Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2013+ Focus ST FRPP Tune info

34K views 60 replies 14 participants last post by  GronkDaSlayer 
#1 ·

Oh my....
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-performance/11058-ford-racing-tune-available.html#post191660

focus/st/guy said:
OK exciting news from FFRP the st tune will be available soon..I have the dyno sheet but can't share it with anyone but i can tell you they found 90 lb ft of torque at 2800 rpm and the car breaks the tires loose in 3rd gear on the dyno...not alot of hp increase but a torque monster..your patience will payoff..as soon as ffpr gets EO approval i will let everyone its available!!!!!!!!
[driving][race] [hihi]

Might be too early to tell since it's still not quite officially CARB certified, but it's shaping up like the FRPP tune is set to massively boost torque in the midrange (claims of up to 90 lb-ft at 2800 rpm over the stock peak).

If it would qualify as a power pack and a ford racing dealer would mark the sale and put the vin in the system appropriately it may qualify as not voiding the base vehicle warranty, just like the Mustang kits.

That's really the only tune I'd consider, or maybe the Mountune, but I'm some what more conservative in my goals for modifying the car so far, and brakes/ lighter wheels and tires might be a better bet sooner.

See less See more
#2 ·
Over on the jet they confirmed it'll be covered under warranty.

#5 ·
Not exactly sure but it seems like they raised the torque targets by a fair margin which massively boosted midrange performance based on the curves presented with a smaller gain in horsepower between 2800 rpm and 5000 rpm near the current power peak. The power already starts to taper off after 5500-5800 rpm anyway so shifting past that point is less beneficial anyhow.

Per the Focus ST owners guide supplement the peak power figures were achieved at 5500 rpm on the stock calibration.

It seems that this tune is focused primarily on increasing the available torque though.

#7 ·
I'm less concerned about peak horsepower than the area under the curve and the increase in the available torque which although it's not lacking on the stock ST, the torque curve is much larger with the tune.

It's the area under the curve that really matters, and it's looking pretty nice so far, although there aren't numbers on that version of the chart.

#8 ·
Disregard what I said earlier. I was looking at solids as one run and dots as the other... not color coded. Was running out of work as I saw this, and let fly a massive brain fart.

#10 ·
How can you even know anything about an as yet un released calibration?

The torque curve looks to be broader with a larger peak and more area under the curve compared to the Cobb stage 1 tunes.

vs.

If hitting 350+ ft-lbs per the estimated scaling is lazy then only hitting 313-318 ft-lbs from Cobb is an epic fail, but no one is running around lynching Cobb, so if that's all you've got to complain about I guess I just don't get it.

http://www.sctflash.com/products.php?PID=2&VID=428#1

SCT's stock tune is only good for 23 hp and 45 ft-lb of torque, which is about half as much as the Ford Racing tune is said to be developing over stock.

It's no where near as half baked as you believe it to be. I'm sorry but what are your qualifications to judge this?

#11 ·
Of course it's all a moot point if you don't care about the warranty and plan on ripping out the stock parts and throwing them away for aftermarket ones, then you'd be better served by the aftermarket tuners.

#14 ·
Suss, I completely agree with everything you've said, your theory is sound, and dynamics are spot on.

Looking at the graph, the power levels from stock to tuned are negligibly different from 4800~ to redline, which is where you will be most times during spirited driving with a close ratio 6 speed like the ST, except during first gear, and corner exiting. It's great to have the extra torque during these two parts of driving, for sure.

If there is actually a demand torque level built into the ECU, and it's calibrated to be able to tell when it gets there, why can't FRP simply plug in 325 ft LBS, do a few pulls to make sure fuel and spark are in check for that, and watch the bucks roll in? The can, and that's all this tune appears to be. Add 30% torque demand, tune what changes or goes out of calibration because of that, and whammo. This is what I see FRP did here.

The turbo is probably blowing the exact same CFM from 3k to redline, which is why torque(and mathematically hp) falls off so badly up top. The balancing act of the CFM offered by the turbo, and the amount actually ingested by the motor are a sliding rule effect that on a small turbo can be quite complicated.

