Introducing the redesigned 2009 Ford Focus Coupe - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-13-2008, 12:03 AM   #1
Tom
FF Founder

Fan#: 2
What I Drive: 2005 Saleen ZX3 SES Turbo

Points 85,638, Level 100
Points: 85,638, Level: 100 Points: 85,638, Level: 100 Points: 85,638, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 60 Tom Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Introducing the redesigned 2009 Ford Focus Coupe

Sporty new look for 2009 Ford Focus Coupe

• The 2009 Focus coupe is set to debut on "American Idol" on Fox on Wednesday.
  • Sporty updates inspired by customer feedback, including new front and rear fascias, a new roof-line spoiler and standard 17-inch aluminum wheels on the SES series, enhance the car's profile and further differentiate the Focus coupe from the sedan.
  • Performance improvements include increased horsepower on 5-speed manual versions and quicker acceleration, thanks to a new final drive ratio on models with four-speed automatic transmissions – without any compromise to Focus' 35-miles-per-gallon fuel economy rating.
  • Focus posted an 88 percent increase in retail sales in April versus a year ago.

DEARBORN, Mich., May 13, 2008 – The hot-selling Ford Focus debuts a new coupe version for the 2009 model year Wednesday on American's hottest television show – "American Idol." This marks the first time Ford has ever revealed a new product on prime time television.

"Focus is the little car that delivers in a big way for customers, with 35 mpg fuel economy, cool features including SYNC, a fun drive, strong quality and the right price," said John Felice, Ford Division group marketing manager. "We've built on those strengths to deliver an even sportier coupe version for 2009 and thought the 'American Idol' debut would be a new way for customers to see the upgrades for themselves."

The new Focus coupe can be seen for the first time during the Wednesday broadcast of "American Idol" on FOX, which airs at 9 p.m. EST.

The Focus coupe will be part of the "American Idol" Ford Video featuring this season's remaining contestants. Episodes of American Idol typically draws an audience of more than 20 million viewers. The 45-second music video also will be featured on the "American Idol" Web site at www.americanidol.com under the Ford Music Video page.

Sportier Design
Focus retail sales were up 88 percent in April versus the prior year, and a growing number of younger customers have been buying the new Focus model that was launched in late 2007.

"We've spent a lot of time talking with small-car customers and Focus enthusiasts," said Sam De La Garza, Focus marketing manager. "Their overwhelming feedback was that a sportier exterior design could attract even more Millennials, or those people born between 1980 and 1995 – 11,000 of whom reach driving age every day in the U.S."

With that in mind, the Focus team sculpted the coupe's new front and rear fascias to provide a sportier appearance. The lower front fascia incorporates a larger open area that bares a strong resemblance to the acclaimed design of the new global Ford Fiesta subcompact. The fog lamps – now standard – are better integrated into the overall design of the front fascia, and its signature two-bar chrome front grille and chrome accents around the headlamps have been darkened for added differentiation.

"The new coupe looks really sporty," said Thomas, co-founder of www.focusfanatics.com and Ford Focus owner. "It is great to see that Ford values our feedback and is willing to make quick changes."

"The new front fascia, 17-inch sport wheels and fog lamps remind me of the old Focus SVT models," Thomas added.

For differentiation, the high-end Focus SES will feature a standard high-mounted spoiler that is incorporated into the design of the roof. The high-mounted design contributes to Focus' overall muscular stance. A decklid spoiler will remain part of the Focus SE exterior design.

New premium-painted Dark Chrome 17-inch aluminum wheels, also standard on SES, complete the coupe's redesigned exterior.

Sounds 'Bad' and Goes Faster -- With More Control
The 2009 Focus SES coupe features more horsepower and a throatier sound, thanks to a new sport-tuned exhaust. The SES coupe with a four-speed automatic transmission will have a new 4.2 final drive ratio to deliver quicker off-the-line acceleration for a faster 0-60 mph time.

A new option for 2009 is electronic stability control (ESC), which uses sophisticated sensors and the anti-lock braking system to help correct skids that can lead to accidents.

Fuel-efficient Powertrains
The 2009 Focus Coupe is equipped with a 2.0-liter, Duratec 20 dual-overhead-cam (DOHC), inline 4-cylinder engine that delivers 143 horsepower when mated to a five-speed manual transmission and 140 horsepower when paired with a four-speed automatic transmission.

Also available is a super-clean, 130-horsepower Duratec 20E engine that qualifies Focus as a Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle (PZEV). The 20E's tailpipe emissions are cleaner than some hybrid gas-electric vehicles'. The Duratec 20 and 20E in Focus Coupe are mated to a five-speed manual transmission and achieve EPA-estimated fuel economy of 35 mpg.

SYNC Standard on Focus SES
Also setting the Focus coupe apart from other small cars is Ford's industry-exclusive SYNC technology, which will be standard equipment on the SES series and optional on the SE. SYNC is a fully integrated in-vehicle, voice-activated communications and entertainment system for customers to use their Bluetooth cell phones and digital media players.

