STREET RACING - A Rant and a WARNING - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > General Racing Chat

General Racing Chat Use this Forum to discuss everything from launching off the line and four wheel drifts, to telling your favorite race tale. (Posting Rules)

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 10:35 PM   #1
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
STREET RACING - A Rant and a WARNING

All -

Myself and other Mods have been accused of being Nazis when it comes to our supervision of the racing forum on the whole.

As enthusiasts, we are certainly understanding and supportive of "spirited" driving.

At the same time, we have a social responsibility to ourselves and the rest of the online FF community to ensure that we are held above the typical "ricer mentality".

Like it or not, regardless of age or experience, when you line up at a stop light on a public road, you cast a shadow of derision on ALL OF US.

I am not trying to sound like some old curmudgeon or like anyone's parents, but the truth of the matter is that perception is reality.

If some of us, as part of this online community, participate or continue to participate in illegal racing then we ALL suffer.

Some will disagree with this position, but stop before you drop the hammer at a light or on any other road and ask yourself a couple of questions:

1. What does it prove?

2. If my ego is THAT important, then maybe I should think about backing it up with something beyond folklore?

3. Am I or my car REALLY that good?

4. Is the risk worth the pay-off of a "good story"?

Ask yourself these questions. In addition, ask yourself what is the fear/concern of taking my very capable vehicle to a sanctioned racing event?

If you are afraid, then there is doubt.

So, pony up and show us what you've got! Money isn't a concern. For a day at the drag stip or the AX course, you will spend less than if you went to dinner at Taco Bell and a movie.

You have something (i.e. a trophy, prize money, or both) to PROVE that you aren't blowing smoke up everyone's hind end.

Posers are what they are and at the end of the day, they are the ones who look in the mirror and have to confront their own inferiority to TRUE RACERS.

I am not so naive to think that because of this post or any other that street racing will not continue...

At the same time, ask yourself "why?"

And why do I want to be part of this "subculture". Notice that "SUB" is a key component to this term.

I pledge this to all in the FF community:

1. After this message, I will NOT preach

2. I WILL lock and remove any references posted to this forum concerning street racing that violate the rules set forth

3. I WILL look down my nose at any and ALL who do not have the intestinal fortitude to REALLY show what they are made of and put themselves and their equipment on the line in a SANCTIONED racing event.

If these things are not acceptable to you and others who chose to race on the street, then so be it.

Just understand that you are not now, NOR EVER true racers in the definition or the term.

Too many ply their trade now, and before you, to have their practice and passion besmirched by idiots.

OK, I'm done...

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
    Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2007, 08:45 AM   #2
miniboon
Dehawkified

Fan#: 35233
What I Drive: 2005 Impreza 2.5 RS

FF Reputation: 42 miniboon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Hear Hear!
Old 09-24-2007, 09:18 AM   #3
SLVRbulletSVT03
Focus Addict

Fan#: 14449
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver SVTF

Points 2,406, Level 29
Points: 2,406, Level: 29 Points: 2,406, Level: 29 Points: 2,406, Level: 29
Level Up 71% Completed
Level up: 71% Level up: 71% Level up: 71%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 SLVRbulletSVT03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Very Very Very well said, probably the most justified, respectable Rant i've ever read.....
Old 09-24-2007, 09:20 AM   #4
Midnight_DevilX
Focus Addict

Fan#: 49278
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 3 Midnight_DevilX Good Standing Member
Couldn't agree more...you kinda remind of the the guy from tokyo drift that drives the Veilside RX-7 and teaches the main character how to drift...
Old 09-24-2007, 09:20 AM   #5
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 51,268, Level 100
Points: 51,268, Level: 100 Points: 51,268, Level: 100 Points: 51,268, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Well im sorry this is the BIGGEST bunch of BS i have read about street racing it goes to prove that you dont like it but have never done it yet you break driving laws all the time

You SOUND like you sit on your polished throne and like you said "I WILL look down my nose at any and ALL" The rules say not to talk about "street racing" do we really need you .01 about your opinions about it and how you feel like your better then those that do street race

Im guessing you never go above the speed limit? allways come to a 100% stop at all stop signs, obay ALL trafic laws NO YOU DONT no one does but do I look down my nose at you , what makes you better going 5 over the limit or me going 50 over the limit were both breaking the same laws

