Car Washing - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection

Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection Discuss wax, polish, chamois, microfiber towels, simple cloth towel, scratch repair and paint protection. Use this Forum to discuss your cleaning tricks and techniques.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-03-2004, 08:22 PM   #1
waynestowels
Focus Addict

Fan#: 3433
FF Reputation: 1 waynestowels Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Car Washing

Car Washing

I use 2 methods that work great!

1- This used to be my favorite method- "The 2 bucket Method"
Using 2 buckets, one for "the suds" and one for "the rinse".
Wet the entire vehicle washing away anything that can be removed with water pressure.
Wash one section at a time, using a Microfiber Wash Mitt, as they are great for cleaning and you use less pressure on the finish, decreasing the chance of adding any marring to the finish since the Microfiber is doing the cleaning and you do not have to "scrub".
After washing each section(always working from the top down and keeping the car wet), rinse the mitt in the rinse bucket, as this will kep your washing solution clean and free from debris. (remember to keep the vehicle wet as you are washing)
When you are finished washing the vehicle, switch to wash mitt #2 (you NEVER want to use the same wash mitt for your tires/wheels as you use on your paint, as brake particles and road grime can and will get embedded and can cause swirls to your finish).

2- This is my favorite method-
Using only one bucket with car wash shampoo, use the same method as above, except when it comes time to rinse the mitt, use the spray jet to "pressure wash" the wash mitt clean. It is faster and less "bending and stooping" :)

Old 04-03-2004, 10:22 PM   #2
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
I am a big fan of the second method myself... mostly because it's easier than using 2 buckets, but I'm glad to see it doesn't seem to mean I'm just lazy!
Old 04-03-2004, 10:32 PM   #3
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Haha, same here. I am lazy though.

Also the technique he mentioned in the "drying" thread of using the leafblower, that works great. I even use the leafblower on the car occasionally to blow off loose debris like tiny bits of leaves and whatnot that build up on the sides and rear of the car.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:54 AM   #4
Silver_PZEV23
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4673
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver PZEV ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Silver_PZEV23 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Those all sound like great methods... but as you guys said your lazy... So am I so I help the economy and take it to that car wash LOL
-John
Old 04-11-2004, 10:26 AM   #5
catmomma
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2768
What I Drive: 2004 Liquid Grey ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 catmomma Good Standing Member
it is all about the Mr. Clean Auto Dry in this household. Just got one last week.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:40 AM   #6
waynestowels
Focus Addict

Fan#: 3433
FF Reputation: 1 waynestowels Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I tested it out before it was released and it did not meet our high standards.

We cater to ultra high end owners, car collectors and Concourse cars. After thoroughly testing we were not satisfied with the results.

Upon close inspection there was still small spots on the finish(unexceptable) and the soap is absolutely terrible, the worst we have tested.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:59 AM   #7
WhiteZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4497
What I Drive: 2009 Black Toyota Corolla S

FF Reputation: 1 WhiteZX3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Silver_PZEV23
Those all sound like great methods... but as you guys said your lazy... So am I so I help the economy and take it to that car wash LOL
-John
I second that.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:51 AM   #8
catmomma
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2768
What I Drive: 2004 Liquid Grey ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 catmomma Good Standing Member
I have a show car (68 Mustang) that I do everything by hand. No car wash touches this car. But for the Focus and my Honda the Mr. Clean is awesome. 10 minutes and the car was clean and no spots i could find. I have very hard water where I live so water spots are a major problem. I am even looking into a water softening system for my house with the main reason being so I have a easier time getting my Mustang ready for shows!

I used the Mr. Clean yesterday for hte first time on the Focus. Car had not been washed since the day I brought it home in January.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:57 AM   #9
emilee225
AKA Calamity Jane

Fan#: 200
What I Drive: --2003 Liquid Grey ZX3 (R.I.P.)--

FF Reputation: 1 emilee225 Good Standing Member
Question: I have no water hose at my house/apartment so I have to take my car to the car wash. Usually, I just rinse it, wash it with just the soap that comes out of the hose and then rinse again. This really doesn't do very much because I'm not getting down and scrubbing. So it comes out still quite dirty looking most of the time. I started using the soft brush that they have there and it seems to do a good job, but I feel that it's probably not really soft enough to use on my car. Any suggestions on the best process for washing at a car wash?
Old 04-27-2004, 11:16 AM   #10
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Bring a wash mitt and a plastic grocery bag... squirt the soap on the car and clean with the mitt instead of the brush thing. Then you can toss the mitt in the baggie so it doesn't sit soaking in your car til you get home.

Bookmarks & Social Networks