Window Regulator Replacement Guide - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-04-2008, 10:37 PM   #1
danovotny
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 58998
What I Drive: N/A

FF Reputation: 7 danovotny Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Arrow Window Regulator Replacement Guide

Hello! First off, I want to thank everyone for giving me the confidence to perform this task. I had initially thought the window regulator would be too hard to replace. After reading several posts, most stated that it was very easy to do. I decided to follow the various descriptions and instruction to successfully install the new regulator. Several posts had requested pictures and a guide for the job. I decided to document the process and make a PDF for it. Hopefully others will find this guide useful and give them the confidence to save some money and gain a greater appreciation for the inner workings of their car. Any feedback and comments are welcome. Thanks again!

PDF Download

Old 09-05-2008, 12:40 AM   #2
networkalias
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 58828
What I Drive: 2000 Emerald Green ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 networkalias Good Standing Member
Thanks danovotny! I'lll give it another try. I've been driving around with a custom cut piece of wood stuck in the door to keep the window up.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:45 AM   #3
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
hey danovotny.......I guess you had trouble with your windows then since you're a sedan.... tell me, did they even work and all that? like, did the motor work? I've got that problem where both rear windows don't open and all that; tried to replace the motor, but there's not enough power going to it, if any. I'll look at the how-to of course
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 09-05-2008, 01:02 AM   #4
grahama
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20127
What I Drive: 2003 Black ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 grahama Good Standing Member
nice write up! will be doing this to my wagon in the near future. Any tips for doing the front regulators?
Old 09-05-2008, 01:38 AM   #5
mikebontoft
Toxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahama View Post
nice write up! will be doing this to my wagon in the near future. Any tips for doing the front regulators?
front regulators should be the same, except I think there's one less torx screw in the panel, and of course it's all backwards......the rest should be the same :)
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 09-05-2008, 07:21 AM   #6
danovotny
Focus Rookie

Quote:
did they even work and all that? like, did the motor work?
In my case, the motor was still functional, but the cable had come disconnected from the clip. When I would press the button to roll the window up and down, I would hear the motor turn over, but since the cable was broken, the white clip and the window would not move at all.

Quote:
Any tips for doing the front regulators?
I can't speak from experience, as I have only done the back ones. I would make the same assumption that mikebontoft did, that they shouldbe the same.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:22 PM   #7
mikebontoft
Toxx

ah yeah see.....when I try, I get nothing... thankfully to a school funded alldata pro subscription, I can figure out what it is :)
Old 09-07-2008, 12:23 AM   #8
danovotny
Focus Rookie

So, I had my replacement job fail me today. When I tried to roll down the window, the track went down, but the window didn't follow. I had made certain that the window was tightly fitted into the white clip. Did I miss something like a clip or bolt that attached the window to the clip? There was no pin joining the regulator clip and window as I have heard described in other posts?
Old 09-07-2008, 02:31 PM   #9
mikebontoft
Toxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by danovotny View Post
So, I had my replacement job fail me today. When I tried to roll down the window, the track went down, but the window didn't follow. I had made certain that the window was tightly fitted into the white clip. Did I miss something like a clip or bolt that attached the window to the clip? There was no pin joining the regulator clip and window as I have heard described in other posts?
yeah Haynes manual says there's a pin of some sort, so you might want to investigate that and probably get a replacement
Old 09-07-2008, 02:49 PM   #10
Kauai Guy
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Fan#: 58297
What I Drive: Car

FF Reputation: 17 Kauai Guy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebontoft View Post
yeah Haynes manual says there's a pin of some sort, so you might want to investigate that and probably get a replacement
The pin is actually this white cylinder with a little cut in it, with a smaller cylinder inside of it.

It probably fell in the door somewhere. The hard part is getting that white clip in. What i did was put the larger one in first to hold the window, and put the smaller one in.

Bookmarks & Social Networks