How to install an Air Bag Delete in 30 minutes - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-01-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
KS1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46191
What I Drive: '04 Toreador Red Manual ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 KS1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
How to install an Air Bag Delete in 30 minutes

Ok, this may not be the best way to do this install, but trust me, it is definitely the easiest. After fooling around with this for over 2 hours trying to do it the "right way", I finally figured out how to get the job done fairly quickly.

Tools Needed:

Flat Head Screwdriver
10mm Wrench (preferably a ratcheting wrench)
7mm Socket Wrench with extension
Needle Nose Pliers
12 Pack of Heineken
(I was drinking while doing this install, so if my socket sizes are a little off, forgive me. )

Step 1.

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY! I don't know about you, but I enjoy having teeth, so this is a very important step. Just disconnect the negative cable.

Step 2.

Unclip the front (the side facing you) of the original air bag cover from the dashboard. This is a little tricky, but a flat head screw driver works very well. Don't worry about bending the air bag cover, it is made of vinyl laid over sheet metal and bends back to shape very easily. (Mine was completely bent out of shape, and now it looks new again.) What you do is slide the screwdriver between the dash and the cover, starting on the right side corner, until you find the fixed plastic clips. Then simply pry the cover up until the clip pops out. (If you have to pry very hard, you may want to use a piece of scrap wood to protect the dash.) There are 7 clips you have to pop out, five on the front, and two on the left hand side of the cover. Once you do this, the front of the cover should be free of the dash, though the back (windshield side) is still attached.

This shows you where the clips are

Step 3.

Bend the Air Bag Cover back so you can see the 3 bolts that attach the cover to the air bag assembly. These bolts point down from the cover and are held in place by 3 nuts, 10mm I believe. You may have to push the rolled up air bag down to see all of the bolts.

This is where the bolts are

This shows how it will look once you move the rolled up bag down a little bit

Step 4.

Use a 10mm wrench to remove the nuts from the bolts holding the cover in place. (I would recommend using a ratchetting wrench to save time.) This is the hardest part of the whole project, but I promise it is possible. The way I did it was simply push the rolled up air bag down until I could slip the wrench around the nut to loosen it. After the nut is loosened a little, it spins freely, so just use the end of the wrench to spin it off the bolt. Once you remove all three nuts, the cover should lift off.

Bolt locataion for step 4 and 5, notice holes on both sides for step 5

Step 5.

Once you remove the cover, you will see four bolts holding the air bag in place. Remove these bolts with a 7mm (I think) socket. *Don't remove the smaller bolts in the middle, only the bolts on the four corners of the air bag.

Step 6.

After removing the four bolts, you can lift the air bag assembly up to remove the wires on each side. The wires simply unplug, but you may need to use needle nose pliers. Once it is unplugged, you can take the air bag out easily.

Step 7.

Snap in your shiny new air bag delete and enjoy.

*This install may not be the most fun, but I promise it is better than the alternative method which involves taking out your glove box, removing 2 AC vent tubes, being upside down in you passenger seat, and then finding out that you can't reach the damn bolts anyway. But if you enjoy cussing a lot, have fun trying it the "right way".

Zetec Crew #159

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom."

Last edited by KS1; 10-04-2007 at 04:33 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2007, 08:58 PM   #2
Dan-O
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50029
What I Drive: 2002 FrankenTurbo powered Beetle

FF Reputation: 13 Dan-O Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
Or....
You could just ask first before you wreck your air bag cover in case you need to reinstall it later.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:13 AM   #3
KS1
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-O View Post
Or....
You could just ask first before you wreck your air bag cover in case you need to reinstall it later.
lol, as I said, this is NOT the way the directions I have said to do this install, it is an easier ALTERNATIVE, and as far as my airbag cover goes, it looks brand new, all I was trying to do is help someone out before they get under their dash and figure out this a serious PITA, if you want, I'll send you the pdf I have on the "right way" to do this install, you can have fun with that, I'd love to watch
Zetec Crew #159

Old 10-02-2007, 10:27 PM   #4
Dan-O
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by InAndOutOfFocus View Post
lol, I'll send you the pdf I have on the "right way" to do this install, you can have fun with that, I'd love to watch
Or I can look it up in the factory Ford manual in my classroom.
(I'm an ASSET instructor)
Yeah, I've removed it before, a ratcheting wrench is the key to the job.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:04 PM   #5
Jonnerboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41200
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Jonnerboy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I'm pretty sure that if you got in an accident with some being in the passenger seat you'd get man slaughter for sure...

Why would you not want airbags? I don't see any positive things coming from it, only a lose/lose situation.

SHOW: 20% tint all-around, Niteshaded corners and tails
GO: HRW mod, K&N Panel Filter, Ported throttle body, CFM HFC
Old 10-01-2007, 10:46 PM   #6
Xetchx
Focus Addict

Fan#: 49113
What I Drive: 03 Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 23 Xetchx Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnerboy View Post
I'm pretty sure that if you got in an accident with some being in the passenger seat you'd get man slaughter for sure...

Why would you not want airbags? I don't see any positive things coming from it, only a lose/lose situation.
umm unless they changed the rules I don't think airbags are required

LOL and after all the accident reports and complaints about Focus Air bags made to Ford I wouldn't relly expect them to work anyway, just hope LOL

Good write up dude!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav-E2.0 View Post
I'm not hard, I'm fluffy...lol
Old 10-02-2007, 08:18 AM   #7
KS1
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xetchx View Post
umm unless they changed the rules I don't think airbags are required

LOL and after all the accident reports and complaints about Focus Air bags made to Ford I wouldn't relly expect them to work anyway, just hope LOL

Good write up dude!!
Thanx bro, I didn't really think this would get this much attention, I was just trying to help some people out
Zetec Crew #159

Old 10-01-2007, 10:40 PM   #8
foxstalker88
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47067
What I Drive: 2001 Imphra-Red SE 4-Door

FF Reputation: 1 foxstalker88 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Some people put gauges where the passenger airbag is.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:49 PM   #9
j-zetec_pr
MACHINERY TECHNIAN

Fan#: 47101
What I Drive: 2000 Silver ZX3 Kona, MTX-75, Zetec

FF Reputation: 27 j-zetec_pr Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
i have friends with fast-as hell crx's and 89-91 civic hatches.. none of them have airbags. not that i'm saying it's safe (or less safe, for that matter),but i don't think that "manslaughter" thing makes any sense to me
Old 10-02-2007, 07:36 AM   #10
Dan-O
Focus Addict

I have friends with 1950's hot rods that don't have seat belts? Should I take mine out?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.