SYNC was first introduced on the 2008 Focus and was an immediate hit with customers, helping to increase Focus' share in an extremely competitive small-car market. Nearly 50 percent of the 2008 model year Focus units sold during April included SYNC. SYNC-equipped vehicles sell nearly twice as fast as those without.

SYNC also was a feature that helped motivate editors of Kelley Blue Book's kbb.com to name the 2008 Ford Focus one of the "Top Ten Coolest New Cars Under $18,000" in April.

The 2009 Focus Coupe, available later this summer, will have an MSRP that starts at $15,920. All Focus models are built at the Wayne (Mich.) Assembly Plant.

Cliff Notes on 2009 changes:
1) New Front Grill & Fascia.
2) Side Vents are gone.
3) 17" (SVT Style) Sport Wheels.
4) Power increase to 143 horsepower.
5) New rear diffuser.
6) New rear high mounted spoiler.
7) New rear lights.
8) Revised front lights
9) Free flowing exhaust system.
10) 4.2 final drive ratio for automatic transmissions.
11) New optional electronic stability control (ESC).

PHOTOSHOPPED OF HATCH VERSION:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2008, 12:05 AM   #2
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: kermit

Points 14,653, Level 78
Points: 14,653, Level: 78 Points: 14,653, Level: 78 Points: 14,653, Level: 78
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
man, now thats nice.
like the mono look with very little chrome
Old 05-16-2008, 11:43 AM   #3
tiger61378
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54476
What I Drive: 2003 Red ZX3 Sport

FF Reputation: 3 tiger61378 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ok, now THAT looks good. Esp. w/ the gunmetal grille instead of the bright chrome POS on the standard '08s. That car in black would look EVIL!

Still...not a hatch any more :(
Hatchback Lover #53
Old 05-13-2008, 12:05 AM   #4
Peregrine
I.S.A.I.K.I.

Fan#: 6009
What I Drive: '03 CD Silver SVT, '11 Mazda CX-9

FF Reputation: 112 Peregrine Excellent Standing Member Peregrine Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Needs 18's.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:06 AM   #5
ZXTHR33
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49929
What I Drive: 2004 Sangria Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 ZXTHR33 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Wow... ummmmm. That's it?

It looks better with the darker chrome grille and no-fender vents, but I never thought that it was the lower part of the front that needed work. The rear spoiler is interesting, but I'd have to see it in person. The wheels will be good for people who didn't want to change them on their own.

All in all I think they could have done more.

SOLI DEO GLORIA
Old 05-13-2008, 12:06 AM   #6
Tom
FF Founder

Fan#: 2
What I Drive: 2005 Saleen ZX3 SES Turbo

Points 85,638, Level 100
Points: 85,638, Level: 100 Points: 85,638, Level: 100 Points: 85,638, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 60 Tom Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
*Please Note Before Replying*
Before replying to this thread, please take a moment and share a constructive criticism. We WILL DELETE threads that are considered inappropriate or rude.

A few more pictures:

Old 05-13-2008, 12:18 AM   #7
blackheart4355
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 28289
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3 SE copper

FF Reputation: 1 blackheart4355 Good Standing Member
Well,

This is definitely a step in the right direction. I love the EAP rims, and the change in the front driving lights, I'd like to see it in a few different colours, maybe in gray or black. I'm not sure about the roofline spoiler, Did they change anything in the interior Tom? Not that there was much they needed to change in my opinion!! Generally I'd say the designers did a good job and I think this update will sell a few more cars.
Blazing Copper Crew #001
Team Duratec #73
Team Canada #1
Last of the Hatches #58
Old 05-15-2008, 01:10 AM   #8
dubalicious
Focus Addict

Fan#: 33589
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, I call her Vera.

FF Reputation: 2 dubalicious Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
The non-chrome grille does look a bit better but the plastic bit underneath it just looks tacky and awkward. Maybe they should of just left it bare or put a solid black plastic piece in?
Old 06-13-2008, 07:07 AM   #9
melbzetec
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10307
What I Drive: 2003 Machine Silver Zetec

FF Reputation: 2 melbzetec Good Standing Member
[QUOTE=Tom;2124308]*Please Note Before Replying*
Before replying to this thread, please take a moment and share a constructive criticism. We WILL DELETE threads that are considered inappropriate or rude.

This says it all doesn't it?
Ford U.S. must have the world's biggest ugly stick in the design studio cupboard.
The interior is hot , but OMG the exterior!!!!

(here is the constructive bit) The sooner the U.S. follows the European design, the better for everyone.

Bear this in mind Detroit...
Ford Europe: Huge success.
Ford U.S.:Going down the toilet.

And how much is it costing you to have two designs?

Compare: UK RS and 2009 U.S.Focus

When will American businesses lose the arrogance, and concede that they don't always know best????

Last edited by melbzetec; 06-13-2008 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Can't spell
Old 06-13-2008, 12:39 PM   #10
pmason718
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53726
What I Drive: 2010 Coupe Blue Flame Metallic

FF Reputation: 1 pmason718 Good Standing Member
My girlfriend has the 2008 coupe and I was wondering can she remove the side vents? If so, how? and will it damage anything?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.