Cheap/easy security system upgrade.... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-28-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Member bluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Cheap/easy security system upgrade....

First off...I'm assuming anyone doing this upgrade is familiar with basic car wiring procedures. So do it at your own risk.

This mod will add a blinking LED to the area of the audio unit....or anywhere that's visible. You want someone standing outside the car, to instantly see this blinking light. You can see it during the day-time and of course at night. It works independently from your own security system (or even if you don't have one). This light stops blinking (turns off) when the ignition is on.....and blinks the rest of the time. Here's how to do it.....

Acquire the blinking LED....I got mine at Walmart. I think Radio Shack has similar lights.

Remove the radio bezel. On my '06 it just pops loose using a thin blade of some sort...there are six pins around the edges. I used the power wire to the lighter socket.....spliced into it using a "scotch-loc". This wire has 12V all the time. It goes to the red (power wire) of the LED.

Now the other LED wire is the trick....if you just go to a ground, the LED will blink all the time. At night that is annoying when driving. So.....I used a wire circuit that is a ground all the time, except when the ignition is on. Happens to be the fuse #41 circuit (there are others). So I spliced the second wire from the LED to this circuit, using a simple fuse tap from Auto Zone. Be sure to put removable connectors on the LED....so you can completely remove the bezel if necessary. And secure the new wiring or wrap it with foam so it doesn't rattle.

Now when a potential thief looks into your interior, he knows (thinks) you have an armed security system.....unlike my OEM Ford system which gives no indication it's armed. I sleep better at night with this blinking light....used the same system on my last three cars. The current draw is negligible.....it'll blink for months with a good battery.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
FocusFreak09
Flat Black King

Fan#: 51243
What I Drive: 2001 Chevy Silverado

FF Reputation: 30 FocusFreak09 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
i have always wanted to do this to. good write up man.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
Yocrew
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 54713
What I Drive: 02RedSVT #306

FF Reputation: 19 Yocrew Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Now we all know you don't really have an alarm.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
focusboy5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50002
What I Drive: Four Wheels

FF Reputation: 31 focusboy5 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Wow dude thats a great idea...i might have to give that one a shot.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #5
MattZX3
Detailing Freak

Fan#: 30258
What I Drive: 2014 ford

Points 16,052, Level 81
Points: 16,052, Level: 81 Points: 16,052, Level: 81 Points: 16,052, Level: 81
Level Up 41% Completed
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 23 MattZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
and all someone has to do is rock your car back and forth hard enough to see if there is an alarm or not
Old 08-28-2008, 06:33 PM   #6
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Member bluefront Excellent Standing Member
You're talking about a motion alarm.....which my stock system does not have, but could be added easily enough. There are unlimited ways to rig up your alarm system. My last silent alarm system came with a pager....made no noise at all, just beeped the pager (if you set it that way). Let you take out the thief by yourself.

The whole idea here is to put doubt in the mind of a potential thief. This setup looks real enough to scare off all but the most hard-core car thief. Face it....your car can be stolen or just broken into by somebody determined enough. But there are of plenty of cars that are easy.....not much sense for a thief to pick one that may be a problem.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:48 PM   #7
MattZX3
Detailing Freak

Fan#: 30258
What I Drive: 2014 ford

Points 16,052, Level 81
Points: 16,052, Level: 81 Points: 16,052, Level: 81 Points: 16,052, Level: 81
Level Up 41% Completed
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 23 MattZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
no, the shock sensor WILL cause the alarm to sound if you rock the car back and forth

motion sensors detect motion around the car

i would know, as i have both
Old 08-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #8
loudfocus01
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 26006
What I Drive: 2001 White LX 2002 Infra-Red Svt

FF Reputation: 107 loudfocus01 Excellent Standing Member loudfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
The 00-04 foci come with one of those stock.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:08 PM   #9
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

When I'm at home at night, which is usually the case, the Focus sits in my front driveway, right by the house. If anyone walks within 20' of the car, the house motion detector turns on a bunch of lights and the whole car is lit up. And it's then bright enough to see everything with the security camera, which is pointed at the car.

The little blinking light just adds to the system.....and gives more security when I'm parked away from home. This little mod is cheap enough and fairly easy to install.....only two wires. Worth the trouble for me. Since I've been installing this blinking light mod (ten years at least), none of my cars have been touched, not at home or elsewhere. (fingers crossed)
Old 08-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #10
FuhFuh Focus
Stuff about Florida

Fan#: 67230
What I Drive: 2002 Mazda Protegé ES

FF Reputation: 7 FuhFuh Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudfocus01 View Post
The 00-04 foci come with one of those stock.
^^ Yeah I was just about to say. Mine already has one of those.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.