ORP Exhaust Gasket - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-28-2007, 12:38 AM   #1
01BlueZX3
Still Crusin

Fan#: 4702
What I Drive: 01 focus zx3

FF Reputation: 7 01BlueZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
ORP Exhaust Gasket

I put on my ORP pipe with no gasket for the top, where the orp hooks to the exhaust manifold. My question is what kind of gasket is supposed to be used? I went to ford and all they gave me was an O-Ring metal type of gasket. Can I still use this "o-ring" type gasket for the orp? I know this gasket can be used for the stock cat. Would I need a standard type of exhaust gasket for the orp for where it connects to the exhaust manifold?

Old 01-28-2007, 12:53 AM   #2
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Memberillinipo Outstanding Standing Memberillinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
Due to my awesome Random Tech cat (that's throwing codes...) I'm sourcing a gasket for this location next week, I'll post up here when I'm done. Note: there have been numerous threads about the crappy quality of the gasket RT sells. Regardless, I called them and it's 6 bucks if you want to go that route. I guess you could call up Ray at McNews since you're in that part of the country, he might just have one/order one/make one.

For a temp job, I used the "exhaust flange gasket" for a 1955-78 (i think) chevy V8 and some copper RTV. The holes dont line up, so just cockeye it and try to center it. It's holding up suprisingly well after 100 miles of city driving. The girly gets back from a 300-mile trip tomorrow, so i'll post up how the temporary gasket held.

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!
Old 01-30-2007, 11:40 PM   #3
01BlueZX3
Still Crusin

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinipo View Post
Due to my awesome Random Tech cat (that's throwing codes...) I'm sourcing a gasket for this location next week, I'll post up here when I'm done. Note: there have been numerous threads about the crappy quality of the gasket RT sells. Regardless, I called them and it's 6 bucks if you want to go that route. I guess you could call up Ray at McNews since you're in that part of the country, he might just have one/order one/make one.

For a temp job, I used the "exhaust flange gasket" for a 1955-78 (i think) chevy V8 and some copper RTV. The holes dont line up, so just cockeye it and try to center it. It's holding up suprisingly well after 100 miles of city driving. The girly gets back from a 300-mile trip tomorrow, so i'll post up how the temporary gasket held.
I forgot about McNews and RT. I will prob contact Ray and see if he has one handy. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:58 PM   #4
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Memberillinipo Outstanding Standing Memberillinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Alright, made a lot of progress.

Napa, autozone, advanceauto are all a waste of time for this. Those guys are like "uhhhh well what uhhh at least tell me what year it is" and im like DUDE the stocker is AN O-GASKET I want a COLLECTOR 3-BOLT gasket. Sometimes I lose faith in society's ability to think for itself.

ANYWAY the napa guy gave me some headway. He said look for "nitro-seal" sheets. ebay, no. amazon, no. froogle, no. BUT I did find some AWESOME Mr. Gasket stuff on Amazon. the p/n 5961 (6"x24", $13.50) or uhhh.. 5960 for a 10x10 @ $8.50. I figure with the 10x10 you get 9 gaskets, the 6x24 will allow 16 at most. I'm gonna get the 6x24 tonight and see what happens. I mean geez, this stuff is .063" thick! theres no way its gonna blow out. Oh, and amazon has the cheapest price ive seen i think, but this one place on froogle has a free shipping deal. $12.98 total, not bad for 16 exhaust gaskets! Besides, I need new ones for both flex flanges, too!

P.S. the temp gasket/rtv blew out after 200 miles. leaking pretty bad now after 350. I wouldn't recommend wasting 10 bucks on it, unless you really NEED to drive your car (like i did).

SUV this!
Old 01-31-2007, 12:04 AM   #5
01BlueZX3
Still Crusin

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinipo View Post
Alright, made a lot of progress.

Napa, autozone, advanceauto are all a waste of time for this. Those guys are like "uhhhh well what uhhh at least tell me what year it is" and im like DUDE the stocker is AN O-GASKET I want a COLLECTOR 3-BOLT gasket. Sometimes I lose faith in society's ability to think for itself.

ANYWAY the napa guy gave me some headway. He said look for "nitro-seal" sheets. ebay, no. amazon, no. froogle, no. BUT I did find some AWESOME Mr. Gasket stuff on Amazon. the p/n 5961 (6"x24", $13.50) or uhhh.. 5960 for a 10x10 @ $8.50. I figure with the 10x10 you get 9 gaskets, the 6x24 will allow 16 at most. I'm gonna get the 6x24 tonight and see what happens. I mean geez, this stuff is .063" thick! theres no way its gonna blow out. Oh, and amazon has the cheapest price ive seen i think, but this one place on froogle has a free shipping deal. $12.98 total, not bad for 16 exhaust gaskets! Besides, I need new ones for both flex flanges, too!

P.S. the temp gasket/rtv blew out after 200 miles. leaking pretty bad now after 350. I wouldn't recommend wasting 10 bucks on it, unless you really NEED to drive your car (like i did).
O gees. I'm horrible at doing that stuff, making gaskets. I had to RTV the connection to the flex pipe cause it didn't tighten all the way. Seems good for now. If you can, if the gaskets you make works out good, I would buy some from ya. If your willing to do it that is. I emailed McNews also so I will see how that will go. And yeah, believe me I tried all the auto stores imaginable with no luck. They all looked at me like I was from outer space. *sigh. Ugh, I hate hearing the stupid exhaust leak while I'm driving. Flex pipe connection is sealed but it def has to be leakin at the manifold connection since I couldn't find a gasket and I didn't want to RTV it. Let me know how the gaskets you make works out.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:02 PM   #6
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

Well, I got it in on Saturday night. Some good gains from the header! But still somewhat leaky with the make-your-own gasket. After 4 cycles of hot-cold-tighten over the following 24 hrs, I finally got it mostly sealed last night. My problem right now is that I'm using bolts that can't take the torsion force I put on them, which is interesting because usually bolts fail in shear/tension on a 45 deg. plane...

So, get some good hardened steel bots and nuts, 6 washers, 3 locking washers, and a nice, long breaker bar/steel pipe on your ratchet and crank those babys down. It'll seal eventually.

SUV this!
Old 02-05-2007, 06:20 PM   #7
01BlueZX3
Still Crusin

I bought a gasket for the header/orp connection from Tony at NewEdgePerformance and everything is good now. Thanks for letting me know how it turned out though.

Bookmarks & Social Networks