Hawk vs. Axxis (Metal Masters) Brake Pads - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-25-2007, 01:11 PM   #1
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing MemberWeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hawk vs. Axxis (Metal Masters) Brake Pads

OK....

Before I get into my question, a friend of mine sent me the following web site to look at brake pads.

http://www.buybrakes.com

I was stunned at how inexpensive they are.

For example:

Hawk Performance Pads (street use and occasional track use) list for $99.95 per axle at Focus Sport (Part # HB449F)

At buybrakes.com, they list for $75.66 per axle (same Part #)

Axxis (Metal Masters) pads list for $47.08 per axle

I am a big fan of the OEM pad, but $127 per axle from the dealer is a bit steep for pads. My Dad swears by Axxis pads, but he doesn't do nearly as many track events as I do.

So, a couple of questions:

1) Does anyone have experience with the Axxis pad? Good, Bad, the same?

2) I am not a big proponent of running race pads on the street, but the Hawk Blue Pads (Part #HB449BLUE) at $99.95 is tempting, but I would have a back up set for the street. How do these pads do on the foci?

My previous experience on Firebirds were that the Hawk Blues were very "grabby" and not very smooth. That and they chewed rotors at a very high rate.

Appreciate any insight.

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 07-25-2007, 05:10 PM   #2
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
I just love spending other people's money!!! But I have raced enough to have appreciation for how much it costs and how desirable it is to have multiple use parts whenever possible.

That said, please do not use the Blues for a street pad. They could easily get you into trouble. Besides the two issues you mentioned (grabby and rotor wear....very high rotor wear...as in eating them) there's also the very real issue of that first cold stop...which.... ahem....doesn't happen. These pads need lots of heat build up. On the other hand , that WILL wake you up and get your attention on those cold morning commutes. Be forewarned!!!

I used the Axxis metalmasters on my rally car (RX7) and currently have them on my Miata. They have wonderful manners, are very clean, and are kind to rotors. The miata have over 50K commuting miles and they still look brand new. I know some people who used them for lapping and "heard" of people using them for some light racing but I cannot confirm how they held up for that. Per the miata crowd Axxis Ultimates are the current do everything pad. The only downside is that they are a little dirty. Please don't confuse these with cheap ceramic pads. These are real upscale performance pads with ceramic content.

Have you thought about Hawk HP Plus. They're between the HPS and Blues and have a broader operating temp than the blues. I have however "heard" that they're not as rotor friendly as the streetworthy HPS but not as bad as the Blues. The Grassroots Mortorsports mag boys all rave about Porterfield R4S's for a do it all pad as well. Bat Inc people also claim the Mintex 1144 race pads (used by lots of world rally cars) are streetable but they also appear a little pricey, at least from them anyways.

I know I do not need to remind you (its for some of our rookies out there) but new rotors should be considered with any change of pad material, or at a bare bones minimum, they must be turned to have the surfaces cleaned of old bedded pad materials.

If you've been having good luck tracking the stock SVT pads my guess is that the Metal masters, Hawk HPS (or at most) the HP Pluses maybe all that you need.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:47 AM   #3
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing MemberWeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
I just love spending other people's money!!! But I have raced enough to have appreciation for how much it costs and how desirable it is to have multiple use parts whenever possible.

That said, please do not use the Blues for a street pad. They could easily get you into trouble. Besides the two issues you mentioned (grabby and rotor wear....very high rotor wear...as in eating them) there's also the very real issue of that first cold stop...which.... ahem....doesn't happen. These pads need lots of heat build up. On the other hand , that WILL wake you up and get your attention on those cold morning commutes. Be forewarned!!!

I used the Axxis metalmasters on my rally car (RX7) and currently have them on my Miata. They have wonderful manners, are very clean, and are kind to rotors. The miata have over 50K commuting miles and they still look brand new. I know some people who used them for lapping and "heard" of people using them for some light racing but I cannot confirm how they held up for that. Per the miata crowd Axxis Ultimates are the current do everything pad. The only downside is that they are a little dirty. Please don't confuse these with cheap ceramic pads. These are real upscale performance pads with ceramic content.

Have you thought about Hawk HP Plus. They're between the HPS and Blues and have a broader operating temp than the blues. I have however "heard" that they're not as rotor friendly as the streetworthy HPS but not as bad as the Blues. The Grassroots Mortorsports mag boys all rave about Porterfield R4S's for a do it all pad as well. Bat Inc people also claim the Mintex 1144 race pads (used by lots of world rally cars) are streetable but they also appear a little pricey, at least from them anyways.

I know I do not need to remind you (its for some of our rookies out there) but new rotors should be considered with any change of pad material, or at a bare bones minimum, they must be turned to have the surfaces cleaned of old bedded pad materials.

If you've been having good luck tracking the stock SVT pads my guess is that the Metal masters, Hawk HPS (or at most) the HP Pluses maybe all that you need.
Geezer -

As always, great advice.

No need to worry about me running a race pad on the street.

Not that I am made of money, but I think I may try the Axxis pad first. At $50 a pair, it's not unreasonable to think that if I don't like the way they perform that I can't switch out down the road.

On the rotor front, I am replacing them. I have shiny new Frozen Rotors ready to go on the car.

Thanks again for the assist.

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 07-26-2007, 09:19 PM   #4
zx32nr
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 43460
What I Drive: 2007 pitch black zx3 ses

FF Reputation: 16 zx32nr Great Standing Member
i have the hawks as well and i love then they dont give off alot of dust and aside from the rear drums they stop on a dime
Zetec Crew #175
REP WHEN REP IS DUE
shorty header, magnaflow 2 1/2 catback, 65mm TB, pipercross viper, cfm pully set, sct reflash, steeda STS, screemin deamon coil, livewires, and a damn good driver
Old 07-26-2007, 09:29 PM   #5
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Personally I'm a big fan of the Hawk HPS pads, they're right at home on the street and work just fine on the track. The only other pads I'm interested in trying at this point are the aforementioned Mintex 1144s...I'm thinking I might put a set on next spring when my Focus will be garaged most of the time and see how they do...
Old 07-26-2007, 10:01 PM   #6
PapoSwing
Regulator...mount up

Fan#: 3062
What I Drive: 03 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 28 PapoSwing Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Try the Axxis out since they are relatively inexpensive and seem good quality give us a full review
Old 08-13-2007, 03:16 PM   #7
lduran
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18554
What I Drive: '02 ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 lduran Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
That seems like a good price for the Hawks. Anyone know of any other sites that may carry them for less?
Old 08-16-2007, 09:41 AM   #8
RB
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5602
What I Drive: 2004 SVTF, 1995 SHO, 1970 914-6 GT, ...

FF Reputation: 1 RB Good Standing Member
I have never run Hawks, but have used Axxis on many cars, and like Geezer said, great all around pads.

I have found one pad that is better, but unfortunately is not manufactured for our car. It is the Performance Friction Carbon/Metallic pad. Superior stopping, with hardly no dusting, no noise, and only one drawback - no brakes on first stop. Since I live at the top of a hill it is not a problem in my SHO as I just ride the brakes down the hill for about 100 yards and walaaa - heat!
Old 08-16-2007, 10:02 AM   #9
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

^^

I ran the PFC pad for years and I am a big fan.

It was disappointing that they are not made for the foci.

Even touch the brakes and you'd peel your eyes off the windshield.

2002 SVT Focus... Stock

Bookmarks & Social Networks