Got Any Rust? Prevention methods.. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-14-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Memberbluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Got Any Rust? Prevention methods..

I don't have any, and I don't want any. My car is less than three years old, so I wouldn't expect any this soon. But how about ten years from now.....if you've still got the thing?

There are areas on my car that I can see will be a problem.....from past experience and from some inspection of this particular Focus. Here's where the first outer body rust will occur (IMHO) and what you can do about it before the fact.....

Take off a front fender inner splash shield......but before you do buy some new 5/16 nylon rivets, because they break easily. O'Rileys a box of 15 for $3.

Take a look where the dirt/water is getting in there.....

You can't prevent all this crap from getting in, but you can stop a lot of it with a foam collar around the shock opening.

Here's where the rust is likely to start first.....at the rear of the opening behind this foam flap. The thing is sealed too well at the bottom. Any crap that enters there is likely to stay trapped behind the flap, build up, stay wet, and eventually cause fender rust. This happens on many cars. Here's what mine looked like....the other side was much worse.

Crap will get back there no doubt. But if you cut about an inch off that foam flap on the bottom, water will drain out easier, taking the crap with it. There is no 100% certain way to keep this area clean and free from dirt build-up. But if you take the wheel-well shield off maybe once a year for cleaning.....you might prevent this area from rusting. I cleaned everything off and re-painted the area with Rustoleum black paint before I put everything back together. Here's where I made the little cut....

If you only keep cars a few years, rust is no worry. I usually keep cars over 10 years......rust can be a bad problem. It's much easier to prevent.

I'm doing several of this sort of rust prevention methods....anybody interested? I can post more photos....

Old 08-14-2008, 01:08 PM   #2
trailbikerider
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50501
What I Drive: 2002 Granny Gold ZTS, 94 2.3 Ranger

FF Reputation: 14 trailbikerider Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Too bad my car wasn't newer than it is. I'm getting rust on my trunk lid right above and below the trim strip where the ford emblem is; common place to rust.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:24 PM   #3
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Memberbluefront Excellent Standing Member
Hey thanks for that info.....I guess that's the next place to check.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

It's quite likely that different years/models have different potential rust issues. I took the hatch cover off my '06, but couldn't see any problems, existing or potential.

But I did find an issue with the drain holes (five) on the hatch itself. You don't have to take the cover off to see these holes (two are visible in the photo). These drains are important to prevent rusting. Well....two were clogged with wax, and one was improperly punched out at the factory. I was able to open them all up with a small screw-driver. This chips some paint....a little touch-up paint fixed it. Something to check out...

Old 08-14-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Strange double-post......

Last edited by bluefront; 08-14-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
1stTimeFocus00
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 44202
What I Drive: 2000 InfaRed Zx3

FF Reputation: 27 1stTimeFocus00 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Well what i would of done if i got my car earlier in its years was rustproof everything. My 89 ranger was fully rustproofed and its just chippin and rusting. So yea look at gettin that sheet metal and ur frame rustproofed. I think it comes in spray cans now??
Zetec Crew #152
United States Army
Old 08-20-2008, 12:07 PM   #7
StealthGray
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19017
What I Drive: '04 Liquid Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 StealthGray Great Standing Member
I just found a couple of developing rust spots I need to take care of. For those with hatches - raise the hatch, and look along where the bumper cover fits under the hatch opening, my cover has rubbed the paint off two small spots about eight inches in from each side of the hatch opening. Sorry, no pics right now.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:32 PM   #8
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

That last rust problem....tough one. Sounds like the hatch needs adjustment....either that or the rear bumper got hit and is pushed upward. How to fix? Maybe touch-up the edge where the paint is rubbed.....but it's likely to get rubbed off again. I'd try running a strip of that door edge guard (the clear tape type)......over the bottom edge of the hatch. Plus keep after it....

I've been taking parts off my Focus...just checking for potential rust problem areas. Took the tail lights off today. That's a bad spot on many cars that leaks water into the trunk area. Mine looked pretty good. There's a rubber boot around the wire harness.....but it looked ok. There are three plastic inserts in the body for the attachment. There are seals to keep out the water, but I applied a glob of silicone grease on each insert before I put the things back together. Should be ok....check the wire boot every few years.

Water leaks in the trunk usually end up by the spare tire.....check it frequently. If anything's wet back there find the leak....
Old 09-14-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
codemonkey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42989
What I Drive: 2005 Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 3 codemonkey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What is the corrosion warranty on the Focus'? Is there not certain things that should be covered under that?
Old 09-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #10
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Don't know the answer to that....

Bookmarks & Social Networks