Just painted and a stainless front and lower grill to come (56k nap time) - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-10-2007, 07:20 PM   #1
ncslavens
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31399
What I Drive: '02 silver SVT3

FF Reputation: 1 ncslavens Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Just painted and a stainless front and lower grill to come (56k nap time)

Well, I got bored a few weeks ago and got a hair up my to paint my car. So, here a goes nuthin'.

wet sanding and buffing really pays off....what do you guys think of my first real (non rattle can) paint job?

If any one has noticed my signature over the last few months, I haven't had a grill on my car for about a year now. I never have found one that I like that matches the honey comb with out lights in it. So, I'm going to make new grills for the upper and lower grills. When I get these done, I'll make a new rear air damn. It's all going to be stainless steel. I'm not sure wether I'll sand them with a really fine grit for a flat finish or powder coat them black.

This is just a mock-up for the upper grill. It's taped up so I could get an idea wether or not I've matched all the body lines or not. I Think I've got shaperight just gotta put the mesh in it now and finish weld the corners.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:26 PM   #2
midknightrcr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11721
What I Drive: 2003 Silver SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 midknightrcr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
you suck...LOL J/K
looks good so far, excellent choice for the hood, black/carbon center.i got pics in my gallery with my hood the same as yours lol.
i've actually been planning on making my own grill as well. gonna order some honeycomb mesh or hole mesh from mcnichols.com.
looks good so far, keep up the good work
Old 04-10-2007, 07:34 PM   #3
ncslavens
Focus Enthusiast

Just because I know someone's going to ask. Yes, I painted it myself, in the garage. I made a plastic paint tent inside and and a window fan to keep the dust sucking outside of the garage.

total cost of paint and materials $575 (three coats of silver TS and four coats of Chroma-Clrear
time involved so far- about a months of little bitts of spare time

I'm not done yet. The hood is the only part that I'm finshed with. I still have to sand and buff the fenders again and buff the rest of the front end.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:20 PM   #4
brandon0133
1fastfocus05

Fan#: 35345
What I Drive: 2005 zx4,

FF Reputation: 3 brandon0133 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (31)
damn why so much? i bought my paint ua code for my focus,,,only takes 1 qt for the front clip and it cost me about 150$ for the reducer and hardner and primer and thinner and tape and the other stuff they give u like mixing sticks and strainers,,,im useing a single stage paint so i dont need clear coat
TEAM DURATEC #150
Old 04-10-2007, 11:59 PM   #5
Kayak_man
iCTHEWORLDINMYKAYAK!

Fan#: 30025
What I Drive: 2001, twilight blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 13 Kayak_man Great Standing Member
Looks good so far...keep it up! :-)
Old 04-11-2007, 03:06 PM   #6
ncslavens
Focus Enthusiast

Silver is slightly more expensive, and a bitch to get the pigment right. That's why there's three coats. So, that made it a little more expensive. Plus I bought two quarts of it and a gallon of clear. I have extra silver, which is good. I figured since I had never painted the real professional way before, I figured I was going to mess up and have to have extra paint. I have almost a qt left over.

I was thinking about painting the rims to match. I know that they are already painted but the silvers don't match that well. Also the little black plastic piece on the hatch is going to get painted. I think I've got plenty of paint to do that stuff and then some.

thanks for the kind words!
Old 04-11-2007, 03:09 PM   #7
ncslavens
Focus Enthusiast

Oh yeah, and head lights too.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:49 AM   #8
Mr.Bergner
coffee, have some

Fan#: 32799
What I Drive: 2004 TW Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 53 Mr.Bergner Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
That looks killer! Great job. I really like your grill idea as well. I too am fed up with my grills and am looking for replacements but something I can do myself.
I need my body kit painted, roof and some other components painted by summer.
You said the Silver was expensive, how do you think that would compare to Liquid Grey? Also expensive?

*Edit* No, my body kit is not installed on my car...hehe Waiting for paint.
Hatch Nation #29_____________________________________________________________________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
Old 04-17-2007, 10:54 AM   #9
brandon0133
1fastfocus05

Fan#: 35345
What I Drive: 2005 zx4,

FF Reputation: 3 brandon0133 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (31)
i know factory colors like black and cd silver are cheep,,,i bought both for my car
TEAM DURATEC #150
Old 04-19-2007, 04:01 PM   #10
ncslavens
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon0133 View Post
i know factory colors like black and cd silver are cheep,,,i bought both for my car
I guess if you buy cheap paint. The clear coat is dupont Chroma Clear. The base coat is Sikens. Ofcourse, the clear was cheaper. Also, I had it custom mixed and matched at a local I Car Gold certified paint shop. So, That was a little extra. And it was worth every penny. The color is an exact match, no door fade-in from the fenders on it. I agree that generic factory colors are inexpensive. When you're just painting a few things on the car and don't want to do the fade in thing, (or feel confident about doing it, in my case) I think it best to have an exact match so it looks right.

Also, I just painted the headlights. When I put the lenses back on them I was displeased with the way that the silver looks so much darker inside the headlamp assy. I'm thinking about taking them back apart and painting them with a lighter silver. I'll post a pic of them as soon as I get a chance.

Bookmarks & Social Networks