Focus Fanatics Forum banner

first qtr mile runs

733 views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  kenpokid 
#1 ·
well i am in vegas and i decided to run my car for the first time ever. all i have on the car is a magnaflow exhaust and i am running a INJEN cone filter on the car. my fastest time was an 18.645 @ ~75. what is the deal here. i have those heavy chrome rims on it and horrible tires. i was getting a lot of wheel hop. and i was launching between 2500-3600. i tried all that. the best was 3600. and easing the clutch out a little more than just a drop. the car seemed to bog. what is the deal with that. is there a way to stop the bogging? why is it doing that? i just changed the oil before i came to vegas. so idk. tomorrow hopefully i will run under a 17.

#2 ·
1. yer in vegas
a. its hot as shit
b. its ~4000 above sea level
2. you dont have many mods
3. heavy-ass rims

i know i made a post about times in your other setup, but i didnt realize 1. you were running in vegas 2.had bling-bling rims... a 17 would be about right for your setup...

u gotta remember too, you've got ~110 whp to push a 2600lb car and big rims...

#3 ·
ok first, i know its off topic a bit, but those rims are fugly! sorry but i'd rather see you riding on steelies. and a more on topic note...if you were to change to a set of steelies with some good tires you could probably be in the 17s, or better

#4 ·
yea i know i bought the car this way. i am getting new rims. prolly something light. they were also using a ghey tree and i was getting really bad reactiontimes. and i was running on horrible tires. i wasn't getting very good traction. but i would light em up and they did a bit better.

#6 ·
The big heavy rims will kill you more than you think!... Also, as stated above, the air is not all that great in Vegas so that doesn't help either. Ask the guys at the track what then correction factor to sea level is and that will make you feel a bit better... Keep practicing .

#9 ·
ok heres what you need to do, go look in the bst section and get some stock wheels, put some nice tires on them, then take those rims off your car and sell them on ebay, im sure someone will think theyre awesome, next take the cone filter off your stock intake, replace the airbox and throw a k&n drop in filter in there, then take it back to the track and tell us how it goes.

#10 ·
the panel filter would probably hurt you more than it would help... okay so the cone filter is exposed... the air temp is already ~95°F... motor bay heat aint gonna make that much more of a difference....

besthaticouldo said:
i wasn't getting very good traction. but i would light em up and they did a bit better.
does that sound like 'heat bog' to you?

#12 ·
If it as your first time, don't sweat it, your not going to be a pro your first time out.

You can drop your tire pressure down by about 1/2, this will allow for your tire to hook up better.

Go with only 1/4 tank of fuel.

Practice launcting your car at home.

Do not drive thru the burn out pool at the track, drive around it, street tires do not need ot be heated up.

Kepp windows rolled up.

Keep AC off.

It takes practice to get it down right.

Every 100 pounds you take off your car is good for .1 less on the 1/4. Remove rear seat, your subs, if equipped, if you wanna really get anal, remove the bumpers behind your bumper skins.

Lighter wheels make all the differance.

#13 ·
sc0tty8 said:
Every 100 pounds you take off your car is good for .1 less on the 1/4. Remove rear seat, your subs, if equipped, if you wanna really get anal, remove the bumpers behind your bumper skins.

Lighter wheels make all the differance.

while i'm not one to do a rice-strip of a car, he's right about the wheels... when i took the 18's that had come on my focus(bought it used) off the car and put the double-5-spoke stockers on, it was a whole different car...

#14 ·
AllMotorFocus said:
while i'm not one to do a rice-strip of a car, he's right about the wheels... when i took the 18's that had come on my focus(bought it used) off the car and put the double-5-spoke stockers on, it was a whole different car...
For the size of the focus, I wouldn't recomend anythingmore then a 16". 17" ops, once you go too big, you loose ride comfort and handling, once a wheel gets so big, it really changes how a car should drive.

There is a guy up town here at the local auto sports place, he had 24's for his lightning and said it drove liek crap on corners, he ran the same tire on his winter and summer tires.

#15 ·
Larger rims won't necessarily reduce the handling capabilities of a car. The lower profile tires on larger rims have next to no sidewall flex. My car handled the same with the 18's and 15's, but was a bit quicker with the 15's due to less rotational mass.

#16 ·
next time i will be stripping more out of the car and i want to get some stcok 16's for the car. which would be fine by me. i was getting mad wheel hop and i ran an 18.225 today. which i was excited about. :)

#18 ·
besthaticouldo said:
next time i will be stripping more out of the car and i want to get some stcok 16's for the car. which would be fine by me. i was getting mad wheel hop and i ran an 18.225 today. which i was excited about. :)
be careful with that wheelhop.... too much of that will turn your differential into confetti....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.