I know it's not what is being pinpointed by this thread, as the biggest plus of this tune is possibly warranty security, but just personal opinion, damn the warranty, if you're sticking with the K03 for the time being, get a more efficient FMIC, hard pipe kit, downpipe, good flowing exhaust, tune for each piece as they are installed, and let the system breathe as well as you can while you save for a real turbo if your goal is moar moar moar! ;)

#16 · (Edited)
Chad said:
So the next item on the board is packaging. Part numbers will be available soon. This is the official packaging, You can buy the Snorkel, air Filter, Procal & plugs as a package.

And then you can just the the Plugs and Procal. I though that you could get the Procal by itself, but that is not what my source is telling me.

Dan's information is correct about waiting for the CARB certification. My source, then goes on to say it might be until the end of the year before that happens. Part numbers will be out soon (Prices...) So, line up your pockets for this Christmas!

CURVES

Ford Racing was kind enough to provide some graphs RE: their Calibration. In order to get these gains you must have the Snorkel, Filter, the Colder Heat Range plugs, and their Procal. These gains were not done with their exhaust. My source says that it was not needed to achieve the gains. Quoted to say, "We have found that cat back exhaust modifications on this package do not result in a statistically significant power increase."

Here is some notes on their calibration:

Ford Racing
*Note that our baseline run is much higher than every other competitor’s baseline run because we are trying to show the truth as opposed to artificially making our FRPP calibration look better than reality. If a competitor is showing peak hp gains with their calibration, take a close look at their baseline run. Odds are it will be less than our baseline run because they ran their baseline with hot cats, or hot manifold charge temperature in order to make their calibration look better. Odds are also good that their peak hp number with their calibration is pretty much the same as ours (if performed on a Dynojet, as ours was). Note also that turbocharged cars should NOT be SAE or STD corrected using the traditional method because the altitude compensation in the traditional correction factor calculations will artificially inflate the turbocharged car power level relative to reality.

Ford Racing
Data was collected in an environmentally (temperature, humidity, and altitude) controlled chamber in an actual vehicle at sea level equivalent altitude.
Their Calibration is 50 state emissions and OBD legal, and has passed Ford Racing's engine durability test on engine dyno.

Ford Racing wanted to point out that, their Calibration will be warranted. Also that if other tuners are confident in their product, why do they not provide warranty?

Any question you have, we can rely to the Ford Racing. I hope you enjoy the information! Thank you Ford Racing for the information and support.
http://fordstnation.com/2013-sema-coverage/7487-ford-racing-tune.html#post100683

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/te...ct_silver_lining_focus_st_calibration_boosts/

Those were a bit less impressive, but he didn't have just the FRPP CAI, k&n filter, and colder plugs with the pro-cal tool, and their cat back exhaust might have negatively affected the calibration, etc...

#18 ·
Release date isn't official yet, looking like 1st quarter 2014 as they were still wating on CARB approvals, but it could be before the end of the year as well based on info from SEMA and what I've heard on the other forums.

#19 · (Edited)
I've been following this Ford Racing Power Kit, which we now know is called the Ford Racing Performance Calibration. I've found it on a Ford Racing parts site, although it looks like a vendor not directly from Ford. Not that it matters but here it is, which shows two kits one with the pro cal tool, cold air intake and colder plugs, the other has all of the above and a Ford Racing cat back exhaust.
http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/category_s/54.htm

#24 ·
Just a note of caution about this, should you have problems the warranty is quite limited:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/catalogs/virtual/index.html#302-303/z

Ford Racing total aggregated liability per qualified vehicle under this LimitedWarranty is $8,000: Each covered component has its own aggregate value, which when combined shall not exceed $8,000 in total parts repairs, except in the Province of Quebec, where the cost of parts and labor are covered. The maximum liability for failed parts by component category under this Limited Warranty is as follows: engine assembly parts $5,000, transmission assembly $1,500, and rear axle assembly $1,500. Under this Limited Warranty, Ford Racing retains the right to replace any failed components with remanufactured parts for the life of the warranty.

#25 ·
I believe that to be wrong after looking closer at the Ford Racing parts web site. that is pertaining to superchargers.

