Exterior brake lights stay on (right, center, and left) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-17-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
red2003
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 53661
What I Drive: 2003 red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 red2003 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Lightbulb Exterior brake lights stay on (right, center, and left)

With the transmission in Drive and no pressure on the brake pedal, the exterior brake lights are still on.

This is not a problem caused by the brake pedal switch (both of the plunger switches located at the pedal test ok). With the car ignition on and the transmission in park, no pressure on the brake pedal, the brake lights are NOT on. Pushing the pedal causes the brake lights to come on and causes the solenoid release pin to activate, allowing the transmission selector to be moved out of park. If the selector is left in park, releasing the brake pedal causes the brake lights to go out, that part of the brake circuit seems to be working ok. The problem with the brake lights staying happens when the transmission is moved out of park to any other position, including neutral and allowing the car to stand with no brakes on or to just coast, the brake lights still stay on when there is no pressure on the brake pedal.

I don't have a wiring diagram for the car, does anyone know where they can be obtained for free or low cost? It appears there may be a relay in the interlock circuit that connects the brake pedal switches, transmission selector switch, and ignition switch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2009, 01:17 AM   #2
2002focusSEwagon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 28313
What I Drive: 2002 Focus SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 3 2002focusSEwagon Good Standing Member
The same problem exactly, with my 2002 Focus SE wagon. Also, the third break light does not light at all. Here's the problem....The wires in the umbilical cord connecting the body to the hatch are "trashed". The insulation is brittle and cracked. Two of the wires are completely severed. Poor engineering at this critical junction. I'll try to put up some pictures. You will likely find the same problem with yours.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
2002focusSEwagon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 28313
What I Drive: 2002 Focus SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 3 2002focusSEwagon Good Standing Member
Here are the pictures of the broken wires
Old 07-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
MalcolmRoachjr.
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 76890
What I Drive: 2002 Tan Focus QWagon

FF Reputation: 1 MalcolmRoachjr. Good Standing Member
Thumbs up Awsome Information and details bro!

Today i had the same problem come up on my focus , i opened up this thread and the info was helpful and right on the money. I plan on re wiring the entire area this weekend and modifing the entire area so this will never happen again.

I appriciate your details and help , you saved me some money and that put a smile on my face
Old 07-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
arlenn
Focus Addict

Fan#: 67609
What I Drive: 2002 Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 16 arlenn Great Standing Member
how did you make the repair? Its hard to get fingers in there, and we have not got to fingers and tools yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002focusSEwagon View Post
Old 08-02-2010, 04:18 PM   #6
psenechal
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33188
What I Drive: 2002 Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 psenechal Good Standing Member
Same issue here

Thanks for the posting. I have the exact same issue going on and will be checking this wiring out tonight. I'll post pictures of what I find as well in case it helps anyone.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
DonRamon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 39646
What I Drive: Focus ZX3 2002

FF Reputation: 1 DonRamon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002focusSEwagon View Post
Thankyou, i had the same problem with my ZX3, looked at your pics and found same problem, one of the wires was cut the rest are stripped, its a mess in there, but i reconnected the broken wire and now it all works. Your post was very helpfull.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
muststang66
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108430
What I Drive: 2002 Red Focus wagon

FF Reputation: 1 muststang66 Good Standing Member
To 2002focusSEwagon, Brake lights wiring problem.
Thank you for taking your time to post the photos of the focus wagon, i really appreciate it. i would have never isolated this.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
muststang66
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108430
What I Drive: 2002 Red Focus wagon

FF Reputation: 1 muststang66 Good Standing Member
To 2002focusSEwagon, Thank you for taking your time to post the photos of the focus wagon, i really appreciate it. i would have never isolated this.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #10
numzi
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 120130
What I Drive: 2008toyota blue

FF Reputation: 1 numzi Good Standing Member
you just helped me a lot .I had the same brake light problem and with your help I just fixed it. THANK YOU

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.