First time Sunday...advice? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-28-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
BlackJack03
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 43232
What I Drive: 04 EAP ZX5 SVTF

FF Reputation: 31 BlackJack03 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
First time Sunday...advice?

As the title says, first time autocrossing this weekend. Extremely pumped about it...can't wait to test the limits of my car!!! Well...just drive fast LEGALLY!

Pros of autocrossing: advice for me as a first-timer? Techniques? Things to watch out for?

Thanks...

Also what class should I go into? I read through and I'm thinking STS but see my mods in my profile...thanks...

Old 09-28-2007, 09:58 PM   #2
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing MemberWeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The biggest thing is to go into the experience with absolutely NO expectations.

Save ONE. Have fun.

From a basic "prep" point of view, inflate your tires to 10 PSI over the recommended prior to your runs.

Be sure to return them to normal before you are finished.

If you have the opportunity, ride with an experienced driver or an instructor. Work the course with an experienced driver.

OBSERVE.

Rule 1. Learn the course. Walk it as often as you can, but walk it as if you are in the driver seat. So, put about a foot between you and the gate to your left ( for driver side apexes) and about 5 feet on the right (for passenger side apexes).

Rule 2. When you get into the car, remember that "slower is faster". That's not to say cruise around at 10 MPH, but rather don't overdrive the car. LOTS and LOTS of tire squealing may amount to a lot of flash, but you are actually slowing down.

Rule 3. Take an instructor with you. If anything, they show you the course. By doing this, I am certain that you will drop 2+ seconds off of your first time in subsequent runs.

Finally, go out there with the attitude that you are all about learning and not about beating the other driver(s). If you do go out with the attitude that you will win outright (and you may - but doubtful), the you will quickly become discouraged. Focus not on the other guy's time, but on you own and use that as a measurement of your improvement.

Even 1/10th of a second is huge. On average, each tenth of a second = 2 car lengths. So, if you improve by 2 tenths, then you finished 4 car lengths above your previous run. That's pretty impressive!

So, do the math if on your second run you will be 3 or more seconds faster (which WILL happen).

Good luck! Have fun! and let us know how you do!!!

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 09-28-2007, 10:02 PM   #3
Dcl2049
MyCarBreaksAlot

Fan#: 18957
What I Drive: 2002 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 69 Dcl2049 Excellent Standing Member
Make some friends and talk to the other racers. We love helping out newbies because it's fun to edumacate others about racing.

With the header and high flow I want to say STX, the rules are a little hazy here (as they are pretty much all over that massive rulebook). If the cat is <4" downstream from OE location I think that's where you are, otherwise it's going to be SP or SM. But if they are not strict about classes just go into STS and don't worry about it too much. It is your first time after all.
Dan - gumpcrew #4
[BBS][Borla][Focus Central][Hella][K&N][Koni][Lentech][Wings West]
#23 STS Wiregrass Region SCCA
Old 09-28-2007, 10:19 PM   #4
miniboon
Dehawkified

Fan#: 35233
What I Drive: 2005 Impreza 2.5 RS

FF Reputation: 42 miniboon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
as for classing, you can probably just ask someone there, they will class you appropriately, and dont worry about class, its about having fun. my advice on your first time, think about baseball lol
Old 09-29-2007, 11:18 AM   #5
BlackJack03
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 43232
What I Drive: 04 EAP ZX5 SVTF

FF Reputation: 31 BlackJack03 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
What about first-time autocrossing in the rain? lol...
Old 09-29-2007, 02:04 PM   #6
funksilver04
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 28179
What I Drive: 2007 Silver Mazdaspeed 3 GT

FF Reputation: 1 funksilver04 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
My very first autox it rained very heavy at start of race, tapered off but still rain all day. My SVTF did really well in the wet, especially compared to the rear wheel drive cars. The front wheel drive do pretty good in wet weather (if you have decent tires). If you know how your car handles in the rain and it's limits you'll do fine. I think all the responses given here covered about everything. What helped me the most was talking to other experienced drivers at the event. Don't expect much and have FUN. This sport is about seat time, the more seat time the better you'll get. It's definitely addicting and a lot of fun seeing what your car can do.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:14 PM   #7
miniboon
Dehawkified

the best advice for the rain - use your wipers
Old 09-29-2007, 05:19 PM   #8
Dcl2049
MyCarBreaksAlot

Fan#: 18957
What I Drive: 2002 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 69 Dcl2049 Excellent Standing Member
And don't forget to tokyo drift it.
Dan - gumpcrew #4
[BBS][Borla][Focus Central][Hella][K&N][Koni][Lentech][Wings West]
#23 STS Wiregrass Region SCCA
Old 09-29-2007, 05:28 PM   #9
miniboon
Dehawkified

is that similar to bending it like beckham?
Old 10-08-2007, 08:59 AM   #10
DonatasSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 40573
What I Drive: 2004 Infrared SVT

FF Reputation: 1 DonatasSVT Good Standing Member
Hi, didn't want to start a new thread. I've run some slaloms with my SVTf. But I have always run using recommended tire pressures:
32 psi in front
29 psi in rear.
I'm still on the factory Continentals.
Does adding 10 psi or so give more grip? I have never seen anyone doing that where I race. That would be a nice improvement if it really helps :)
Also, I usually run in slow tracks where I almost always use 1st gear and due to that I have some wheel spin and understeer. What tire pressure would you advice? Less in rears to cure understeer?

Bookmarks & Social Networks