Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Seeking recommendation: wet-cell or dry-cell battery?

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  amc49 
#1 ·
The OEM Motorcraft battery for my SVT is $110 and from what I've heard even GM fans acknowledge that the Motorcraft batteries are high quality. But the Optima Red-top for $190 is supposed to be the fancy high-falootin' top-notch battery choice. What I really like is that they are sealed and you presumably don't get battery acid corrosion crud all over your terminals. Are they worth the extra money?

#2 ·
I'd just buy the motorcraft battery personally. I've had two vehicles that the batteries last 7 years in them before they had any issues from motorcraft. I have never had an Optima but the price was to high for how great they supposibly are for me to even consider.

#3 ·
I thought Optimas were gel batteries?

Anyway, there is no performance increasing ability of Optima batteries. My Motorcraft battery lasted 7 years. To reduce corrosion, all you need is grease on the posts before you put the terminals on.

The final problem is securing the battery. The factory gives you a nice corrosion resistant hold-down and a cover. You'll have to do something else with the Optima. I'm sure we have How-Tos on the site somewhere, or someone who can give you advice on how to mount the battery in the car. Be prepared to make or modify something.

#8 ·
Optima batteries are specifically for rough service, why someone says you can do flips with them all day long. I used to sell them, they do NOT last as long as regular wet cells do, look at the warranty, it does not go as far as a regular Motorcraft battery does. I warrantied plenty of them and at 2 years or so, they suck in my view. Many use them on collector vehicles that sit a lot in the garage under the car cover, Optima lasts less in those conditions than regular batteries, they do not like to sit without regular monthly charging and go bad like that easily. Even worse was the propaganda put on people about how good they are, sellers warp the facts and say they last much longer as a selling point and it is an absolute LIE. It's remarkable how many people think those batteries are 'the sh-t'. Expensive garbage in my view.

#9 ·
The advantage of the Optima is that it has more cranking amps and cold cranking amps. However the Motorcraft battery is a very good battery and that is what I have used in the DD's.

I run them in my Contours, one is in the trunk so it was nice to not need a battery box since the Redtop is sealed.

And I don't see why one couldn't be fitted with out modification. I know its different then the Contour but a different size then the stock bettery for the Optima was required to make sure the battery posts didn't contact the hood. IIRC the stock battery was a BXT-40R. The 40 indicates the size of the battery and that the terminals are reversed. The correct size optima was a 34R. Fit without a problem.

#10 ·
I don't see the need for a optima in a daily driven car. I had one I used in my trucks for 10 years before it finally died. The last truck I had it in was a 1978 f150 that I only drove when there wasn't snow on the ground or it wasn't raining. I only drove that truck a couple times each winter and NEVER had to jump start it. Well worth my money not to have to buy a new battery every couple years.

#12 · (Edited)
If you do not need electrical reinforcement, like a higher powered stereo, air compressor or, weight reduction, then a wet cell battery is great(no matter the brand).

On a personal level, I use SQUARE AGM batteries. I do not use Optima's(edit)They are over-priced for what you get.

#14 ·
I've actually seen a higher powered stereo cause voltage issues and the Optima in front of it all sprayed gel acid out of the vent filter. The little round thing on there, they have to vent also, they just don't leak fluid under normal conditions.

Some people, as with any product sold in big numbers will have success, it's just that seeing what comes in all day long to warranty out shows you the gist of things.

Uh, Optimas ARE AGM batteries, or Absorbed Glass Mat using gel fluid. Whether in spiral or any other shape the idea is the same. The mat keeps the electrolyte in suspension. Now everybody makes their copy of that type............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.