Focus Fanatics Forum banner

DCT Revs and Speed question

5K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  zehkaiser 
#1 ·
This is my first time with a DCT, my previous cars have been manuals. In a manual, when you engage the clutch in gear and push the gas the revs build as the speed builds. In my DCT focus, when it shifts into 3rd and 4th gear and the clutch engages (i'm continueously giving it gas) the revs seem to bounce a bit up and down at first as the speed increases. After maybe 1 or 2 seconds the clutch locks and the revs build as it should.

In a manual car this would be clutch slipping, but with a DCT i'm not sure if this is some sort of feature that makes the gear changes more smooth (i.e. slowly matching the revs with the speed). The ride is still smooth, but my concern is that doing this constantly would lead to faster clutch wearing no?

has anyone else noticed this in their car? should this be something I should be concerned about?

I also noticed that this only happens when im driving the car at a casual pace. If i'm really pushing the pedal the shifts are noticeable and the revs build as soon as the clutch locks (no bouncing around).

#2 ·
Mine does the same thing. Ford mentions the concept of "microslip" in the DCT which I interpret as allowing the clutch to slip slightly make the experience a bit smoother. In some conditions, mine will even exhibit this behavior if gas is given suddenly when cruising, but not enough so as to cause a downshift.

Let's hope this is normal. Maybe the Ford rep could comment. Cory?

#13 ·
Hi dan50,

Cory is working on a new project so I'll be stepping in to assist.

Since I'm not a mechanic, I'm not in the best position to answer technical questions. Your local dealership's service manager is a great resource for determining whether or not your vehicle's behavior is normal.

Crystal

#3 ·
Hmm ok, well its good to hear others experiencing this and it's not just me. I figured it was some kind of feature to make the shifting smoother and more automatic-like. My thoughts are doing the slipping constantly over time will lead to faster wear.

#4 ·
I too have noticed the same behavior, "microslip." Details are sparse, but I would assume it's clutch slippage to make smoother shifts. Certainly that will wear the clutch down faster. I'm sure Ford has designed the transmission in such a way to last through the warranty period, but after that, who knows. Clutches are wear parts after all.

Also do not expect Cory or any Ford rep to comment. Cory isn't here to answer questions, just to escalate customer issues.

#5 ·
Im glad you brought this up. I've been meaning to do the same. I notice this behavior with highway on-ramps. I will get a rate of acceleration I'm comfortable with and hold that.. The Speed and RPM's seem to be climbing at a synchronized rate and then on 3rd gear or 4th.. Maybe both. Thats when the RPM side just hovers around 3k RPMish but the Speed is still rising so I assume if the clutch was slipping like it would in a traditional manual tranny my speed would be dropping off.

Like you, this behavior concerns me of clutches slipping and burning up. If I let up on the gas it seems to do this less and will just shift into 5th/6th.

I've never smelled burnt clutch so it must be by design. (at least that's what convinces me).

FWIW, My clutches were completely replaced a few months back due to a TSB involving leaking seals. Prior to getting the clutches replaced. My shifts were all over the place, never could find the right gear and made a horrible noise at some RPM's. After the new clutches, it's like a completely brand new car. No shifting problems except for just this strange slipping sensation.

I definitely hope it's supposed to do that and that I'm not looking at replacing clutches at 36k miles.

I firmly believe though that the DCT tranny will never see 100k miles without some major repairs. If it turns out the average life of the DCT transmission exceeds 100k. I'll be mighty impressed.

#7 ·
I thought this was my transmission clutch going out. I have the point where I accelerate, my rpm's go higher, but it doesn't down shift and tend to just sit there. Might be I hit the gas to hard but older cars has no problem with down shifting and such. Maybe I should get a new clutch before my warranty is up.

#9 ·
I firmly believe though that the DCT tranny will never see 100k miles without some major repairs. If it turns out the average life of the DCT transmission exceeds 100k. I'll be mighty impressed.
Are you referring to the clutches themselves?

I've read nothing to suggest that the "gearbox" itself is inherently unreliable.

#10 ·
Agree. The gearbox itself should be very long-lived: if everything works right there are no missed shifts, no improper clutch action, no gear clashing, etc. The microslipping (if that's what we're experiencing) seems to occur when not a lot of torque is being transmitted, so I'm not that pessimistic about clutch life either.

#6 ·
Since this type of trans/engine management has been used in F1 for what the last 15 years. With drive by wire throttle, the ecu controls everything, air, fuel, ignition, clutch, and shifting. I undestand this isn't a million dollar control system but, Europe has been using this in the Focus two years before released here, didn't they learn anything from that ?

#8 ·
Since this type of trans/engine management has been used in F1 for what the last 15 years.
F1 cars use a dual clutch transmission similar in operation to that of the Focus (and not a single clutch sequential transmission)?
Are you sure?

With drive by wire throttle, the ecu controls everything, air, fuel, ignition, clutch, and shifting.
That's not how it works in the Focus. There is a separate PCM and TCM.

I undestand this isn't a million dollar control system but, Europe has been using this in the Focus two years before released here, didn't they learn anything from that ?
The first (and only other) application of the Focus DCT was in the Fiesta.

#16 ·
The pinto exploding with a rear impact was "normal" as well I guess.

The DCT twice has shifted so hard in low speed traffic that it felt like I was rear ended, in fact it was a worse lurch than the coulple times I have been rear ended, and I only have 200 miles on the car so far. Hopefully it gets better with use because if not it's unacceptable.

#17 ·
Microslip is to be expected, so it that tiny burst of torque when you shift up or down to keep things smooth.

As far as reliability goes, I'd take anything from this forum, VWVortex or any other site with DCTs involved with a grain of salt since its really the people who hate them who have issues.

As far as the 100k without issues nonsense, VW has been using transverse DCTs for a lot longer, I've heard of no horror stories. A friend has a longitudinal DCT and also has never had issues in 4 years so really, I'm unsure what to make of all the paranoia around them.

#18 ·
I don't know if It can be said that Ford's version of VW's DSG is one and the same. I do know that VW has extended the warranty on all DSG or S-tronic transmission for 10 years/100,000 miles. Yeah and they've been at it with this tranny far longer than Ford. Do we have the same coverage on our less proven DCT?

#23 ·
I have noticed the 'microslip' that people are mentioning. I don't like it much, but there isn't anything we can do about it. I drive almost exclusively in manumatic (except for stopping). The shifts are less likely to slip, and I can always be sure I'm in the right gear to avoid bogging down in a climb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.