Now to answer your questions , did you know the first drag race as well as Nascar race even held was done on the street and for almost 50 years (drag racing) was kept that way

"If some of us, as part of this online community, participate or continue to participate in illegal racing then we ALL suffer"

**How am I suffering from you street racing?

1. What does it prove?
**I have nothing to prove to anyone only to my self , some people do this for the money

2. If my ego is THAT important, then maybe I should think about backing it up with something beyond folklore?
**You keep thinking its an ego thing and it isnt , not for some anyway
Folklore ? ? ? you need to get out more

** YES !

** Again a "good story" what is that , true street racing is rarely talked about dont group some kid out here trying to out run a honda with nothing done to either car known as a "kill" as street racing IT ISNT

I go and have gone to the track events and got the trophy and the winning money that doesent even cover the cost of fuel let alone tires or expences getting there before people got to know my car I could go 20 miles and pick up 1000 a night or more

TRUE street racing is serious buisness with serious cars and in most cases done under somewhat controled conditions with guys with some common sence and most of the time for big money 1000 to 10,000 $ or pink slips where do you think Pinks started ?

This "kill" crap starting off from a street light is whats dangerous done with unqualified drivers in cars with little to nothing done to them in an area covered with innocent bistanders

There 2 TOTALLY Diff things that shouldnt be grouped togather but for safety on the Forums it needs to be done and that is understandable for liability and safety

Now saying all that 99.9% of the people that are on FF dont need to be racing on the street , streets are to crouded now and to many onlookers to be hurt it isnt like 20 years ago do your racing on the track is the best and safest for everyone

But I sure wont be the one to throw the first stone ! And I wont look down my nose at them either

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 09-24-2007, 09:28 PM   #6
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Well im sorry this is the BIGGEST bunch of BS i have read about street racing it goes to prove that you dont like it but have never done it yet you break driving laws all the time

You SOUND like you sit on your polished throne and like you said "I WILL look down my nose at any and ALL" The rules say not to talk about "street racing" do we really need you .01 about your opinions about it and how you feel like your better then those that do street race

Im guessing you never go above the speed limit? allways come to a 100% stop at all stop signs, obay ALL trafic laws NO YOU DONT no one does but do I look down my nose at you , what makes you better going 5 over the limit or me going 50 over the limit were both breaking the same laws

Now to answer your questions , did you know the first drag race as well as Nascar race even held was done on the street and for almost 50 years (drag racing) was kept that way

"If some of us, as part of this online community, participate or continue to participate in illegal racing then we ALL suffer"

1. What does it prove?
**I have nothing to prove to anyone only to my self , some people do this for the money

** YES !

** Again a "good story" what is that , true street racing is rarely talked about dont group some kid out here trying to out run a honda with nothing done to either car known as a "kill" as street racing IT ISNT

I go and have gone to the track events and got the trophy and the winning money that doesent even cover the cost of fuel let alone tires or expences getting there before people got to know my car I could go 20 miles and pick up 1000 a night or more

TRUE street racing is serious buisness with serious cars and in most cases done under somewhat controled conditions with guys with some common sence and most of the time for big money 1000 to 10,000 $ or pink slips where do you think Pinks started ?

This "kill" crap starting off from a street light is whats dangerous done with unqualified drivers in cars with little to nothing done to them in an area covered with innocent bistanders

There 2 TOTALLY Diff things that shouldnt be grouped togather but for safety on the Forums it needs to be done and that is understandable for liability and safety

Now saying all that 99.9% of the people that are on FF dont need to be racing on the street , streets are to crouded now and to many onlookers to be hurt it isnt like 20 years ago do your racing on the track is the best and safest for everyone

But I sure wont be the one to throw the first stone ! And I wont look down my nose at them either

Tom
YAY !!!

I knew that my post would bring to a head an HONEST and forthright discussion about street racing.

I concede that a lot of what I posted was purposely inflamatory and maybe even baited a few people.

Before I go further - NIKITER. I never took offense to the Nazi comment. Well, OK, maybe a little, but that was not the purpose of this thread.

