to have all that power and not be able to turn..lol
blackoutSVT is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:37 AM   #9
WUGcatsvt
Obama Can't Gymkhana
 
WUGcatsvt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Fan#: 36697
Location: Pensacola, FL, FL
What I Drive: 02 SVT, 86 BMW E30, 10 VW GTI

Posts: 8,568
FF Reputation: 62 WUGcatsvt Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
You cant run a turbo on a non turbo car in Street Prepared. With the SCCA anyway. You would be running Street mod. Page 93 of the SCCAs rules and Regs
__________________
"No, the Focus is SLOW and just kinda stays that way."-Joe GCR SCCA VP
gumpcrew#10
Gulf Coast Region #12 - Me-45 DSP
My Girl-451 DSPL
WUGcatsvt is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:33 AM   #10
pkolator
Focus Enthusiast
 
pkolator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Fan#: 73320
Location: Cary, IL
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-Red ZX3

Posts: 122
FF Reputation: 2 pkolator Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUGcatsvt View Post
You cant run a turbo on a non turbo car in Street Prepared. With the SCCA anyway. You would be running Street mod. Page 93 of the SCCAs rules and Regs
You are absolutely correct. Thats why I run the car in SMF. I'll take all the help I can get (index is 0.007 softer than SM)
__________________
Tri-State Sports Car Council/Chicago Region SCCA/Milwaukee Region SCCA
Do better every run.
2002 ZX3 (daily)
1990 CRX Si STS (autox)
pkolator is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.