Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Contour hubs on 13" brake kit???

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  silverknight 
#1 ·
On the 04 ZX3 I had purchased, it has a 13" cobra brake kit, with what I assume would have to be the svt spindles. What is odd, is it appears to have a Ford Contour bearing and hub assembly.

I work at a parts store and compared the focus hub repair kit vs the contour hub repair kit, and the focus one is smaller. The contour kit is what is on the car somehow.

The problem is, the previous owner replaced the axle with a new unit, and its the correct size for the focus, which is too small on the splines for the contour setup.

Does anyone know if a contour axle may have been used? Did Ford have any other hub design from 00-08? All my part numbers are showing the same.

Could a contour spindle have been used for the cobra brake upgrade?

Thanks

#2 ·
Well, I found a instruction sheet online for the Focus RS conversion kit and it seems new axles were part of the kit. However, none of the numbers from the kit interchange in any system including Ford. Tried calling the Ford Racing tech line, but they don't deal with that kit anymore based on age.

So I ordered a contour axle that looks close and will compare measurements to the stock focus replacement unit.

#4 ·
Well, it just seems they use the ford contour setup instead. The problem now is finding a correct axle to work with them. I don't think the RS kit was ever offered for the automatic setup.

#5 ·
I'd say no, measure the length between the mounting ears of the spindle. The svt & '05+ spindles will take the cobra or any bbk. So that means you have svt or '05+ spindles. Check the axles vs hubs nows for compatabltie.

#6 ·
Measured, junkyard hunted, and went through a few vendors worth of part number searches.

My car has the RS knuckle and struts. Strut shaft size is larger than normal Focus, and the hub on the RS did match the Contour. Now the problem is still finding the correct axle.

I was trying to mate a Contour and Focus axle together, but the internals are different, so that wont work. I will be trying an axle rebuilder in a few weeks to see if they can do something for me.

#7 ·
If you get stuck, call Marty at Raxles. He is very good, but offers a premium service and his prices are fair for what he does, but certainly not a bargain.

Would you mind doing me a favor? I am curious as to what the size of the pinch bolt clamp is. If you could measure where the strut goes into the clamp, I'd appreciate it.

#8 ·
i will get that spec tomorrow. done with the cold today. was at the junkyard for 3 hours trying to remove parts and re-engineer them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.