Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Utahns

731K views 10K replies 94 participants last post by  duvinclunk 
#1 ·
So anyone been to the races yet?

#4,177 ·
It really depends on the corporation mike. Century/Cinemark is a horrible company to work for. Carmax (my past company) was a horrible corporation. But Discover Financial Services (my current company) knows how to take care of their employees. I have awesome benefits that started on my first day. Pay is great for starting pay with no experience. And I get evaluations every month to see if I am on track to get my raises at the 6 month marks.

#4,178 ·
Well that I figured... I know there are the select few that are great (Honda being one of them) that do take care of their emps well.... Just a lot more that don't and simply I just don't even want to deal with all the corporate shit in the first place..... I all honesty, I MAY be making the mistake of going to college (trust me I know it's 100% worth it... Just see my point though) as I'm more than likely gonna end up back at my current shop and slowly taking ownership... Won't need another interview or a degree there.

Edit: oh I forgot to mention.... Since you brought up evals and raises, I don't remember if we are supposed to have 6 month evals or yearly evals, but I CAN tell you my last one was almost a year and a half ago, which was superceeded by the new min wage anyway. So YES I'm making minimum wage still while new people are making more.

And every time I ask them about mine or tell them what's up, they either smile and say "that sucks" and walk off, or will say things like "when is yours due?" or "I'll check and see if your name is on the list" or when I complain about it "stop asking or i'll give you a 0, I'll get to it." and when I DID have mine (which was only the 6 month, no 3 month) I got an 8 out of 10 on it, and I'm willing to bet I'll probably get worse on it now since I've pretty much lost all motivation to be there.

Especially when they want me to upsell every single transaction, so whenever I had a huge line I'd stop doing it because everyone in line would hear it 20 times and cut me off anyway, but then they have to come around and "remind" me to upsell every transaction.... Good thing I got out of concessions. I love and can handle floor, just kinda hate most of the people on it. Miss the concessions people.

This is SO not worth 7.25 an hour (more like $5.50 after taxes) To work 12 hours a weekend, then have most of it taken away anyway. I'll gladly take my $7 an hour after taxes 12 hours a day five days a week job over the same job 4 hours a day five times a week plus 12 hours a weekend at the theater.

#4,179 ·
When I was a supervisor there I was working 16-20 hour weekends and 50-60 hour weeks during the summer for $7.50/hr. It's a shitty company. They don't care about who works there. Only that they make money. I'm tellin' ya, get out while you can. Find something.

#4,180 ·
I'm happy with my other job though.... Not much else on the weekend. I keep saying how I'm gonna quit every weekend, but my dad keeps saying "just till the end of summer"

I've tried applying at officemax/depot and bestbuy, but they use those goddamn impossible to answer systems that rejects you if you failed. I had applied for car audio.

I just now thought though... What about a parts runner/parts desk for checker or something? :) i'd get to spend a lot of time in a ranger lol.

Hmm that's got me to thinking now though. The interview would be easy, I already know what to say. Basically it would be me working on the customer service end of my career....

#4,181 ·
Mike, when supervisors and managers give you the run around on something like raises and also threaten you about NOT giving you a raise if you simply ask about i would take it directly to HR. the HR people don't take things like this lightly. i say stand up to the man and go there. then that will really get the ball rolling on that.

but honestly i would ditch that crap in a heartbeat, i mean it's good for 16yr olds but when you get older and actually realize they're a POS it's time to move on.

i can see if my step dads work is hiring for their warehouse (part pickers) if you'd be interested..? larry H miller ford on 13th south.

the company i'm working for currently, Easton, has taken GREAT care of me. the bennefits rock, the environment is chill. nobody hassles you about things, we all work together to get crap done. it's pretty amazing that i got this job through a temp agency..

#4,182 ·
Mike, a friend of mine works at checker. I think he's making like $9.00/hr or something like that. He says they are a part time company though so if you ever wanted to go full time with them you would need to get into management. But since you have the other job you probably won't mind.

#4,183 ·
my new home theater receiver will be delivered today, woo hoo!

#4,186 ·
lol well I just meant for a part time job..... at least for now. They're open fairly late though on weekends, which is nice.

#4,187 ·
...in other news, my wife came for lunch and now her car wouldn't start. couldn't jump it for like 20 min so we finally got a bigger set of cables and let it charge for 15 minutes. came back out and it started. let it run for 10 min, hop in to go run an errand and I notice the speedometer was jumping around a little while the car was still idling. put it in reverse and got like 3' before it died again...GRRR.

#4,188 ·
lol nice.........how old is the battery? sounds like ya need a new one.

btw my CEL keeps coming on (fuel level sensor malfunction) and I clear it and it comes on again. and when I start the car it takes about 15 seconds for the needles to respond. the odometer comes on normally though

#4,189 ·
battery may be original to the car, '03. not sure. that will be the first check.

#4,190 ·
well my car started fine today, and always does! (except the known issue with 05s)

normally i'd be like OH YEAH IT'S FRIDAY!! BUT i work another 8hr shift tomorrow! at 7 AM wtf. i just keep telling myself it's overtime it's overtime. so that does help. i can't wait for next weeks check..
i get paid every week, and i think that's how ALL jobs should be. it's sooo much better this way.

P.s. Brock you know what costs 4k right?? mmmmmm BOOST!
i know i know, you've got a family! but just imagine, vrrrrrr pshhh!

#4,197 ·
Ya I get to work tomorrow too. No overtime though since I had work off on wednesday. I'm not too thrilled about it.

Mark I would totally get boost if we weren't going on vacation and using $1500 of this to return to pay for it! You're tempting me too bad!!! I want boooooooosssttt!!

wow i went car shopping with Kobe toaday and I think I want a M3 now, I actually fit and have a ton of room it was probably the first car Ive ever sit in that I didnt have to have the seat all the way back it was amazing

Time to do some research on E46's, EDM for life!
M3's are sick! The only thing I dislike about them is the price tag.

#4,200 ·
Yeah those are awesome.... But just like every other german car they're a bitch to work on. Go ahead, find a pic of the engine bay. I dare ya. Lol. Freakin plastic cover crap over the whole damn engine...

Edit: here, just for you lol. E46 engine bay: care to guess what's in that silver container in the front of the engine in the middle?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.