front sway bar, strut tower brace, stress bars...huh?! - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-17-2007, 11:12 PM   #1
stoopidsteve87
!FRENCH FRY!

Fan#: 31168
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda3 Skyactiv

FF Reputation: 8 stoopidsteve87 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
front sway bar, strut tower brace, stress bars...huh?!

ok, so i just ordered a rear sway bar. no problem. i understand what i'm getting and the point of it. but what about the front? i haven't seen very many front sway bars. i've seen some strut tower braces though. and front stress bars on focussport. what's the difference in all three of these (front sway bar, front stress bar, strut tower braces), because they all seem to me to be about the same? what should i get? what do i NEED to get, considering i've got a roush rear sway bar coming? and what about other stuff on the rear, as in a rear stress bar or whatever else?

sorry, lots of questions there, but any info and suggestions would be helpful on differentiating between the three things i listed on the front end.

Gump Crew #11 / Team Duratec #196
THE Blazin' Copper Hottness of the South

!FRENCH FRY! - The Stop Light Destroyer
Taylor Swift Crew(TSC) #2
Old 10-18-2007, 08:36 AM   #2
steronz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 32258
What I Drive: 2003 ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 steronz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
In the case of focussport, their front stress bar = a strut tower brace. Their rear stress bar is a rear strut tower brace. The idea is to help eliminate some flex in the chassis. While I can't really argue that there's no benefit to this, I personally consider them to be a waste of money, unless your tires are so sticky that you can actually benefit from reducing a few degrees of tire deflection caused by the unibody flexxing. However, it's a cheap mod that can't really hurt anything (besides adding a little weight), so if you like the looks and you feel that your engine bay is too twisty, go for it.

It's hard to see what you actually NEED, though. Assuming you upgraded the rear sway bar to help solve a problem of understeer, then you need to get some seat time and see if that solved your problem. If your car oversteers now, then you may want to consider a front sway bar as well to balance it out. A lot of it comes down to personal preference, and getting the car to do what you'd like it to do. I wouldn't by any of that stuff (stress bars or sway bars) unless you have a specific problem that you're trying to find a solution for.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:44 AM   #3
stoopidsteve87
!FRENCH FRY!

Fan#: 31168
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda3 Skyactiv

FF Reputation: 8 stoopidsteve87 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
lol, well for $40 i figured i had nothing to lose :)
Gump Crew #11 / Team Duratec #196
THE Blazin' Copper Hottness of the South

!FRENCH FRY! - The Stop Light Destroyer
Taylor Swift Crew(TSC) #2
Old 10-19-2007, 04:43 PM   #4
cafociguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 21858
What I Drive: 01 ZX3, 03 ZX3 PWSCed

FF Reputation: 46 cafociguy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I picked up a focus central front strut tower brace and Focus Sport rear mainly for looks, (chrome is pretty), but I did notice a little difference with the rear one on my car, not much for the front but they are still on my car, not sure how much they help, but like I said they are pretty... HA HA

You will definitely be able to tell a difference with sway bars, really make the ride different in the car, I like it. less lean in turns.

Bookmarks & Social Networks