Focus Fanatics Forum banner

rear wing removal step by step instrux

2K views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  Sniperx 
#1 ·
Can someone lay it out for me step by step and what tools I need? I am going to pull one for my car tomorrow so need to know. I have to travel 75 miles to go get it and don't want any surprises!

#2 ·
Take a socket set and a flat head screwdriver with you. You may also need something to dissolve or remove the double sided tape that is helping hold the wing onto the hatch. When I removed an SVT wing a couple of years ago I had removed two nuts and then used a plastic knife to cut at the double sided tape. The tape is almost an inch thick, so be prepared to take some time with it. I also used the flat head screwdriver as a wedge. Every time I would cut away at the tape, I would move the screwdriver up so I would have some separating force.

#4 ·
got there with a socket set and needed an open end wrench. So I have to go back tomorrow. No biggie though, I may get the interior and gauges too.

#5 ·
What did you need the open ended wrench for? I think I remember only using a 1/4" drive rachet with a socket and extension to get those two nuts out. But then again, I parted out that SVT almost two years ago so I may have forgotten something along the lines lol. The one thing I definitely remember is that stupid double sided tape that I had to remove to get the wing off.

#7 ·
The studs for the wing are facing straight down, and there is an access hole facing towards the downward facing stud so you need a combination wrench to get it loose. This is a 2002 SVT so may be diff than the one you parted out.

#13 ·
I have a great method for getting things off that are held on with double stick tape. Get a guitar string, the thinnest one. Tie each end on to a dowell rod about in inch in diameter and about 4in long. Slide the guitar string in the slot between the item that it stuck on to the car, and the car, hold each dowell rod in each hand with the string in between your two middle fingers and just slide the string between the item and the car. The tape slices right thru and the item releases right away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.