Too much transmission fluid - ATX - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-04-2007, 02:56 PM   #1
lduran
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18554
What I Drive: '02 ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 lduran Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Too much transmission fluid - ATX

I recently checked the level of the trans fluid and it needed a little bit. My brother was with me and he added the fluid, but he added a little bit too much. Is there a way to drain the fluid without dropping the pan?

Old 07-04-2007, 07:52 PM   #2
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Memberpenguin Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Find someone with an oil extractor (used to change oil via the dipstick), a vacuum bleeder (mity vac is one brand), or a suction gun (used to suck the oil out of rear ends on RWD vehicles). With any of these and a long length of small tubing, you can suck the fluid out via the dipstick tube. Don't do it with the engine/transmission too hot, as there might be a risk of melting the tubing, depending upon what type of small tubing you are using. I suppose you could rig up something with a turkey baster, duct tape, and small tubing as well, but I'm not sure you'd get enough suction to get much, if any, out using that "handyman's special" approach.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:57 PM   #3
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Memberpenguin Excellent Standing Member
Oil Extractor: http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=10122

Suction Gun: http://www.amazon.com/Plews-Suction-Gun/dp/B0008D6O7C

Vacuum Brake Bleeder: http://www.amazon.com/MityVac-MV6815...3597020&sr=1-6
Old 07-04-2007, 10:02 PM   #4
FordZX32000
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33469
What I Drive: 2000 black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 FordZX32000 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lduran View Post
I recently checked the level of the trans fluid and it needed a little bit. My brother was with me and he added the fluid, but he added a little bit too much. Is there a way to drain the fluid without dropping the pan?
Ok here's what I did on my 2000 ZX3 to get rid of some of the fluid.

Ispi
Hay FORDZX32000 With a gasket in place the next pan drop should be a much easier If a leak does develop then we can re torque, up to 10 ft.lb. if necessary, right? I did consider a DIY tranny flush as suggested by others on this forum: Pull the upper cooler hose, run the car in neutral until 3 qts is pumped out, refill and repeat. This is supposed to be safe, especially as a way to flush the torque converter after a pan drop. May do this at the 90K pan drop.

So from there here's what I did.
1. I pulled the car up onto the car ramps.
2. Took a look at the pan bolts and then looked at the tranny cooler lines.
3. I went for the tranny cooler lines as they appeared to be the easy route.
4. There are two tranny cooler lines that run into the tranny cooler located in the front of the car behind the radiator fans. (A) Top cooler line is the supply line. (B) Lower cooler line is the return line.
5. On my car the top cooler line had a rubber hose that connects to a metal line that runs into the cooler. The rubber line was connected with a hose clamp.
6. I unscrewed the hose clamp and slid the rubber hose off.
7. I had a bucket there to catch any fluid.
8. I put the car in neutral with the parking brake on.
9. Had a friend start the car while I'm directing the gushing fluid into the bucket. FYI, Once the car is started it will pump that fluid out real quick!!!
10. I let it pump out about 3-4 qts of fluid and then shut the car off.
11. I reconnected the hose and added 2-qts of new fluid.
12. Back the car off the ramps and let it get to operating temp as well as shifting thru all of the gears.
13. I then added fluid as needed until I had the corrrect level.
I can tell you it was not a bad job to do in order to remove the overfill of fluid.
However I would advise being careful as not to mess up your tranny by pumping all the fluid out of the T/C which is what I did not do. I don't know if it could screw something up or not with the car running with all of the fluid out of the T/C.
Anyway I hope this will help you and others.
Good luck!!!!

Here's the full thread.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124533
Old 07-04-2007, 10:35 PM   #5
lduran
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18554
What I Drive: '02 ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 lduran Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Thank you so much for all who replied. I think I am going to try your method FordZX32000, it sounds like the easiest way to do it with the tools I have on hand.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:01 AM   #6
FordZX32000
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33469
What I Drive: 2000 black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 FordZX32000 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lduran View Post
Thank you so much for all who replied. I think I am going to try your method FordZX32000, it sounds like the easiest way to do it with the tools I have on hand.
You can do it . Take your time when doing this. It's a lot better than dropping the pan again!!!
Old 11-09-2007, 06:53 PM   #7
icanrace
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 51447
What I Drive: 2006 Red ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 icanrace Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordZX32000 View Post
Ok here's what I did on my 2000 ZX3 to get rid of some of the fluid.

Ispi
Hay FORDZX32000 With a gasket in place the next pan drop should be a much easier If a leak does develop then we can re torque, up to 10 ft.lb. if necessary, right? I did consider a DIY tranny flush as suggested by others on this forum: Pull the upper cooler hose, run the car in neutral until 3 qts is pumped out, refill and repeat. This is supposed to be safe, especially as a way to flush the torque converter after a pan drop. May do this at the 90K pan drop.

So from there here's what I did.
1. I pulled the car up onto the car ramps.
2. Took a look at the pan bolts and then looked at the tranny cooler lines.
3. I went for the tranny cooler lines as they appeared to be the easy route.
4. There are two tranny cooler lines that run into the tranny cooler located in the front of the car behind the radiator fans. (A) Top cooler line is the supply line. (B) Lower cooler line is the return line.
5. On my car the top cooler line had a rubber hose that connects to a metal line that runs into the cooler. The rubber line was connected with a hose clamp.
6. I unscrewed the hose clamp and slid the rubber hose off.
7. I had a bucket there to catch any fluid.
8. I put the car in neutral with the parking brake on.
9. Had a friend start the car while I'm directing the gushing fluid into the bucket. FYI, Once the car is started it will pump that fluid out real quick!!!
10. I let it pump out about 3-4 qts of fluid and then shut the car off.
11. I reconnected the hose and added 2-qts of new fluid.
12. Back the car off the ramps and let it get to operating temp as well as shifting thru all of the gears.
13. I then added fluid as needed until I had the corrrect level.
I can tell you it was not a bad job to do in order to remove the overfill of fluid.
However I would advise being careful as not to mess up your tranny by pumping all the fluid out of the T/C which is what I did not do. I don't know if it could screw something up or not with the car running with all of the fluid out of the T/C.
Anyway I hope this will help you and others.
Good luck!!!!

Here's the full thread.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124533
this happened to me and had to endup pulling the pan back loose. I had some sort of plastic clip / clamp thing on my hose and I couldn't figure out how to get the stupid thing unhooked. P'd me off! lol
Old 11-11-2007, 10:22 AM   #8
Bar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34266
What I Drive: 2006 green zx4

FF Reputation: -7 Bar Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
I've had trouble getting the fluid level right, myself. According to the specs from this site, it takes 3.2 qts. to fill it back up from a pan drop. Next time, I think I'll just add 3 qts. 7 oz. and be done with it.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:13 AM   #9
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Don't look in the bucket while the car is on- it might be a better idea to disconnect the coil or the inertia switch and just crank it.

Best of luck!

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:40 AM   #10
hotfocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12
What I Drive: OLD: '00 Black ZX3, New: Pontiac G6

FF Reputation: 1 hotfocus Good Standing Member
Too much fluid can cause your seals to burst...drain it to the right level before driving.

Bookmarks & Social Networks