Focus Fanatics Forum banner

anyone here SCCA with focus?

3K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  liquid01 
#1 ·
if so was jut wandering what class and what u had to do all to compete... thanks!

Smitty

#3 ·
I have raced my SVTF in Gstock for 3 years, and they are competitive in both classes. (At least at the regional level.) The Mini Cooper and Cooper S own H and G Stock respectively at the national level.

The car is extrememly fun and fast right out of the box!

#4 ·
i am gettin my a$$ handed to me in STS, but recently found out that i should be in FSP because of the throttle body, but no one seems to care that much when all the little civic hatchbacks are beating me consistently by 3-5 seconds in STS

#5 ·
here in Sc im in STSN and my friend john is in STS hes the STS south region champion 2 years running . so u will do good just start now and get used to driving. before u start modding the sooner u start the better. kinda like Carrera26 sig says

#6 ·
^^^+1^

i have never had so much fun losing at something. When everyone else is beating you, all you can do is try to improve your time on every run. I'll be out there this sunday to make the rest of the STS crew look good, and i will enjoy doing it.

#7 ·
i'm going to start running in SCCA here in cincinnati next summer, maybe break in a little bit the end of this year, but not expect to accumulate points yet.

i don't know what class i'll be in though.

i have sumitomo htr zii tires (ultra performance summer tires, almost like the goodyear eagle f1 gs-ds) a short ram aem intake, and i'm about to slap on a focus central 4-2-1 header / flex pipe with a 2.5inch magnaflow catback.

so i don't know what class i'd be in at the moment, but first things first. i have to reconnect my front sway bar! (i noticed it decided to pop off when i was last changing my oil)

#8 ·
Yet again, the only thing that you would be dissapionted in would be not getting in sooner. Experience makes more difference than ANYTHING, and why not have a blast for the rest of the summer?

#9 ·
jaimz22 said:
i'm going to start running in SCCA here in cincinnati next summer, maybe break in a little bit the end of this year, but not expect to accumulate points yet.

i don't know what class i'll be in though.

i have sumitomo htr zii tires (ultra performance summer tires, almost like the goodyear eagle f1 gs-ds) a short ram aem intake, and i'm about to slap on a focus central 4-2-1 header / flex pipe with a 2.5inch magnaflow catback.

so i don't know what class i'd be in at the moment, but first things first. i have to reconnect my front sway bar! (i noticed it decided to pop off when i was last changing my oil)

i think you'd be in STS, not sure if the header and flex pipe bump you up to FSP or not, carrera can probably let you know on that one, but STS can be a tough class. I definately as not in it for the points, i'm in it for the fun. If you want to be in it for the points get ready to spend a lot of $$$

#10 ·
Carrera26 said:
Yet again, the only thing that you would be dissapionted in would be not getting in sooner. Experience makes more difference than ANYTHING, and why not have a blast for the rest of the summer?
i ran at jetfest my first time. i did have fun. my best was 63 seconds even at jetfest and i hit a cone on that run (added 2 seconds) it probably would have been about 60 - 59 seconds flat if i didn't hit the cone because i wouldn't have slowed down

at that time my car was bone stock too. the roads i drive down on a daily basis are like an autocross track. so it's all second nature to me (you know like going 70 around a 15mph suggested curve :p )

#12 ·
well that just means with my turbo ill be in the top class and get the crap kicked out of my by lotuses....great

#14 ·
I am in street modified; I have a SPI focus and do pretty average in the class and in general. I have TB, P&P intake, P&P Heads, Xcal2, Short air intake, SVT rear Sway bar, Prothane brushings, strut bar(front and rear), back seat delete, Soon(by november) will be turbo. I also pull, the radio, and every thing else that is easy to remove from the car when I autox w/ me and a quarter tank of fuel the car is around 2300 lbs, with ~134hp maybe a little more(and like 143 lb/ft of torque)I do fairly well, except for that damn caterham 7

#15 ·
well... on top of money i've made in iraq i plan on dumping about 15K into a engine.... all in all id be around 20-25K with the foci when im done... i've made some nice cash over here and that's what ill spend it on... I dont do the dating scene anymore cause it's a friggin bore if u ask me... so my only girl is the focus... If some of u saw my other thread in zetec chat i wanna make a 2.0L push 25psi with a turbo.... if not a turbo ill look into superchargers later on when i get back to the states.... But besides racing solo... whats the other SCCA race... u can race ur car agianst other cars... like u kno look out the window and haha another car... yeah that typa stuff... what would it take to compete there... I used to do solo/time with my fiero but wanted to go on to something more hmmm advancing.. I got money to back a engine... i just needa know what stuff i should do.... Anyone got any ideas?

Smitty

#16 ·
i wouldn't honestly modify a car that much for autox, wait till you get to wheel-to-wheel racing before dumping for that level of mods

#19 ·
^^^Have you ever tried it? If nothing else, it's great training for wheel to wheel racing.
"If Autocross was any easier, it'd be Road Racing"

#20 ·
i was 1 second slower then a viper on the autox last sunday i only got one run in do to hitting debris on the course and losing a tire after my first run[B)] ( irun slow on my first run) and that was from his best run. I am kind of happy[:)]

#21 ·
If I were going to dump $15k into a focus, I'd be going for a full-out race car for the NASA spec Focus racing series. Or maybe I would buy a used fully-prepped rally car and just try out one of my dreams. It's your money in the end, but I wouldn't dump such a large amount into a car you've yet to even race. The only way to know what your car needs to better adapt to your driving style and your driving style to adjust for its driving character for maximum speed is to learn how to drive it the way it is.

Better yet, save all that money for track days and other events for the next decade for you and whatever car you have at the time. Build a used stripped race car for fun! The possibilities are endless.

If I could, I would buy a used sports bike, and make it into a track going vehicle. They're less expensive to maintain, run, and replace, blah, blah... this is a focus forum. [:)]

You just have to suck it up and try it. Spend that measely $25-50 to participate, stop making excuses to not do it, and just go and have the fun everyone keeps telling you that you'll have. Learn much more about how to drive your car in a legal and safe environment in good company. Honestly, you have nothing to lose but the time you waste telling yourself, "I'll do it once I..."

Enough preaching and to answer the original post, yes I do participate in SCCA events - specifically, Solo II. I run STS, and I'm in first place right now out of consistency of attendance. [:)] I was doing very well starting out in the season and slowly closing the gap on the best competitor in my class. However, as of late I have been losing time on him. I think it's time for a driving school... and uh, to install that Koni Sport Kit that's been sitting in my garage for over a month and a half now. I'm actually considering selling it and possibly getting camber plates instead since those (I believe) would be more beneficial than a stiffer suspension. Ideally, I should keep the suspension and eventually get the camber plates, but money runs low. I still need to pay off the money I owe my university and enroll for the fall! [eek]

#23 ·
Used to run 4cyl cars on the dirt track... but dirt to pavement is different. And i ended up quitting the dirt races cause i landed in the hospital for a few weeks after my car flipped.... several times. anyway ill look more into it and see further on... gotta make it back from iraq still

Later and thanks

Smitty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.