almost hydrolocked my car today - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-07-2004, 08:32 PM   #1
bryanjw82
Focus Addict

Fan#: 222
What I Drive: 2004 Chevy Avalanche

FF Reputation: 1 bryanjw82 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
almost hydrolocked my car today

i have an AEM CAI, and it started pouring on the way to the gym today and i ended up plowing through some huge puddles of still water on the road, from where it had accumulated. I thought i would definetly lose it today on the road, i couldn't get off the road because of traffic and the curb along side of the road, so i was pretty much stuck with going through it all. Ended up being ok and no damage. At least it drives normal right now, but when i hit these standing puddles of water the water was so high it really slowed down my car when i hit them, id say they were at least 8in - 12inch deep. Makes me think twice about my CAI, but i really love the performance from it. What do you Suggest? Short rams making the same gains? And do they still have that hissing sound when acclerating like the AEM CAI, because i like that sound.

Old 08-07-2004, 11:13 PM   #2
dsk02c

Fan#: 6704
What I Drive: .. what?

FF Reputation: 1 dsk02c Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
if everything is okay, then you most likely didn't almost hydrolock. if things are fine, stay with it. short rams aren't worth it for the svt. even with the aem short ram, you see from the dyno vurtually no added power.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:31 PM   #3
hogy72
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4391
What I Drive: 02 infrared SVT

FF Reputation: 1 hogy72 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
i have to disagree. i had both an AEM full ram and a steeda short ram, and the gains seem very similar, although the AEM is much much louder
Old 08-07-2004, 11:39 PM   #4
BlkZX3

Fan#: 473
What I Drive: El Huevo Negro

FF Reputation: 1 BlkZX3 Good Standing Member
Didnt you post awhile ago saying your SVT blew up.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:47 PM   #5
dsk02c

Fan#: 6704
What I Drive: .. what?

FF Reputation: 1 dsk02c Good Standing Member
hrm.

Quote:
Originally posted by hogy72
i have to disagree. i had both an AEM full ram and a steeda short ram, and the gains seem very similar, although the AEM is much much louder
probably because most people can't tell the difference between 3 horses. the cai is obviously much more power. cold=power.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:01 AM   #6
CAIS95
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5085
What I Drive: 04 SONIC BLUE SVT 3DOOR

FF Reputation: 1 CAIS95 Good Standing Member
get a bypass valve first off..i live in new orleans so i see a lot of rain as well...i know someone on here posted a plexi shield to block off trash..water..etc.but livin in a wet city is always a gamble..i know cooler is better but im going with a short ram just for piece of mind..i mean is 2 hp worth the worry of hitting a puddle?id rather play safe and not worry about the minimal hp loss rather than take chance of blowing a motor..if i lived in wisconsin id be going cai 4 sure but figure in the factors.......everyone on here has an opinion but remember where u live

hp:310 tq:276 sae adjusted to 156/143 **damn turbonator broke**

SVT SQUAD #240
Old 08-08-2004, 02:48 AM   #7
daSVT
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 9046
What I Drive: sonic blue focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 daSVT Good Standing Member
i have the K&N aircharger and the gains are great. I think is just as good if not better than the cai. No worries of water, same great power and yes mine does make the hisssing sound.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:38 AM   #8
essveetee
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1529
What I Drive: 2006 WRX 1984 VW Scirocco

FF Reputation: 1 essveetee Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
Quote:
Originally posted by CAIS95
get a bypass valve first off..i live in new orleans so i see a lot of rain as well...i know someone on here posted a plexi shield to block off trash..water..etc.but livin in a wet city is always a gamble..i know cooler is better but im going with a short ram just for piece of mind..i mean is 2 hp worth the worry of hitting a puddle?id rather play safe and not worry about the minimal hp loss rather than take chance of blowing a motor..if i lived in wisconsin id be going cai 4 sure but figure in the factors.......everyone on here has an opinion but remember where u live
Unless you frequently drive your car through standing water deep enough to just about cover your foglight, you will probably never hydrolock your engine. Here in Houston, water gets damn deep when it rains. I've had no problems. I do recommend a shield however. You can make one very easily or buy one.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:11 PM   #9
hogy72
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4391
What I Drive: 02 infrared SVT

FF Reputation: 1 hogy72 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
BlkZX3, are you referring to me when you said blew my SVT up? I dont remember blowing up my SVT since im still driving it? Maybe you werent refering to me, Ive never had a problem with my SVT whatsoever
Old 08-08-2004, 04:26 PM   #10
BlkZX3

Fan#: 473
What I Drive: El Huevo Negro

FF Reputation: 1 BlkZX3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by hogy72
BlkZX3, are you referring to me when you said blew my SVT up? I dont remember blowing up my SVT since im still driving it? Maybe you werent refering to me, Ive never had a problem with my SVT whatsoever
No, the guy who started this thread said he blew up his SVt and ford wouldn't cover it because they declared the cause was "abuse".

Bookmarks & Social Networks