I posted this to promote an honest discussion. Some may say that it has been beat to death, but there are some topics that prove there is no horse "too dead to flog". That and I DO believe that it is important to make people aware of the LEGAL options available to them. It's that simple.

I'll start with Tom's points above that I've bolded because he presents good arguments (in terms of history and culture).

Quote:
have never done it yet you break driving laws all the time

If you will notice, I mentioned that as enthusiasts, we all enjoy "spirited driving". If you stay within the rules of the forum ( as I also stated ) then you have no worries.

Quote:
your better then those that do street race

Yep. In my mind and that of many others, there is NO justification whatsoever for racing a car on a public highway - regardless of how remote when there are other options available to you. Prove it on a track. The streets become a place of folklore. Show me a time slip in order for any claim to be credible.

Quote:
Im guessing you never go above the speed limit? allways come to a 100% stop at all stop signs, obay ALL trafic laws NO YOU DONT

Depending on traffic conditions, sure I do to keep from getting killed. Speeds North of the posted limit are often necessary to keep up with the pace of traffic, but that isn't the argument. Stop at all stop signs - ABSOLUTELY. Especially when in VA it could cost you as much as $1300 for rolling through one. Disobeying traffic laws as part of your normal commute is a far cry from lining up on a public street and hammering down to win $50 or $1000 dollars. Furthermore, in principle they may be the same - that I concede - but 5 vs. 50 or 100 MPH in excess of the posted limit are not even in the same universe.

Quote:
did you know the first drag race as well as Nascar race even held was done on the street and for almost 50 years (drag racing) was kept that way

Yes. I do know that, but I don't see many NASCAR drivers on the street. The racing culture has evolved over the last 50 years or so with motorsports becoming as popular as other sports. The movement had to start somewhere and with the current environment being what it is, there is AMPLE opportunity to do it legally that far outweighs the need to do it on a public street. In years past, I watched street races, and to a certain degree, recognize that it is the root of much of the appeal for racing. My GREATER point is that with so much opportunity, it is no longer a necessary evil.

Quote:
How am I suffering from you street racing?

You personally may not. However, what about the enthusiast who expends A LOT of time and energy into making their car competitive on the track? The stigma of a hot car exists now, and possibly for a long time to come, exists. This is something that - especially younger generations, have to contend with every day on their way to and from work/school. Does it make it right? No, but as I stated, perception is reality and unless we take a proactive role in combating the image of "street racers", then the innocent suffer.

Quote:
You keep thinking its an ego thing and it isnt , not for some anyway Folklore ? ? ? you need to get out more

If it's not ego, then what is it? Every street racer that I've ever known has a full time job. They don't race to put food on the table. It's a dangerous and unnecessary "hobby".

Quote:
Am I or my car REALLY that good? TRUE street racing is serious buisness with serious cars and in most cases done under somewhat controled conditions with guys with some common sence and most of the time for big money 1000 to 10,000 $ or pink slips where do you think Pinks started?

Of that, I have no doubt. At the same time, then put yourself and the car into a legal environment where you can get real exposure beyond just the crowd that meets at the Burger King every Saturday night. The amount that you invest to go race on the street is more than sufficient to make you competitive on a local or even the national scene.

As for Pinks...I applaud the show. They appeal to the street racer, but then take the same level of ego and competition to a LEGAL environment. If the show the produce entices even ONE street racer to come out and test themselves and their equipment then the benefit far outweighs the sacrifce of losing a ride.

Quote:
Now saying all that 99.9% of the people that are on FF dont need to be racing on the street

My point exactly.

Quote:

As I said before, many of my comments were purposely inflamatory.

Do I look down my nose? To a large extent I do. The biggest reason for that is that over the years, many street racers refuse to put their cars on a track because they feel that it is "too dangerous". Sanctioned tracks are infinitely safer than a public road. I don't think that anyone will question that a controlled environment (closed/blocked off road or not) is safer because of the presence of EMS services and the impossibility of traffic wandering into the event.

Look, I know that with this post, I didn't make a lot of friends and even potentially alienated some people. However, the point that I was trying to make is that

YOU HAVE OPTIONS

The "holier than thou" comments I made were designed to get people talking and maybe even look introspectively at themselves. Do I enjoy the occasional "spirited drive"? Of course I do! I wouldn't be much of an enthusiast if I didn't.

