ABS limiting at the track/AX? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-13-2007, 11:09 PM   #1
eventerke
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41299
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 3 eventerke Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
ABS limiting at the track/AX?

Had a great day at the NASA AX today - without going into a long drawn-out story (yet ), how many of you find the ABS kicking in when you're trying to brake at the limit and screwing you up?
I'm starting to get a good feel for using the weight transfer in heavy braking to get the back end of the car rotating, but I'm finding that at the absolute limit the ABS kicks in and destroys the balance I'm trying to use.
WD40 mentioned pulling the ABS fuse puts the braking system balance in a 50/50 limp mode, and is a *bad* idea.

Do most of you just deal with this? Is the ABS really telling me the truth on the braking limit?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2007, 12:00 AM   #2
tua03332
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37555
What I Drive: 2000 Silver Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 tua03332 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
i ended up upgraded my front discs and then pulling the one fuse and found that the biase is mostly even but does favor locking up the back. Play around with it and use which ever feels better to you
Old 05-14-2007, 12:30 PM   #3
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
ABS? What's that?

If its kicking in, I would assume you just exceeded threshold braking.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:44 PM   #4
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
^^^Exactly...you've found the limit.
What tires are you running??

DON'T pull that fuse (46) and expect to stay on track. (or anywhere near on track)
I tried that a month ago at a threshold braking excercise during our test and tune.
While I got out of the hole like a bullet (no TC),
the instant I hit the brakes the car turned 90° sideways since the rears locked up immediately.
Again, I stress...never ever try this on a road course or autocross,
and expect your car not to sustain massive amounts of damage as you leave the course.

The ABS is nothing short of phenomenal on the SVT, especially with the given large rotors.
I'll bet your tires are the limiting factor at the moment, which is why I asked what you were running.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:03 PM   #5
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WD40 View Post
^^^Exactly...you've found the limit.
What tires are you running??

DON'T pull that fuse (46) and expect to stay on track. (or anywhere near on track)
I tried that a month ago at a threshold braking excercise during our test and tune.
While I got out of the hole like a bullet (no TC),
the instant I hit the brakes the car turned 90° sideways since the rears locked up immediately.
Again, I stress...never ever try this on a road course or autocross,
and expect your car not to sustain massive amounts of damage as you leave the course.

The ABS is nothing short of phenomenal on the SVT, especially with the given large rotors.
I'll bet your tires are the limiting factor at the moment, which is why I asked what you were running.
Concur. You found the limit. Tires are also a BIG contributor.

That said. Threshold braking is an art.

Your car demonstrates is highest braking ability right at the point of lock-up or just before the ABS kicks activates.

I am not saying that you do, but most people brake with the ball of their foot. As a result, they are using about 7X the pressure necessary to effectively slow the car.

Try using your toes. They are just as, if not more sensitive, than your finger tips (step on a sharp rock and you jump - put your hand on a sharp rock and you go "OW!"). Using your toes will allow you to be more progressive with your braking and likely not upset the car as much.

A lot of people "heel and toe" using thier toes. Unless you have a lot of time to practice, it takes a while to master. I personally have never been able to get it right.

As for the ABS fuse. WD40 is right. The SVT ABS system is phenomenal. You'll create more problems for yourself by disabling it. Not only from a systems standpoint, but also one of conditioning. Your body (muscle memory) is trained to react when the ABS kicks in. Remove the ABS, not only do you flat spot tires, but your reaction time is slowed as you process how to proceed.

The toes knows.

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 05-14-2007, 01:35 PM   #6
JRODSVT
Dragon Warrior

Fan#: 15362
What I Drive: 03 SVT ZX5

FF Reputation: 97 JRODSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
neither have I but then again i probably don't push my car as hard as others do.
o xxxxxxxxxxxx o
Old 05-14-2007, 02:06 PM   #7
eventerke
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41299
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 3 eventerke Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
OK - thanks for the replies!

I'm running crappy, greasy (when they get hot) Falken Ziex's. They were my "learning set" and now I feel I'm ready to step up to a set of Azenis.
Really helped to learn what it feels like to slide the car around a bit, at least !

I'm hoping to kill them good and dead this Sunday, then I'll *have* to get a new set. They're holding a raffle (AX is a benefit for the JimmyV foundation), and one of the prizes is $500 for tires at Discount Tire - you can guess what I'm hoping for!
Old 05-14-2007, 02:08 PM   #8
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Can't go wrong with a $500 credit toward tires.

Good luck!

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 05-14-2007, 02:34 PM   #9
SpeedOften
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2139
What I Drive: E90 335i, 2002 E53 X5 4.4i

FF Reputation: 28 SpeedOften Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
If you want to disable TC.. get Tom's tune...
and +2865983698 to not pulling the TC/abs fuse... I tried doing once as well and the rear does become quite happy - almost kicked a few cones b/c of it...
Old 05-14-2007, 06:32 PM   #10
tua03332
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37555
What I Drive: 2000 Silver Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 tua03332 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
pulling the fuse as you all noted creates a problem for the less seasoned driver, but for someone who has raced for a while now especially somthing like an MR2, having the rear end "happy" can actually be a benefit if you know how to use it to your advantage and still eliminating the problem with traction control. Since you are switching tires very soon, i recommend on keeping the fuse in and making sure you are 100% comfortable with the car before you try pulling the fuse. It only helps me have more fun around course, not neccessarrily faster since i MAY have only found like .5secs on the leader

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.