Focus Fanatics Forum banner

An Interesting Article Regarding Tire Age

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Julian@TireRack.com 
#1 ·
Saw this video posted on Facebook and thought it was good information to share, so here it is:

#5 ·
Looks like that clip might have been made in 2008... has any thing been done to better regulate this?

What does tire rack do for their inventory (i.e, keep till 4 years old and return to supplier if not sold?)

2110 21st week of 2010. Being that I got the tires May 2011 they were approx 1 year old when I got them. Not to bad. Looks like they stamped mine on the outside so not that hard to see.

#14 ·
What does tire rack do for their inventory (i.e, keep till 4 years old and return to supplier if not sold?)
We work on a first in first out inventory system, and our guys are usually pretty good about not having too much stock. There are some cases when we'll have old stock or a manufacturer will have stock in thier warehouse that 4 years old or so. In that case, we drastically reduce the price and make sure the customer is aware they are buying a 4 year old tire.

Even in that case though the tires were properly stored for their life in climate controlled warehouses and never sat out in the sun like at a gas station.

#7 ·
Alarmist news media.

Notice the warehouse was full of Ford SUV's, I think the lawyers are playing the blame game and have given up of Ford or Firestone so now they are going after tire shops.

#9 ·
Alarmist indeed. Now we'll have panic-stricken consumers that won't buy perfectly good tires. Maybe they'll get yellow discount stickers on them like at the deli when the meat gets discounted. [rofl]

#10 ·
thanks for the link Carl.

I do find it interesting that they make no note of the load index and how many of those vehicles were loaded up and exceeded the index. nice little clue to me was the "road trip" IE pack tons of crap and people onto the car.... combine that with likely improper tire pressure, high temperature and long operating time... its pretty likely.

why do we see so many separated treads on the freeway? people don't take care of their tires. deteriorating tires don't help though...

#12 ·
I always figured the majority of separated treads on the highway were from semi trucks and their retreaded tires de-treading themselves.

When I went to TX to buy the other car I was astounded by the amount of tire parts on the side of the roads. Here in the frozen north it's rare. You might see at most 1 tire shard per mile, and that's an extreme case.
In Dallas it was like the entire shoulder was made of shredded tires.

Further north we went the less we seen tires.
Just furthers the point of how heat affects tire pressure.

Speaking of,
I'm wondering if it'd be better to rate tires based on weight vs pressure?
More mass will cause pressure to rise faster vs less mass. 35psi at 40*F isn't the same mass as 35psi at 90*F.
Or is the recommended pressures at some type of standard temp (72*F)? (if so that should be published more as well as a conversion for temp)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.