The other thing is the rules that Tom put forward about posting threads about street racing. The rules are pretty clear. If you violate them, the thread gets locked.

Just keep that in mind. That's all! If this post makes you think twice about saying you did' 7,000 MPH on I-95 against a Bugatti Veyron, then it accomplished it's purpose.

I'll close by saying that myself and the moderator staff are committed to encouraging legal and sanctioned racing events. At the same time, while we don't condone it, we ask that you abide by the rules so that there isn't resentment if we lay down a thread lock.

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 09-25-2007, 09:03 AM   #7
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 51,268, Level 100
Points: 51,268, Level: 100 Points: 51,268, Level: 100 Points: 51,268, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Your a hypocrite and you dont have a clue what you talking about other than this Focus has rules about street racing that NEED to be held up , that point I understand and agree with , when it comes to true street racing you truely have shown your just running off at the mouth to "inflame" and you have done that with me

Rules are here to he upheld weather it be talking about street racing or "spirited driving" weather it be by 5MPH or 50MPH it puts you in tha same class as some one here getting there thread locked for talking about it , street racing "spirited driving" is speeding nothing more how you start it has nothing to do with YOUR SPEEDING and its the speed that kills, you call it " spirtited driving" if that makes you feel better and gets you under the radar for the Forum rules so be it but it lumps you in the same boat as ANYONE street racing your breaking the Law the same law and coming down on street racers when you claim to like "spirited driving" makes you a hyprocrite

QUOTE "If it's not ego, then what is it? Every street racer that I've ever known has a full time job. They don't race to put food on the table. It's a dangerous and unnecessary "hobby".

Again it has nothing to do with ego or putting food on the table its about me and my car my ability to make it faster and the feeling of freedom that comes with it all , the knowladge that my ability can make a car faster then another guys car when we both have the same tools and parts to work with , its something that some one like you could never in a life time understand

This one is my favorite
QUOTE "You personally may not. However, what about the enthusiast who expends A LOT of time and energy into making their car competitive on the track? The stigma of a hot car exists now, and possibly for a long time to come, exists. This is something that - especially younger generations, have to contend with every day on their way to and from work/school. Does it make it right? No, but as I stated, perception is reality and unless we take a proactive role in combating the image of "street racers", then the innocent suffer.
**First let me say dont take the "younger generations" into a candy store then tell them they cannot have candy , you started this to get feed back and just the people that DONT need to be seeing ANYTHING about street racing are just the ones that will be reading this , why bring it up ? the rules are stated , didnt see any one challinging them ?
I dont post in here just because of that but I do read it a good bit why keep poking and prodding , out of sight out of mind

QUOTE "then put yourself and the car into a legal environment where you can get real exposure beyond just the crowd that meets at the Burger King every Saturday night. The amount that you invest to go race on the street is more than sufficient to make you competitive on a local or even the national scene."
**Again you dont know what your talking about , First unless you can afford to spend 1000.00 to 1500.00 a week to follow a points based event like Fun Ford Weekend then exposure is out ,as for putting 30.00 in fuel to have fun on a Sat. night or 100.00 (gas , fuel , entry fee) to go to the track for the day is a big leap for many people, as for being competitive on a national scene it would take roughly 1500.00 a week for gas , fuel for tow rig and car , entry fee , meals , tires (I know I have done it) then you have normal maintenance to run a 12 week a year show and be in the top 5 it would cost low side 25,000.00 high side 35,000.00 and thats only 12 week of racing. Racing at the track cost more WAY more

Did you know that at the track 99% of the time you racing against your self and not the car beside you because most tracks run on a dial-up meaning you have to guess how fast your car is then post that on the window BUT if you run faster then that you loose , now there are test and tune nights where its run what you brung and how and who you want to run but in most cases the track isnt prepped and in fair to poor condition so the faster cars slip and slide and rarely an EMS

Your theorys are full of holes , like I said you need to get out more and pull you head out of the sand . "spitited driving" is ok but street racing isnt? Go to a track its the same thing ?

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 09-25-2007, 01:35 PM   #8
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

^^ That may be true and a bit ham fisted...

