Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Brake Upgrade

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  felixthecat 
#1 ·
Looking for better brake performance from my 2012. Not terribly impressed in how easily they seem to fade. What pads will offer a significant improvement over OEM, and can I get some that also reduce dust? Stock pads seem to get everything gross pretty quick...

May consider upgrading rotors if it's worth it (which I don't think it is). Still plenty of meat on the factory ones, and I don't much care for slotted/drilled/whatever rotors.

Also, I'd like a bit more "bite" to the brakes. I have to put pretty decent presure on the pedal to stop quickly. Not a huge issue, but I'd prefer if I could get more stopping power with less pedal pressure. I don't need to stop faster, just more aggressively. Is the only fix for that new calipers?

Getting new summer tires before the end of the year, and would very much like better brake performance to go with them.

#2 ·
I had a StopTech "Stage 2" set-up on my WRX and it made a notable difference. You could do something similar with the Mk3... StopTech HP pads front and rear, PowerSlot Slotted rotors all around, and some SS Brakelines... If you wanna go cheap and finish out the stock rotors, I'd suggest SS lines and some good pads. But remember this, good stopping and low dust do not always go hand in hand.

#3 ·
Would stainless hoses mean replacing right from the master cylinder, or are those already stainless? I haven't really looked at the brake lines at all...if it's just replacing lines at the wheels that sounds easy enough. That should give a firmer pedal, correct?

#5 ·
You're correct... The lines from the master cylinder to the wheel area are hard SS lines... The lines I am talking about are braided lines that connect hard lines to the calipers. Quick and easy to replace. Yes, they will help pedal feel. As for quality, there aren't many options yet. The StopTech's I used on my WRX fit perfect and were good quality. I've heard good things about the Goodridge...

#6 ·
I saw the Goodridge through a Google search...I wasn't sure if they were specifically for our 2012s...the description says Genesis Coupe. I'll have to call and make sure Monday. Never heard of that brand, wasn't sure if they're any good.

I'm sure a custom job could be done, but I'm not much for paying others to do things, and I'd hate to over complicate things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.