Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Michigan people

12M views 125K replies 538 participants last post by  Chas 
#1 ·
lookin for those who live in the Michigan area

#73,641 ·
Jelly.

Too bad the best exhausts for the mk5 sound like the worst exhausts available for the focus. Also, i thought $500 was steep for the Focus Borla. Every TBE for the mk5 is $1200+ and sounds like a focus with straight pipe.
Have yet to hear a good sounding mk5 although almost every mk4 i've heard sounds good.........cannot figure it out as they are basically the same family of engine, althought I've been wondering if the muffler location has something to do with it?

#73,642 ·
Engine and turbo are completely different than the 1.8. The platform causes there to be tons of bends in the exhaust so i'm sure that has something to do with the sound. Stock catback is 2.5" and is the quietest exhaust available for the car cause the mufflers are big and there's no real performance gains in swapping out the stock catback for an aftermarket 3". IMO the best sounding mk5/6 use an aftermarket catted/resonated downpipe mated to stock catback and even then they don't sound GREAT

#73,643 ·
I am going to assume that audio competitions are just like every other competition involving automobiles.

people who've never done it come in guns blazing completely overbuilt in the wrong ways and then people who have done it before appear underbuilt compared to the challenger but then wind up blowing the new people away.

I can't even count how many autocross events brad and I got spanked by a stock looking new beetle raced by a chick and her dad....
ain't that for true stock beetle on slicks is hella fast

#73,645 ·
Engine and turbo are completely different than the 1.8. The platform causes there to be tons of bends in the exhaust so i'm sure that has something to do with the sound. Stock catback is 2.5" and is the quietest exhaust available for the car cause the mufflers are big and there's no real performance gains in swapping out the stock catback for an aftermarket 3". IMO the best sounding mk5/6 use an aftermarket catted/resonated downpipe mated to stock catback and even then they don't sound GREAT
the mk5-6 use stroked/bored internals that are the same for the mk4 hence you can use the mk5 (maybe mk6 is different not sure) crank as a stroker option in the mk4

also the heads share similar ports etc and can be bolted onto mk4 blocks. although I didnt think of the fact that it has a slightly bigger turbo (k04 correct?)

and the amount of bends would definitely have an acoustic effect.

#73,655 ·

^devil stance[headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][vommit]

#73,657 ·
Jelly.

Too bad the best exhausts for the mk5 sound like the worst exhausts available for the focus. Also, i thought $500 was steep for the Focus Borla. Every TBE for the mk5 is $1200+ and sounds like a focus with straight pipe.
I love my exhaust combined with the DP. I've got less than $600 invested. It's quiet at idle, there is absolutely zero drone on the freeway, but when you are into it, it opens up nicely and there's enough snapping and crackling to keep me entertained.

the mk5-6 use stroked/bored internals that are the same for the mk4 hence you can use the mk5 (maybe mk6 is different not sure) crank as a stroker option in the mk4

also the heads share similar ports etc and can be bolted onto mk4 blocks. although I didnt think of the fact that it has a slightly bigger turbo (k04 correct?)

and the amount of bends would definitely have an acoustic effect.
K03.

#73,659 ·
yeah audio is another one of those things were people show up saying there gonna win and then leave before the day has gone half way. its not about what you know when competing its about the exp you have from competing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.