Quote:
Your a hypocrite and you dont have a clue what you talking about other than this Focus has rules about street racing that NEED to be held up , that point I understand and agree with , when it comes to true street racing you truely have shown your just running off at the mouth to "inflame" and you have done that with me

Rules are here to he upheld weather it be talking about street racing or "spirited driving" weather it be by 5MPH or 50MPH it puts you in tha same class as some one here getting there thread locked for talking about it , street racing "spirited driving" is speeding nothing more how you start it has nothing to do with YOUR SPEEDING and its the speed that kills, you call it " spirtited driving" if that makes you feel better and gets you under the radar for the Forum rules so be it but it lumps you in the same boat as ANYONE street racing your breaking the Law the same law and coming down on street racers when you claim to like "spirited driving" makes you a hyprocrite

QUOTE "If it's not ego, then what is it? Every street racer that I've ever known has a full time job. They don't race to put food on the table. It's a dangerous and unnecessary "hobby".

Again it has nothing to do with ego or putting food on the table its about me and my car my ability to make it faster and the feeling of freedom that comes with it all , the knowladge that my ability can make a car faster then another guys car when we both have the same tools and parts to work with , its something that some one like you could never in a life time understand

This one is my favorite
QUOTE "You personally may not. However, what about the enthusiast who expends A LOT of time and energy into making their car competitive on the track? The stigma of a hot car exists now, and possibly for a long time to come, exists. This is something that - especially younger generations, have to contend with every day on their way to and from work/school. Does it make it right? No, but as I stated, perception is reality and unless we take a proactive role in combating the image of "street racers", then the innocent suffer.
**First let me say dont take the "younger generations" into a candy store then tell them they cannot have candy , you started this to get feed back and just the people that DONT need to be seeing ANYTHING about street racing are just the ones that will be reading this , why bring it up ? the rules are stated , didnt see any one challinging them ?
I dont post in here just because of that but I do read it a good bit why keep poking and prodding , out of sight out of mind

QUOTE "then put yourself and the car into a legal environment where you can get real exposure beyond just the crowd that meets at the Burger King every Saturday night. The amount that you invest to go race on the street is more than sufficient to make you competitive on a local or even the national scene."
**Again you dont know what your talking about , First unless you can afford to spend 1000.00 to 1500.00 a week to follow a points based event like Fun Ford Weekend then exposure is out ,as for putting 30.00 in fuel to have fun on a Sat. night or 100.00 (gas , fuel , entry fee) to go to the track for the day is a big leap for many people, as for being competitive on a national scene it would take roughly 1500.00 a week for gas , fuel for tow rig and car , entry fee , meals , tires (I know I have done it) then you have normal maintenance to run a 12 week a year show and be in the top 5 it would cost low side 25,000.00 high side 35,000.00 and thats only 12 week of racing. Racing at the track cost more WAY more

Did you know that at the track 99% of the time you racing against your self and not the car beside you because most tracks run on a dial-up meaning you have to guess how fast your car is then post that on the window BUT if you run faster then that you loose , now there are test and tune nights where its run what you brung and how and who you want to run but in most cases the track isnt prepped and in fair to poor condition so the faster cars slip and slide and rarely an EMS

Your theorys are full of holes , like I said you need to get out more and pull you head out of the sand . "spitited driving" is ok but street racing isnt? Go to a track its the same thing ?

Tom
You can call me a hypocrite all you want. Racing on the street and cruising down the highway at 10+ MPH are light years apart. That's where your argument crumbles and you know it.

Quote:
spirited driving" is speeding nothing more how you start it has nothing to do with YOUR SPEEDING and its the speed that kills, you call it

Here you are dead wrong. Speed doesn't kill - poor judgement does. If a vehicle traveling at 70 MPH in a 35 MPH zone runs a red light and hits car, the speed didn't cause the fatality. It was a contributor, not the cause. the cause was poor judgement to travel at excessive speed and running the light. The same applies to street racing. Two cars on a stretch of road and someone pulls out and gets killed. It wasn't the speed it was lack of judgement and the decision to participate in an illegal speed contest that caused the fatality. You street race. I KNOW that you have stories of where you've seen near misses, heard of people getting hurt, and worse. I KNOW that.

