pedal travel issue after rear disc conversion? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current)

Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current) The place to chat about the 2.0L EcoBoost engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-01-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
tb1999
Focus Addict

Fan#: 44261
What I Drive: '05 ZX3 D2.3 & '03 Jag S-TYPE 4.2L

FF Reputation: 47 tb1999 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Question pedal travel issue after rear disc conversion?

First off, before anyone comments about bleeding the system, it's been done correctly using a pressure bleeder, the pedal is not spongy etc, the brakes are working 100% correctly, however......

Has anyone else encountered this issue, and if so, is there a simple solution?

I updated my factory ABS equipped 05 ZX3 rear drums using the ford racing rear SVT conversion kit.

Afterwards, the brake pedal was nice and firm, but pedal travel was a little further than stock.

I assume this is simply the differnece in piston displacement between the wheel cylinders for the drum brakes, compared to the calipers for the rear discs.

This additional pedal travel makes it difficult to heel-toe, even after making a minor linkage adjustment to lower the throttle pedal.

I would like to correct the brake pedal travel and restore it back to where it was with the drums installed.

Will a non-abs master cylinder displace more fluid than the one in my car that came with the ABS system?

As far as I know these are the only two options for a stock master cyl, and I'm not ready to invest in a wildwood or other custom brake setup.

Inventor of "The $0 Thunder Throttle" & "Focuzdax-7" brake swap.
I like the same qualities in women and pistons; Lightweight, fast, and with the smallest skirts possible...
Old 09-01-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
SVTflyer03
RB25 = Amazing

Fan#: 62344
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red SVT ZX5, 1991 240sx

FF Reputation: 5 SVTflyer03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I got nothing. Maybe the master cylinder but i really dont know. Sorry. just my .02

SVTf 5-door #892 out of about 2200

Hi
Old 09-02-2009, 07:53 AM   #3
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Sorry I have to say it but did you double check your fluid level? I didnt and that was my problem and I had an annoying warning light.
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 09-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
tb1999
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringler26 View Post
Sorry I have to say it but did you double check your fluid level? I didnt and that was my problem and I had an annoying warning light.
That's definetely not it.

The pedal travel problem has been there consistenstly since the disc conversion over a year ago. It's been bled and refilled several times since then, to keep the fluid fresh for track events etc, and it never changes.

It's not a problem for driving other than the pedal height compared to the throttle, creating the problem for executing heel-toe downshift while braking.

I like the same qualities in women and pistons; Lightweight, fast, and with the smallest skirts possible...
Old 09-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
UnFocusedST
Fear the TurboSnail!

Fan#: 40342
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Focus ST

FF Reputation: 13 UnFocusedST Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
I did the full SVT conversion on my 05. Long as you bleed the system properly you shouldn't have extra travel. You might have a master cylinder going out like mentioned above.
Team Duratec #17
Hatch Nation #17
Midwest Crew #55
Boosted Crew #118
Old 09-03-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
tb1999
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mave View Post
I did the full SVT conversion on my 05. Long as you bleed the system properly you shouldn't have extra travel. You might have a master cylinder going out like mentioned above.
So you can heel-toe your car after the swap, and the brake pedal is not too low to tag the throttle easily while braking hard?

Old 09-03-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
roosterst
фанатик

Fan#: 61461
What I Drive: '05 CD silver ZX3 ST

FF Reputation: 77 roosterst Excellent Standing Member
Just thinking, but not sure.

Could it be a metering valve issue? Maybe you don't even need it anymore, since you replaced the drum brakes. But, I don't even know if our cars have them.

Do we use a scan tool while bleeding the ABS on our cars? I know some cars do.

If you call the Ford Motorsport tech line, they are usually pretty decent guys. Maybe they can help.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:56 PM   #8
tb1999
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterst View Post
Just thinking, but not sure.

Could it be a metering valve issue? Maybe you don't even need it anymore, since you replaced the drum brakes. But, I don't even know if our cars have them.

Do we use a scan tool while bleeding the ABS on our cars? I know some cars do.

If you call the Ford Motorsport tech line, they are usually pretty decent guys. Maybe they can help.

my car was factory ABS, which does not use a mechanical metering/propotioning valve, it's all done with ABS black magic.

There is a ford scan tool function for bleeding ABS, but I have removed the ABS system recently. (I have installed a wildwood adjustable proportioning valve in the cockpit) But the pedal travel issues were basically the same before and after this mod.

I called Ford Motorsport, and they were somewhat clueless about this issue. I guess it depends on who picks up the phone.

Anyway, these are all good tips, but I think I've covered most of this territory before making the post.

I'm hoping someone from LCR sees this thread and offers a suggestion, they have to have seen this at least once before.......

I guess what I'm really after is if anyone knows which master cylinder displaces more fluid, the ABS version, or the non-ABS version?

Old 09-03-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
roosterst
фанатик

Fan#: 61461
What I Drive: '05 CD silver ZX3 ST

FF Reputation: 77 roosterst Excellent Standing Member
Sorry I couldn't be more help. I'd like to know about this as well, since this is what I'm looking to do. I have a non-ABS car, so if you can think of any tests; I'll gladly do them.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:26 PM   #10
runfocusrun
Focus Addict

Fan#: 43029
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-red ZX5

FF Reputation: 8 runfocusrun Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Isn't there a simple way to just adjust the pedal ?? I'm just guessing here. Also IMO if you have OEM ABS why change for a non ABS, just my .02c's

Bookmarks & Social Networks