Focus St power package. follow link and then follow
Warranty Availability link on that page. # yrs or 36,000 miles whichever comes first.
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=24026

which will lead you to this page
http://www.fordracingparts.com/announcements/include/Warranty_2012_Packs.pdf

the link you had if you'll notice is a bit confusing because it is on a page with the other mention limited warranty for coverage but follows the supercharger section.
http://www.fordracingparts.com/announcements/include/Warranty_2012_Superchargers.pdf

I could be wrong but after looking at the pages I linked above it looks as though it's 3 years or 36,000 miles.

#26 ·
No, this is the specific text about the warranty coverage limits for any FRPP products covered under the limited warranty. It's explicitly stated in the catalog, however it's hidden from the old 2012 warranty guides.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/catalogs/2014_FRPP_Catalog.pdf

The coverage is 3 years and 36 k miles, but subject to the monetary limits stated in the catalog of $8000 total.

It does not state that it is limited to the superchargers only as you claim their separate pages on the old catalog indicate.

The 2014 catalog makes it clear to me and others on the Focus ST forums that this is not the case.

The monetary damage limits apply to all the FRPP parts subject to the limited warranty provided by Ford Racing.

It would suck to blow up your engine thanks to FRPP and have it not covered as the long block is over $6000. $6732.71 at retail for the complete engine assembly.

#32 ·
Let me get out my shovel here......

Any way, so I finally got to see a dyno with the FRPP tune, not to mention someone posted one a few pages back (on this thread).

The one I seen was on 92 oct, ProCal/Plugs/Snorkel/Filter and was 248whp and 254wtq on a Mustang Dyno. So very close on the numbers with both!

As for warranty information, it has been changed along with Mountune parts now on the list.

#34 ·
It hasn't really changed (the terms and conditions are the same), but now that Mountune USA has come to an agreement with Ford Racing if you have Mountune parts installed by Mountune and registered with Ford Racing, or installed from your Ford Dealer the FRPP warranty is in effect for the MP275 kit components (intercooler, intake, and calibration), but not the downpipe or MR300 calibration.

#36 ·
So the FRPP M-14204-FST calibration and colder plugs will not void the warranty?

#38 ·
OK so far it reads like the warranty will (partially) be in effect. However the $$ comes for Ford Racing as the warrantee payer. With the money limits mentioned, and only for 36mo 36,000 miles, Regardless of the more complete stock Ford warranty on engine components. (and totally OFF the radar of the extended Ford warranty one can buy)

So yes there is 'some' warranty with the Ford Racing. However it is not the same as the actual Ford standard warranty. And definitely is not covering any purchased extended warranty, or powertrain extended warranty found from Ford.
Any disagreement?

If it WAS the actual warranty, and covered buying the extended warranty in full i would get the Ford Racing Tune. However it clearly is not covering anything beyond 36/36. (even though the standard warranty does..or would have except you destroyed the standard warranty with your racing parts.)

IE after 36/36 you are SOL on any warranty related to having the tune: the motor, the tranny.. Big bucks right there.

#40 ·
Ordered that kit this morning... [grinking]

... and I was supposed not to start modding that car [facepalm]

Anyway, I don't know when I'm going to get that stuff (ordered online) but I'll have to schedule an appointment with my local dealership in order to install it. Not that I give a damn about warranty but I don't know any local indy shop around here.

#41 ·
call your local dealers see if they have installed it before, go to the one that have installed a few so you won't be the first.

warranty will cover up to 5k $ from FRPP, limited to powertrain parts only up to 36k/3 years.

from what I have read it's pretty safe, ecu will pull the timing if you put in 87 by accident or got a bad tank of gas. so far no one got problem with it.

the t

#42 · (Edited)
Don't run anything less than 91 AKI octane or the Ford Racing warranty will not cover any damage to the engine due to your running the wrong fuel, (91+ octane).

A stock car will pull timing on 87 octane, but you can not get away with it on the more aggressive calibration.

Premium Fuel Requirement: Customers who purchase power upgrade packs, cold air kits with calibration, TracKey/Track Cal engine calibrations, or superchargers are required to use 91-octane or higher fuels at all times. Any failures associated with the non-use of premium 91-octane fuel will be ineligible for warranty repair.
http://www.fordracingparts.com/warranty/Select_Parts_Warranty_Statement_2014.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.