Quote:
First let me say dont take the "younger generations" into a candy store then tell them they cannot have candy , you started this to get feed back and just the people that DONT need to be seeing ANYTHING about street racing are just the ones that will be reading this

I stand by my earlier point. If there are legal outlets to race, then why do it on the street? It makes no sense to me.

At a sanctioned track, you have safety measures, organization, logistics, and a controlled environment. That certainly isn't the case with a street race. That and it won't have you looking over your shoulder for the cops or land you in jail. I have NEVER been to a sanctioned course where EMS units weren't standing by.

Quote:
Again you dont know what your talking about , First unless you can afford to spend 1000.00 to 1500.00 a week to follow a points based event like Fun Ford Weekend then exposure is out ,as for putting 30.00 in fuel to have fun on a Sat. night or 100.00 (gas , fuel , entry fee) to go to the track for the day is a big leap for many people, as for being competitive on a national scene it would take roughly 1500.00 a week for gas , fuel for tow rig and car , entry fee , meals , tires (I know I have done it) then you have normal maintenance to run a 12 week a year show and be in the top 5 it would cost low side 25,000.00 high side 35,000.00 and thats only 12 week of racing. Racing at the track cost more WAY more

I bracket raced a 1969 Firebird for 6 years before I discovered road racing. So I am VERY familiar with the ins and outs of dialing in a car and how the staggered or time differential starts work. Don't be so quick to make assumptions like that.

I am very familiar with test and tune nights, the prep that goes into getting a car ready to run and the expense associated with it. Like anything, it can be as expensive or cheap as you want it to be. Like Viney says "Speed is a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?" I've seen people build REALLY expensive and fast cars who never get exposure. The difference is that's not what they necessarily after. They share the same passion that you do. The freedom to build a bad-ass car and the competition and desire to beat the other guy. However, they do it on a track.

My comments are directed at the people who don't have a $3000 a week budget who run the same car that they drive to work/school every day. Not a car that gets backed on a trailer at the end of the night. For those individuals with daily drivers, tracks like the one here charge $30 for night of racing. Get eliminated, you go home. That simple. Sounds much more appealing than racing a car, have the cops chase you, potentially go to jail...

Maybe I am too closed minded, but to me there is no reason to race on the street.

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 10-25-2007, 10:30 PM   #9
project2point
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 23521
What I Drive: 2010 genesis coupe track

FF Reputation: 7 project2point Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:

1. What does it prove?

** YES !

Tom
Im actually going to agree w/ you for once....street racing and stupid idiots who race from stop light to stop light in rush hour traffic are 2 diff. things. True street racing is like fight club you dont talk about where or when it is going to happen outside of the people who have the money/cars to race. Now i know i dont have the fastest car but being freinds w/ them has gotten me into some races. I have seen/heard of races ranging from 500.00 -20,000 dollars. I personally believe that taking it to the strip is stupid. Tracks are notorious for breaking cars because of the conditions. Also it puts alot of abuse on your drivetrain/engine. It is alot cheaper to race on the street.

No one will ever change my thinking on this. Im not driving 4 hours to race where the track conditions are acceptable. The local track sucks, it will be shut down in a matter of years. ( NATIONAL TRAILS)
Old 09-24-2007, 09:51 AM   #10
SLVRbulletSVT03
Focus Addict

Fan#: 14449
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver SVTF

Points 2,406, Level 29
Points: 2,406, Level: 29 Points: 2,406, Level: 29 Points: 2,406, Level: 29
Level Up 71% Completed
Level up: 71% Level up: 71% Level up: 71%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 SLVRbulletSVT03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Tom does also have some good points in his response I also agree with. I think the generally, "true" street racing, as he stated, from many many years ago, has dwindled away, and given way to what most people know as the "street racing" we know of today. The street racing of today, 95% of the time, involves "hot head punk kids" who own Honda's, Imports, and so on and so on who just race from street light to street light. The main point of both the first response and Tom's is, Safety, and Organization. Times have changed, and conditions have changed, and now there really is a "negativity" to street racing that has changed as well.

Im a huge supporter of "keeping it on the track" and not on the streets. I stand by that, and always will.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.