Focus Fanatics Forum banner

*~2008 Ford Focus Intake Thread~*

37K views 150 replies 37 participants last post by  popwarhomie 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, with the growing number of Duratec performance members, owning and bringing in the 08 for Performance Mods, usually everyone typically starts with an Intake.
As of Right now, there are very limited options, and I will go through them below:

---K&N Replacement Filter---

Often these Go also by Drop-In filters, as they require NO modification to be installed.
2008 has an advantage over the earlier Model duratecs, as the earlier models have a 100k non-serviceable filter from the factory.
Wheres in 2008, they have a serviceable filter, which allows it to be replaced by a "drop-in" filter

K&N’s replacement air filters are designed to increase horsepower and acceleration while providing excellent filtration. We make over 1,200 different replacement air filters for virtually every vehicle on the road. These filters are washable and reusable and are custom designed to fit into your existing factory air box. Their drop-in design means adding performance is simple. With most vehicles you simply remove the disposable air filter and replace it with a K&N. See applicable instruction sheet for details. Our stock replacement air filters for street vehicles are covered by our famous K&N Million-Mile Limited Warranty™ and will be THE LAST AIR FILTER YOUR VEHICLE WILL EVER NEED.

33-2401 Product Specifications
Product Style: Unique Air Filters
Filter Re-Oiling Amount: 0.76 oz (23 ml)
Height: 1 in (25 mm)
Outside Length: 8.5 in (216 mm)
Outside Width: 7.813 in (198 mm)
Weight: 1 lb (0.4 kg)
Product Box Length: 11.69 in (297 mm)
Product Box Width: 10.38 in (264 mm)
Product Box Height: 1.88 in (48 mm)

33-2401 Price: $42.19, and usually typically net around 3 to 4hp.

---K&N 69 Series Typhoon Kit---

Built for performance and show, the Typhoon™ Air Intake System is a free-flowing mandrel-bent aluminum tube induction system designed to fit many sport compact performance vehicles. Typhoon intakes come in one of three designs; cold air intakes (CA), short ram intakes (SR), or complete cold air (CCA) intakes which can be configured as either a cold air intake or a short ram intake. Some Typhoon's have high quality finish options including polished aluminum (part ends with TP), powder coated blue (part ends in TB), powder coated red (part ends in TR), and powder coated silver (ends in TS) among others. K&N intake systems replace your vehicle's restrictive factory air filter and air intake housing. K&N intakes are designed to dramatically reduce intake restriction allowing more air flow to your engine. More air means more usable power and acceleration throughout the engine's RPM range.

69-3513TTK Product Specifications
Product Style: 69 Series Typhoon Kits
Estimated Horsepower Gain: 5.24 HP @ 5400 RPM
Color: Textured Black
Replacement Filter: RU-4950
CARB Exempt: No
System Type: Short-ram intake system
Weight: 7.2 lb (3.3 kg)
Product Box Length: 19.3 in (490 mm)
Product Box Width: 14.5 in (368 mm)
Product Box Height: 8.4 in (213 mm

69-3513TTK Price: $321.04 - 5.24hp

---Steeda Short Ram Intake---

Steeda calls it a Cold Air Intake on their website, but infact, it really is a short ram intake.

Steeda's new high flow air intake for the 2008 2.0L Ford Focus is 2 intakes in one all inclusive kit!

Our high flow cold air intake includes an insert allowing you to use it as a direct bolt on intake kit with no tuning required, or remove the insert to for even more airflow and combine it with a custom tune for the most powerful kit on the market for your Focus.

Steeda's cold air intake kit is also designed to use your stock air induction system, helping to take in cooler outside air!

Steeda's high flow intake also features a stainless steel heat shield and high flow cone style air filter for great airflow. Low intake air inlet temperatures can be accomplished with the heat shield and a provision to re-use your factory Ram air. Improved gas mileage will also be noticed!

We got an easy 7hp and 12ft/lbs of torque in mid range RPM's with peaks around 6hp and 5ft/lbs with the insert in place. More to be had with no insert and custom tuning.

$239.95

To read Specifics and information directly related to the filters these 2 use, please check out

http://www.knfilters.com

or for the Steeda

http://www.sbfilters.com

See less See more
#4 ·
good stuff, tho i dont have an 08, but threads like this are why the rep system exists, lol...

sorry honhon, it wont let me give you any more rep right now!!

#6 ·
You cant go wrong with either intake. K&N is great and i use a drop in for my SVT now. But i have used a Steeda SRI for my SVT and my zetec in the past. i never had a problem and they sounded sweet. By what honhon wrote the steeda sri seems to be the best deal for the price and nets you the most hp/tq.

#10 ·
i honestly dont see the air box itself being different... that would probably cost way too much to have 2 different intakes for the same car.

if the 08 is the same as the previous years... the only difference in the intake is a large 1inch diameter tube that hooks into the intake tube right before the throttle body.

#14 · (Edited)
just FYI for anyone looking to buy the K and N..

AJ-USA.com has them for $37.?? SHIPPED.

mine should be here soon :D

UPDATE:

dammit.. just got mine... credit card got declined for insufficient funds.. in the mean time.. AJUSA.com raised the price to $42 and change.. oh well.. i got it now.. here it is installed... i did NOT notice any performance (but hard to tell with the butt dyno i guess)... and its not really much louder.. i even removed the funky resonator pill box.. its like.. half a decibel louder... not quite what i was expecting...

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
I'm looking at the K&N... besides a tad of performance (maybe)... what about mpg? I'm looking to squeeze every last bit of mileage out of this thing. Currently at around 700 miles since new and already at 37.8 MPG. No, I don't drive like a grandma either. ;)

Update: just hit 40.0 MPG! Yep, stock everything except I raised the tire pressure a bit. The dealership had all four at 29 psi.

#24 ·
#25 ·
I've seen this too but I'm hardly doubting that it's compatible with the 08 since no other companies previous models CAI are...............

I could be wrong though?

#26 ·
im going to order the AEM cai in the next week or so and i'll see if it works or not
doesn't hurt to try as i always say

and also what about the warranty factor?
i no my way around cars and i would rather not pay out the ass for a simple job i can do so will doing say springs and a cai void the warranty

#29 ·
As the others stated the warranty wont be effected unless the added part is the direct cause of the warranty issue......

As for the AEM, let me know how it works out. I'm waiting for F2 or FS to come thru but if the AEM works then I'll be all over it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.